Rollaway Beds and Bed Bug Protection

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusanHillside

Reaction score
I’m seeking current up to date advice today on two topics.

1. Does anyone have a recommendation for a rollaway bed? I have one large room that has a queen size bed in it. But it could accommodate a rollaway two. I have had requests for this. There is an extra closet in this room that will hold this bed no problem

2. I want to invest in bed bug protection for all my rooms. I have 3 rooms each with a queen size bed and the rollaway in the future. I’d like secure bed bug protection that is not noisy, i.e. crinkly vinyl, and that is not hot for the guest when sleeping.

I welcome all advice!!! Thanks so much

Susan

1. Can't help with the rollaway, we did away with the one we had. It just was not a good experience for the guest who had to sleep on it or the innkeeper who had to set it up or the housekeeper who had to clean around it.
2. Search on mattress covers that are made for people with allergies. They have been around the longest and are quiet.

Is there room for a daybed instead? I did that with 3 of our rooms which have a queen bed. This way the daybed can double as a sofa or a single bed. Much more comfy than a rollaway.

I'd nix the roll a way idea. We don't do that because of the wear and tear on the room with extra luggage and people bumping the walls. They also are not comfortable.
I would also looking for a good bed bug cover that is not noisy. I currently have a mattress cover and that is it.

Rollaways are expensive and ugly and uncomfortable, and they smash them around in the rooms, and you aren't a hotel. Right? You can do a futon that fold outs, for another option.
For us, we have two rooms with a sofa bed, and even those we charge $40 additional person, let them book 2 rooms!
PS Welcome to the forum!
welcome.gif

Thinking about this...the rollaway bed issue. Our first year here guests asked a lot about having the rollaway in their room as the PO's had done this a lot. Seriously I do not know where they crammed that bed in. You're saying you have room, but do you have a lot of room? Try this- go into the room where you want to be able to use the rollaway and tape off the section of the floor where you think it will fit best. Now try to move around in the room.
You have the potential now for 3 guests in that room, 3 sets of luggage, 3 laptop bags, 3 purses, 12 pairs of shoes, 3 coats or jackets, 3 piles of reading material (and you'll need to provide lighting and a table for this rollaway, too), you see what I mean?
If you really do have room for the rollaway, splurge on a real bed. Get a twin bed or a futon.
The PO's (that's Previous Owners) stored the rollaway in the shed. We took it out once just to see what kind of shape it was in. Moldy and full of spider webs. I realize you are going to keep it in the room, but it will get 'stale' smelling and possibly spidery. And the linens are an odd size.
We told guests we had gotten rid of the rollaway and suggested one of the rooms with 2 beds. As time has progressed, the request for a rollaway only comes up when someone wants to cram a lot of people into the room to 'save money'. It doesn't save me anything to have them crammed in the room, so we made the choice to not do the rollaway or air mattress.
An air mattress might be a better option but I would only offer that or the rollaway for a child. Never an adult. Believe me, the person splitting the cost who 'gets' to sleep on the rollaway is going to tell that part of the story to everyone. 'Yes, I paid $100/night to sleep on a rollaway bed. Everything else was wonderful but I didn't sleep a wink for 3 nights!'

I have spring-loaded canvas cots that we used to use when we went camping. They do not have the support bar in the middle that "kills" your back and they roll up to fit in a canvas bag no bigger than one of those fold-up chairs. They are about 6 or 8 inches above the floor - perfect for a kid and that is who we put them up for. It does ruin the ambiance of the room.

Look on this site under resources, linens. I put a link to saferest. I use these mattress encasements and they're great. Not crinkly at all and you can get them at wholesale prices.

Thinking about this...the rollaway bed issue. Our first year here guests asked a lot about having the rollaway in their room as the PO's had done this a lot. Seriously I do not know where they crammed that bed in. You're saying you have room, but do you have a lot of room? Try this- go into the room where you want to be able to use the rollaway and tape off the section of the floor where you think it will fit best. Now try to move around in the room.
You have the potential now for 3 guests in that room, 3 sets of luggage, 3 laptop bags, 3 purses, 12 pairs of shoes, 3 coats or jackets, 3 piles of reading material (and you'll need to provide lighting and a table for this rollaway, too), you see what I mean?
If you really do have room for the rollaway, splurge on a real bed. Get a twin bed or a futon.
The PO's (that's Previous Owners) stored the rollaway in the shed. We took it out once just to see what kind of shape it was in. Moldy and full of spider webs. I realize you are going to keep it in the room, but it will get 'stale' smelling and possibly spidery. And the linens are an odd size.
We told guests we had gotten rid of the rollaway and suggested one of the rooms with 2 beds. As time has progressed, the request for a rollaway only comes up when someone wants to cram a lot of people into the room to 'save money'. It doesn't save me anything to have them crammed in the room, so we made the choice to not do the rollaway or air mattress.
An air mattress might be a better option but I would only offer that or the rollaway for a child. Never an adult. Believe me, the person splitting the cost who 'gets' to sleep on the rollaway is going to tell that part of the story to everyone. 'Yes, I paid $100/night to sleep on a rollaway bed. Everything else was wonderful but I didn't sleep a wink for 3 nights!'.
We had to find a home improvement store to repair a hole in the dry wall that my niece made when she jumped on or off a rollaway, and then paint it. And apologize. Yes, we did this. It was not a good day, it was an accident, but these beds are metal and awkward. I would rather sleep on a rock.
tounge_smile.gif

Just a couple of weeks ago, for evaluation, I bought "stretch knit" mattress and pillow protectors from InnStyle. They are breathable polyester silk cloth, not plastic, and I haven't heard any sound at all from them. They are both waterproof and bedbug proof. I think the material is sort of like goretex. Air passes through, but nothing else.
I paid $4.73 for each pillow protector and $31.28 for the mattress protector, with free shipping. That includes a 10% discount, I guess because it was for my first order from them.
You have to contact them for a username and password to see prices at the website and place orders.

An air mattress might be a better option but I would only offer that or the rollaway for a child. Never an adult. Believe me, the person splitting the cost who 'gets' to sleep on the rollaway is going to tell that part of the story to everyone. 'Yes, I paid $100/night to sleep on a rollaway bed. Everything else was wonderful but I didn't sleep a wink for 3 nights!'.
We had to find a home improvement store to repair a hole in the dry wall that my niece made when she jumped on or off a rollaway, and then paint it. And apologize. Yes, we did this. It was not a good day, it was an accident, but these beds are metal and awkward. I would rather sleep on a rock.
tounge_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
I would rather sleep on a rock.
tounge_smile.gif
No comment.
wink_smile.gif

I use a couch or loveseat the opens to either a queen or single bed. Less hassle and the ones nowadays are very comfortable. I would rather not be banging around with a cot.
RIki

We had a fold out bed or you can get some with a full size mattress that slides under the normal bed you just pull it out when needed which would be the most comfortable. We got rid of the fold out bed as it weighed a ton and bought a one of the slightly more expensive blow up beds ie covered in sort of velvet stuff and doesn't squeek. It folds up very small for storage and is light to move about and inflates with a pump. It is a much more efficient option for us and only cost about $20 in the summer camping equipment sale in asda. They also did one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Army-Fishing-Festival-Camping-Olive/dp/B0025YIAP6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1330698417&sr=8-4
which folded up like an umbrella

One consideration: if you don't offer a rollaway the guests may book 2 rooms rather than one, so you make more money. In a way, having a rollaway is competing with you selling rooms.
But of course you have to weigh that with the possibility that if you don't have the rollaway people may book elsewhere. Just have to think it over, or flip a coin.
I'm thinking the hassle of setting up/taking down the rollaway, finding space to store it, the discomfort of sleeping on one, and the crowding it causes in the room, and more banging of the walls and people tripping, may make it better to NOT have one, and hope people will just book an additional room.

One consideration: if you don't offer a rollaway the guests may book 2 rooms rather than one, so you make more money. In a way, having a rollaway is competing with you selling rooms.
But of course you have to weigh that with the possibility that if you don't have the rollaway people may book elsewhere. Just have to think it over, or flip a coin.
I'm thinking the hassle of setting up/taking down the rollaway, finding space to store it, the discomfort of sleeping on one, and the crowding it causes in the room, and more banging of the walls and people tripping, may make it better to NOT have one, and hope people will just book an additional room..
I have been known to DEEPLY discount the second room to avoid setting up the canvas spring-loaded cot!
BTW, I have slept on these cots and they are more comfortable than a roll-away but not as comfortable as a real bed. When I set one up, I put an "egg-crate" foam mattress on it, mattress pad, and then the sheets.

I'm thinking the hassle of setting up/taking down the rollaway, finding space to store it, the discomfort of sleeping on one, and the crowding it causes in the room, and more banging of the walls and people tripping, may make it better to NOT have one, and hope people will just book an additional room..
I have been known to DEEPLY discount the second room to avoid setting up the canvas spring-loaded cot!
BTW, I have slept on these cots and they are more comfortable than a roll-away but not as comfortable as a real bed. When I set one up, I put an "egg-crate" foam mattress on it, mattress pad, and then the sheets.
the trouble is as well if the child is say 7. you arn't going to put them in a strange place away from their parents its asking for trouble.
Also you don't sell a second room and make more money they just don't book its that simple.

We bought a futon for one of the rooms. Seats two to three nicely and looks just like a sofa, but turns into a double bed. There are a number of futon available, this one is the top of the line mattress with springs. Doesn't last as long as a cotton futon, but is infinitely more comfortable.
For bed bugs, you can sometimes get silk bedbug covers, they need to be woven to less then 3 microns. Or you can use the polyester ones and cover that with a standard mattress cover. You definitely need one that has a flap to cover the zipper, which is generally the most vulnerable part. The enclosures are meant to be used before or after an infestation. Essentially they keep those inside, in or those outside, out.

the trouble is as well if the child is say 7. you arn't going to put them in a strange place away from their parents its asking for trouble.
Also you don't sell a second room and make more money they just don't book its that simple.
Under 10, the cot goes up in the room with the parents. And they MUST take the biggest room. It there are more than 1 kid, the kids must be old enough to go in a second room or 1 parent in each room. We have had families w/2 kids (a family from the Netherlands that I remember) that I gave the second room for 1/2 price - week night and otherwise empty house. There is no way I am having a toddler wandering and doing a roll down my steps. For the 2 and under, I set up the pack n play.

When I was looking at a local furniture store I discovered they sell an upholstered chair that pulls out to a twin bed which had inner springs.
Even though I haven't purchased one yet it's a great option.
You would have a seating area when not in use, the opetion to use it as a twin bed and no storing it.
Granted the width of the chair had a larger foot print than a standard chair but possibly an option to consider.
I think it ran around $400.00

Is this for kids? or adults?
Man we can really run the gamut with these threads on this forum. Is the roll away for a kid or a third person in the room? We don't accept kids under 14, so that is not an issue and our rooms are designed for two adults. But, we do have the sofa bed should we need it, on ocassion we do. No you can't put a kid in their own room.

Back