Romance Package Reviews

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
Taking in to account that the absense of negative feedback is not the same as positive feedback, have any of you ever received feedback of any kind concerning your romance packages?
According to Google Analytics, our Romance Package page is the third most visited page on our website. The actual number of buy-throughs is somewhat lower. Though we have consistently received positive reviews overall, we have never received any comments whatsoever concerning our Romance Package. This has me thinking that or package must be underwhelming.
We offer: Champagne w/flutes, chocolates, flameless candles, rosepetals on the bed, with an extended breakfast time and late checkout. Massages and flowers can be added al a carte. Our base price is $60, which I think is cheap.
There are many things we could do to enhance the package... In fact, we had more options available. We found that it just increased our overhead without increasing the sales. I think a lot of it has to do with our demographic.
For those of you who aren't familiar with our setup, we have small cottages. We are in Texas, which is very warm most of the year, so we don't have fluffy robes. The cottages aren't designed for the consumption of food within the rooms, so "breakfast in bed" and chocolate covered strawberries are impractical.
Thoughts and suggestions?
One final observance: a romance package is only as romantic as the couple that is sharing it.

Have never had a single review mention the guest had bought a package or add on. Have never had a guest comment on any add on other than tickets to go do something that they ended up liking a lot. Or hating. Wait, I take that back, did have one guest comment on how awful the restaurant was and suggest I sever my ties with them regardless of what kind of deal they were giving me. (0 deal, I paid full price for their meal.) Same night another couple loved the same restaurant. Grain of salt and all.
My take on it is simple- even if no one buys it, it may be bringing them to the website and then they just book a room which is all I really care about. The add ons are extra work as everything has to be brought in and set up for guests who may or may not show up on time (chilled sparkling cider gets warm, chocolates start to melt, etc).
So, make it easy on yourself. If no one asks for anything other than what you provide, do what you have the time for. But don't delete the pkg because it doesn't sell. If nothing else, it may give the guest some ideas of their own and then they enjoy their stay more because they did something they wouldn't have thought about without seeing it on your site.
If you want to expand the pkg or change the details of it, check around to see what other places offer. In your location, with the outdoor firepit, I might offer a s'mores add on (with the champagne!) or something based around the firepit. Or a picnic lunch to take on your trails.

Have never had a single review mention the guest had bought a package or add on. Have never had a guest comment on any add on other than tickets to go do something that they ended up liking a lot. Or hating. Wait, I take that back, did have one guest comment on how awful the restaurant was and suggest I sever my ties with them regardless of what kind of deal they were giving me. (0 deal, I paid full price for their meal.) Same night another couple loved the same restaurant. Grain of salt and all.
My take on it is simple- even if no one buys it, it may be bringing them to the website and then they just book a room which is all I really care about. The add ons are extra work as everything has to be brought in and set up for guests who may or may not show up on time (chilled sparkling cider gets warm, chocolates start to melt, etc).
So, make it easy on yourself. If no one asks for anything other than what you provide, do what you have the time for. But don't delete the pkg because it doesn't sell. If nothing else, it may give the guest some ideas of their own and then they enjoy their stay more because they did something they wouldn't have thought about without seeing it on your site.
If you want to expand the pkg or change the details of it, check around to see what other places offer. In your location, with the outdoor firepit, I might offer a s'mores add on (with the champagne!) or something based around the firepit. Or a picnic lunch to take on your trails..
Madeleine said:
In your location, with the outdoor firepit, I might offer a s'mores add on (with the champagne!) or something based around the firepit. Or a picnic lunch to take on your trails.
And target practice to shoot the wild animals that try to get their picnic ;)

Our wine tours are the only package that gets mention.
We do a "Sweetheart Package" that gets purchased but they don't write it up. It is popular because it gets the husband off the hook for an anniversary/birthday gift without having to shop which most men hate to do.
There is a local artist whose jewelry is fantastic. She shops for vintage stuff and reworks it, designs are super and catchy.
I have the guest give me the two colors that their wife/girlfriend wears the most and switch out the jewelry colors. Have about 8 sets of necklace and earrings.
The lady gets to shop and pick the set she likes the best.
Add to that the room comes with a bottle of sparkling wine and the gent is a hero.
RIki

We do a "Sweetheart Package" that gets purchased but they don't write it up. It is popular because it gets the husband off the hook for an anniversary/birthday gift without having to shop which most men hate to do.
There is a local artist whose jewelry is fantastic. She shops for vintage stuff and reworks it, designs are super and catchy.
I have the guest give me the two colors that their wife/girlfriend wears the most and switch out the jewelry colors. Have about 8 sets of necklace and earrings.
Add to that the room comes with a bottle of sparkling wine and the gent is a hero.
RIki.
Rikki,
What a cool idea!
If that is on your website I am ashamed of myself that I didn't see that.

RIki.
Rikki,
What a cool idea!
Weaver said:
Rikki,
What a cool idea!
Well that is not a suprise since I do my own website until I can afford to have it done for me so it's not always easy to find everything. It's under "package" and it is called "the Sweetheart Celebration Package".
I was terrified and could not sleep the first package that we had. I like jewelry, but am not obsessed. I forgot that jewelry lovers will ALWAYS find something they like if you have their colors.
The main problem they have had is making a final decision.
RIki

PT - why not make your romance package an inclusive room, breakfast, champagne & flutes, etc for $xxx + tax instead of as an add-on. IF they see what you offer without the price broken out, they will be more willing to book it and pay. You have enough in there that they will not be able to break out what you are charging for what. Add $75 to your regular 2-night rate and post that as the fee for the package + tax or add the tax in and say taxes included. See if the bookings for it increase - if not you can go back to the way you are doing it now.

We sell a lot of romance packages/add-ons and they are mentioned frequently in reviews. PT, with your setup I think the smores idea is great. What about an old fashioned cast iron popcorn popper that can be used in the firepit or hotdog/sausage poker thingy?
Since you're not set up to have food in the cabins, how about a picnic basket? It can be very simple. Offer a blanket, some bug spray (I know you've got some big ones there in Texas) and let them have a picnic under the stars or take it out to the pond or creek for a romantic interlude.

If you want to expand the pkg or change the details of it, check around to see what other places offer. In your location, with the outdoor firepit, I might offer a s'mores add on (with the champagne!) or something based around the firepit. Or a picnic lunch to take on your trails..
Madeleine said:
In your location, with the outdoor firepit, I might offer a s'mores add on (with the champagne!) or something based around the firepit. Or a picnic lunch to take on your trails.
Penelope said:
Madeleine said:
Oh yes...giving loaded guns to guests is a GREAT idea.
poke.gif

We sell a lot of romance packages/add-ons and they are mentioned frequently in reviews. PT, with your setup I think the smores idea is great. What about an old fashioned cast iron popcorn popper that can be used in the firepit or hotdog/sausage poker thingy?
Since you're not set up to have food in the cabins, how about a picnic basket? It can be very simple. Offer a blanket, some bug spray (I know you've got some big ones there in Texas) and let them have a picnic under the stars or take it out to the pond or creek for a romantic interlude..
Breakfast Diva said:
Since you're not set up to have food in the cabins, how about a picnic basket? It can be very simple. Offer a blanket, some bug spray (I know you've got some big ones there in Texas) and let them have a picnic under the stars or take it out to the pond or creek for a romantic interlude.
Apart from our Romance Package, we already allow all guest to cook out and we provide all the cooking tools and eating utencils, tablecloth, lanterns etc. in a picnic basket. We provide the "hotdog/sausage poker thingy" on request.
If we know that they are not cooking out, we usually provide the makings for smores anyway. There is already a blanket in the room for all guests to use. Our place is pretty romantic and fun without the Romance Package. But, as mentioned earlier, it gets the husband/boyfriend brownie points with their significant other.
Believe it or not, we don't have mosquitoes. That comes from maintaining a healthy pond ecosystem.

Since you're not set up to have food in the cabins, how about a picnic basket? It can be very simple. Offer a blanket, some bug spray (I know you've got some big ones there in Texas) and let them have a picnic under the stars or take it out to the pond or creek for a romantic interlude..
Breakfast Diva said:
Apart from our Romance Package, we already allow all guest to cook out and we provide all the cooking tools and eating utencils, tablecloth, lanterns etc. in a picnic basket. We provide the "hotdog/sausage poker thingy" on request.
If we know that they are not cooking out, we usually provide the makings for smores anyway. There is already a blanket in the room for all guests to use. Our place is pretty romantic and fun without the Romance Package. But, as mentioned earlier, it gets the husband/boyfriend brownie points with their significant other.
Believe it or not, we don't have mosquitoes. That comes from maintaining a healthy pond ecosystem.
Hmmm....sounds to me like you need to stop giving away all that for free and start charging.
poke.gif

Back