Room cleanliness

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie Q

Reaction score
I was watching a recent Dr. Oz show. The topic was travel and how clean are your accommodations. They say the bedspreads rarely get cleaned. They also showed with an ultraviolet light: the stool, vanity and glasses. They said the maids clean the glasses with the same rag they clean the vanity with....? (They also mentioned another place that was cleaned by those rags, but it seemed too bizarre!) They checked $...$$$$ motels/hotels.
I called the local Holiday Inn and the receptionist thought the glasses were cleaned by dishwasher. When I was 19, I was a housekeeper at an independent motel. We received the glasses, complete with Saran Wrap that would blow off in the cold wind, on our trays, fresh from housekeeping.

Yes I mentioned that show yesterday and put links to the information. I think we have discussed this topic numerous times. I wouldn't trust what a receptionist tells me over the phone:-( I am sure there are places that are fine, but unless I have a securely wrapped plastic cup in a hotel room, I am not using it.

If there are no glasses on the housekeeping carts, they're not being cleaned in the dishwasher.

If there are no glasses on the housekeeping carts, they're not being cleaned in the dishwasher..
I don't use glassed in a hotel for that reason. I am not sure they ever go to the dishwasher. I wash mine in the dishwasher and put a plastic over the whole glass.
I might put a small sign next to them that says " Your glasses have been sanintized in our high temp dishwasher". I would feel better if I read that at a place I was staying. I am a bit of a germafob anyway. I hate to stay in any hotels.
I disinfect door knobs, remotes, toilet handles as well as everything else on the toilet, pens, If you disinfect anything eles please tell. I might be missing something.

And here I wash everything on the bed every 10-14 days (except the sheets, I always feel like I have to throw in here that they get washed after every guest!) Does anyone care? No. People want to pack the guests in and have kids sleep on the floor, what are they thinking??? My carpets are probably cleaner than what they have at home but still.
We do run the glasses thru the dishwasher but this show would explain why relatively few guests ever use them. I may put that on the sign in the bathroom...glasses are washed in the dishwasher!

And here I wash everything on the bed every 10-14 days (except the sheets, I always feel like I have to throw in here that they get washed after every guest!) Does anyone care? No. People want to pack the guests in and have kids sleep on the floor, what are they thinking??? My carpets are probably cleaner than what they have at home but still.
We do run the glasses thru the dishwasher but this show would explain why relatively few guests ever use them. I may put that on the sign in the bathroom...glasses are washed in the dishwasher!.
But they still may wonder if someone else has handled them. Maybe if you wrapped them in plastic wrap people might get the idea they were really clean. Or, switch to the plastic covered ones. I think there was a link the other day to them at American Hotel supply.

We do run the glasses thru the dishwasher but this show would explain why relatively few guests ever use them. I may put that on the sign in the bathroom...glasses are washed in the dishwasher!.
But they still may wonder if someone else has handled them. Maybe if you wrapped them in plastic wrap people might get the idea they were really clean. Or, switch to the plastic covered ones. I think there was a link the other day to them at American Hotel supply.
I'd hate to have to start putting plastic film over the glasses because that doesn't say anything about WHERE the glasses were washed!
Wrapped plastic glasses? Can't do it.
Funny how no one ever asks for plastic glasses or 'a clean' glass. But, maybe they just wouldn't ask.

I'd hate to have to start putting plastic film over the glasses because that doesn't say anything about WHERE the glasses were washed!
Funny how no one ever asks for plastic glasses or 'a clean' glass. But, maybe they just wouldn't ask.
We used to have plastic wrapped glass glasses, any idea how much more handling they got to put plastic over them? Plus plastic wrap has an odor I don't like. Plastic smell? ha ha
Plastic wrapped plastic cups now if someone wants to be green they should stay home and drink rain water from a maple leaf. Jus' sayin'...

We used to have plastic wrapped glass glasses, any idea how much more handling they got to put plastic over them? Plus plastic wrap has an odor I don't like. Plastic smell? ha ha
Plastic wrapped plastic cups now if someone wants to be green they should stay home and drink rain water from a maple leaf. Jus' sayin'...
Joey Bloggs said:
.... if someone wants to be green they should stay home and drink rain water from a maple leaf. Jus' sayin'...
Ha Ha!
tounge_smile.gif

In view of the latest news - GREEN is as big a hoax as Global Warming!! In My NOT Very Humble Opinion!!!
And since I went through the process (and loss of income) to get the label of GREEN and did NOT have more than 2 reservations BECAUSE of all the Geen Labels and places I was listed in ALL the years since (think 2003 folks) it is something that was talked about but the walk was not walked - unless they went to Fiji or Costa Rica.-, the IN places for Green!

Now I am going to sound a bit like a freak, but I always bring those disposable dishwashing rags with me - Dawn wash n toss knockoffs that you can get at the dollar store. I wash the glasses and the coffee pot with that and hot water.
As for the accomodations I offer to my guests I wash everything inbetween every guest. If the quilts are a bit faded, so be it. I would rather provide clean linens for each guest then worry about the quilt being faded. That is the way I would want it so that is the way I do it for my guests.

Now I am going to sound a bit like a freak, but I always bring those disposable dishwashing rags with me - Dawn wash n toss knockoffs that you can get at the dollar store. I wash the glasses and the coffee pot with that and hot water.
As for the accomodations I offer to my guests I wash everything inbetween every guest. If the quilts are a bit faded, so be it. I would rather provide clean linens for each guest then worry about the quilt being faded. That is the way I would want it so that is the way I do it for my guests..
You wash ALL the bedding? Wow, hat's off to you! I thought my chart in the laundry room was a bit much given what I've had other innkeepers tell me about how often they launder the quilts, etc.

As for the accomodations I offer to my guests I wash everything inbetween every guest. If the quilts are a bit faded, so be it. I would rather provide clean linens for each guest then worry about the quilt being faded. That is the way I would want it so that is the way I do it for my guests..
You wash ALL the bedding? Wow, hat's off to you! I thought my chart in the laundry room was a bit much given what I've had other innkeepers tell me about how often they launder the quilts, etc.
I don't think it is quite as labor intesive for me as it would be for other innkeepers because my guests usually stay for at least 5 nights.
I could not imagine doing it for 1 night stays, etc.

I don't think it is quite as labor intesive for me as it would be for other innkeepers because my guests usually stay for at least 5 nights.
You are correct on that, with single nighters the beds are still warm as I am remaking them for the next check ins.

Ah, well, when I have guests who stay for a week, I wash everything when they leave, too.

Ah, well, when I have guests who stay for a week, I wash everything when they leave, too.
I'm sure that you've had more than a few one night stays where you've washed everything in the room all the way down to the mattress, too! ;-)

I'm sure that you've had more than a few one night stays where you've washed everything in the room all the way down to the mattress, too! ;-)
Samster said:
Well, the one who sprayed grape soda all over the bed and drapes. And the ones who poured a bottle of red wine all over the bed. Yeah, I guess I have.

Back