Room Darkening Shades

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
I need to replace my existing roller shades and unfortunately can no longer find the ones I have now. They are a beautiful Battenburg lace so they let the light through. That means that the sun comes through early in the morning. I'm thinking I should probably go with room darkening shades but I'm not sure. Will that mean the guests will sleep longer as the natural light won't be waking them? Any recommendations, pro or con, and on what brand of shade to use if I do decide to try them? Thanks.

We had shades but guests were never able to figure out how to use them. And then they would pop out of the wall mount whenever I tried to roll them back up again. I went to blinds. Guests can't figure out how to use them, they are always locking them up tight trying to get the to close in the wrong direction. (The blinds are fitted so they close completely with no little light holes where the cords go thru, but guests can't figure it out and they're always telling me the blinds are broken.)
BTW, I set the blinds at almost closed when the rooms are cleaned so guests can see how they only need to twirl the wand a smidge and the blinds will be closed but they insist on cranking them full in the opposite direction and locking them in the open position.
So, no suggestions from me.

Blinds are essential this far north as from early May to late July it doesn't get completely dark here, it was light enough to see your way around outside at 11.30 last night and it was light at 3am this morning.
We have roller blinds and they do get used, although not by everyone/many, don't know if this is because the light doesn't bother most people or because they don't notice they are there. We do have curtains as well but they're not very good at stopping the light.
The blinds are dark blue so pretty good at blocking the light, but they're not proper black-out blinds.
They're a pretty simple mechanism, just a plastic chain at the side. Not had any problems with use.
No discernible difference in the time people come down to breakfast after installation.

Blinds are essential this far north as from early May to late July it doesn't get completely dark here, it was light enough to see your way around outside at 11.30 last night and it was light at 3am this morning.
We have roller blinds and they do get used, although not by everyone/many, don't know if this is because the light doesn't bother most people or because they don't notice they are there. We do have curtains as well but they're not very good at stopping the light.
The blinds are dark blue so pretty good at blocking the light, but they're not proper black-out blinds.
They're a pretty simple mechanism, just a plastic chain at the side. Not had any problems with use.
No discernible difference in the time people come down to breakfast after installation..
We arn't as far north as you so it gets light here about 4.30am and dark about 10.30 so guests would not be happy! also we are opposite the HIC events center which is under the impression that its Las Vegas and is lit up 24/7 so would disturb guests if light bothered them - solution
some rooms thick curtains and some have black out blinds as well - bought from IKEA cost about $8 each which is a bargain.

No discernible difference in the time people come down to breakfast after installation..
Amazing. It's already starting to get dark here earlier and the the sun's coming up later. We were at 16 hours of daylight just a few weeks ago.

Amazing. It's already starting to get dark here earlier and the the sun's coming up later. We were at 16 hours of daylight just a few weeks ago.
Maddy, where I live, we are parallel to Milan, Italy. Scotland is mostly parallel to Alaska, with some dipping as low as Prince Rupert, BC. It's warmer because of the gulf stream, but WAY up north of us.

We arn't as far north as you so it gets light here about 4.30am and dark about 10.30 so guests would not be happy! also we are opposite the HIC events center which is under the impression that its Las Vegas and is lit up 24/7 so would disturb guests if light bothered them - solution
some rooms thick curtains and some have black out blinds as well - bought from IKEA cost about $8 each which is a bargain.
That is a bargain. We bought ours from Hillary's and although they do measure you up and fit them, it was considerably more than £8 each.

That is a bargain. We bought ours from Hillary's and although they do measure you up and fit them, it was considerably more than £8 each.
Nope even cheaper its £4 each if you look its in dollars! you buy a bigger size than you need then cut them down which is a doddle! paid the handyman £10 to cut and fit them both took about 40 mins.

I guess I'm in the right track. I know a certain suggestions pertaining to your queries about window blinds. I can recommend you something about this matter. They offer services like installing and cleaning services on window blinds. Just let me know if you're interested with my offer. Just send me PM because I'm always at school mastering my quality assurance certification in Texas.

I'm parallel to your site, Italy. Scotland is chiefly parallel to Alaska, with some dipping as flat as Prince Rupert, BC. It is warmer on account of the bay stream.

You can replace it with darkening shade but like what you said, its better to have those roller shades. Try to search on different online stores if there are available stocks like the ones you have right now.

Back