Room Darkening Shades

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
I need to replace my shades in the bedrooms. Currently I use battenburg lace roller shades under battenburg lace valances. They are very pretty but they don't block the light and I can't find them anymore. Only one guest mentioned the light issue but now that I need to replace them I'm thinking I should get something that's room darkening. Any recommendations?

I had those in my house when I had a real house. They do just that...darken the room. I could sleep all day. I loved them - I called it "the cave effect." When I would walk into the room during the day with those shades down, I would have to turn on a light. They do a good job. I bet your guests will miss a lot of breakfasts with those! :)

We recently put Black-out blinds in all our guest bedrooms, as here it doesn't get completely dark at night through most of May/June/July and can be full day-light by 3am. They're blue to match the room, but they roll up almost completely out of view. They really do block the light too.

Make sure they are complete black out, not just room darkening - that was my mistake! I purchased room darkening L evolor 2" wood blinds, for all my rooms. They do not make a tight closure at the very top of the room, allowing sunlight to seep in. They are much better than the previous blinds, but they fall short of doing the job that I wanted them to do. Since they are cut to order, they are mine.
sad_smile.gif

Black-out shades are very important to most of our guests. Lots of windows, east and south facing bedrooms. They also help keep cool in summer and reduce fading.
We have the 3-way shades that are the house brand from BudgetBlinds. (I think it is called "Kathy Ireland"). They are an excellent product. The blinds have 3 positions (up and out of the way -- with a built-in header), down with the sheer privacy shade (very attractive), or complete blackout. Simple two-cord system. They're not a true butterfly shade as they have only one layer of fabric, so insects don't get trapped between the layers as they do in Silhouette blinds.
This blinds are excellent, affordable, and provide a true blackout for sleeping. Highly recommended.

The right placement of lights, shades, mirrors and lots of other stuffs makes the interior space beautiful what gives the dwellers extra charm, too. I like the thought of different kinds of shades. Thanks for a useful discussion of it. http://controlissblinds.co.uk/silhouette-blinds

Back