Room descriptions on website

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, the thread about electric blankets and then flannel sheets got me to thinking about a room description I read before I went to this B&B. They stated that the room I picked had a very specific sheet set for the bed (odd color, mis-matched pillowcases, etc). When we got there sure enough there was the very specific sheet set. And it was weird. All I could think was that they had ONE set of sheets and I really, really hoped they'd changed them!
How descriptive of the minutiae are you? Exact colors & patterns or something simple like '100% cotton sheets' or 'some brand name sheets' or '600 TC sheets'?
I think if the description had been for '100% cotton, sparkling white sheets' it wouldn't have struck me as forcefully as the actual sheets that had been described and shown in the pix online.

I do not think there is a need to be ultra descriptive of the fashion of the room, unless it is a theme room. ( Madras anyone?) Ours is simply King, Queen or Twin.
BBBBob

I do not think there is a need to be ultra descriptive of the fashion of the room, unless it is a theme room. ( Madras anyone?) Ours is simply King, Queen or Twin.
BBBBob.
I'll disagree. Unless the photos are large and many, most guests want a description of a B&B room. Hotel room no, but a B&B room yes, because it is the ambiance they are coming for.
Colors, amenities besides the size of the bed, any 'fun' decor. NOT specifics of particular pieces unless, like you said, it's really important.

I think it is very important to include "certain" details. For example, stating thread count may lure certain folks. Or, the desire for 100% cotton certainly. But, I am equally un-nerved Morticia by the idea of a description so precise that one recognizes the exact sheet set from the description.

Photos and info on the room, nothing about colors that is self explanatory. A photo is worth 1000 words. Get some good 'real' photos of your rooms on your website and that should work well.

I think it is very important to include "certain" details. For example, stating thread count may lure certain folks. Or, the desire for 100% cotton certainly. But, I am equally un-nerved Morticia by the idea of a description so precise that one recognizes the exact sheet set from the description..
A "thousand count" sheet description is not going to lure me into stay with someone..sorry :-(

We just mention high count linens. We use any shade of cream so they can mix. I could not keep up with a specific set to be expected in a specific room. I would wonder too why the big deal over the linens.
We put up great photos and describe the amenities more that come with the room so guests can see we offer more with the room than our competitors. And we mention room size since ours are large, and we mention king beds as most here offer queen.
Riki

I think it is very important to include "certain" details. For example, stating thread count may lure certain folks. Or, the desire for 100% cotton certainly. But, I am equally un-nerved Morticia by the idea of a description so precise that one recognizes the exact sheet set from the description..
A "thousand count" sheet description is not going to lure me into stay with someone..sorry :-(
Speaking for myself... I *have* made a decision between "Inn A" and "Inn B" that were similar in most every way-- except for the one that had impressive thread count sheets, designer brand products in the bath and more inviting descriptions like "super-plush-ultra-soft bathrobes". When people *fail* to list such things, it means to me that what they are offering is "nice, but average".

StonehengeBNB said:
I think it is very important to include "certain" details. For example, stating thread count may lure certain folks. Or, the desire for 100% cotton certainly. But, I am equally un-nerved Morticia by the idea of a description so precise that one recognizes the exact sheet set from the description.
Yup...that was it- unnerved!

To each his own. If the website is not up to par I could care less what thread count they boast. If the place itself does not look inviting, in all aspects, the room descriptions are the least of my worries.
I don't want guests looking for super plush here, they will need to pay an additional $75-150 a night for super plush. They are better to keep looking.

catlady said:
I agree. I think it's more widely known that thread count does not necessarily equate to softness. Many of us have to strike a balance with costs and thread count. We've been very happy with our 400 tc Egyptian Cotton as have our guests.
We don't get into specifics on our website or other advertising. We just mention that we have queen beds.

Some things are common sense and I think some things are worth mentioning ie ground floor rooms, disabled access/bathrooms, extra large beds (for the larger and taller than average) special facilities ie whirlpool bath, pool, spa services, sauna, outside tub etc but frankly in this day and age all sheets should be reasonable to good especially the kind of places we run. It is easier to know if your property is star rate in this country as to be 4 star and above you have to have 100% cotton sheets but more and more places are not rated but are excellent and I am sure have a keen eye to what the customer wants.

I agree that just having high thread count sheets won't make me book a stay...it's the entire amenity package for the price, along with the overall comfort and attractiveness of the B&B. I'm willing to spend more if the place looks like it has everything that I'm looking for. Value for your dollar counts these days though. :)

Speaking for myself... I *have* made a decision between "Inn A" and "Inn B" that were similar in most every way-- except for the one that had impressive thread count sheets, designer brand products in the bath and more inviting descriptions like "super-plush-ultra-soft bathrobes". When people *fail* to list such things, it means to me that what they are offering is "nice, but average".
StonehengeBNB said:
I think you've put your finger on it, I don't think people will choose a B&B because they have 600 TC sheets whereas another has 400 TC (well, not enough to make any difference to someone's business), I think it's important to include some details such as these on your web site becuase of the overall impression of quality and care it projects.

How much is too much???? - Information that is!!!
It is a big yoyo struggle! Providing enough information to attract the viewer into becoming a guest, yet not going so overboard that you loose the viewer in the process. As JB said, pictures say 1000 words so use the pictures to create the best sells package, and let the words fill in where the picture lets off! Nice descriptive words without giving the small detail tell the rest of the story - or you will loose them in the process.
For the ones that need these fine details, and we all know there are some that do, they will call or email and ask - they are usually not shy!

Sure sell what you have the best way you can, no doubt about it. Brands of linens and thread counts are not something I personally look for. If it is between two inns, there is usually much more to the equation than that. There really is never a close comparison between two inns that I have ever found.
In fact, I would LOVE IT if anyone has a spare moment to give us two comparables and let us see why we would choose one over the other. A mini research study, if you will. If anyone knows of two in similar markets, ie price points, size of the inn, location. That would be fun!

It is a big yoyo struggle! Providing enough information to attract the viewer into becoming a guest, yet not going so overboard that you loose the viewer in the process. As JB said, pictures say 1000 words so use the pictures to create the best sells package, and let the words fill in where the picture lets off! Nice descriptive words without giving the small detail tell the rest of the story - or you will loose them in the process.
For the ones that need these fine details, and we all know there are some that do, they will call or email and ask - they are usually not shy!.
copperhead said:
For the ones that need these fine details, and we all know there are some that do, they will call or email and ask - they are usually not shy!
That is absolutely true. The ones who HAVE to have those things always ask.

except for the one that had impressive thread count sheets, designer brand products in the bath and more inviting descriptions like "super-plush-ultra-soft bathrobes". When people *fail* to list such things, it means to me that what they are offering is "nice, but average".
I tend to disagree. Super-plush-ultra-soft are subjective descriptions and are seen as such by the innkeeper. I want to tell people how nice my rooms are, but I do not want to raise expectations beyond what I can possibly provide. I prefer to undersell a bit so they are impressed rather than disappointed. I have large photos - would possibly post more but I am unsure how to post them and prefer to stick with what I have than take a chance on messing up the web site.

It is going to be hard to explain what I mean but I would be more interested in the feel I got for the innkeeper from the description do you see what I mean? Ie was it written by the owner or by a flash PR company? do they seem to care about the little details? or do they just seem to do the basics?

For the ones that need these fine details, and we all know there are some that do, they will call or email and ask - they are usually not shy!.
I hazzard a guess that very few people are going to read blocks of text on a web site. So I think photos and a few points that give an indication of your quality and care, and also elevate you above the local competition.

Back