Room exchange for advertising

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agoodman

Reaction score
Yesterday I got a call from a company that prints menus for restaurants all over the country, these are menus that have that advertising all around them, maybe the history of the area or the location and people can take them home, they asked me for 4 nights in exchange for a double-business card size ad on the location's menu, menu stock lasts about 11 months. The restaurant is around 30 miles from me so a good market and since I don't have any cash $$ for advertising but I DID have a room, it works out well for me, even better they don't even want breakfast just grabbed some coffee on their way out, and are out all day
They do cover the entire country so if anyone would like to do same if they are ever in their areas, then shoot me an email and I will pass on your info.

Sounds like a nice exchange, glad it worked out for you. When I eat at restaurants that have those menus I love looking at the local advertising.

Has anyone offered a night/weekend to a reporter for the local newspaper? I know they are going the way of the dinosaur, but we actually read them here in podunk. (I say THEM.... it's one and 15 pages on a busy day.)
With the exception of wedding receptions, I don't expect a lot of local business, but you never know if they might recommend you to friends coming into town.

Has anyone offered a night/weekend to a reporter for the local newspaper? I know they are going the way of the dinosaur, but we actually read them here in podunk. (I say THEM.... it's one and 15 pages on a busy day.)
With the exception of wedding receptions, I don't expect a lot of local business, but you never know if they might recommend you to friends coming into town..
Good lord no! Why would I give them a free night when I can get an article printed any time I bother to submit one.
No brag, but I have to be careful to not be in the paper too often. With all the crap i am involved in..... I do not want over-exposure. I also give my local weekly the courtesy of printing any big article before I give it to either of the 2 "big city" dailies.

With the exception of wedding receptions, I don't expect a lot of local business, but you never know if they might recommend you to friends coming into town..
Gillum is right...the local paper of a small town/area is always looking for articles and will do an article for free if you find a " hook". You really won't get locals, but it's still worth getting your place in the paper. You can then use that article to help with other publicity. Also, if there is a link in the online version of the paper, it gives you good "google love".

Gingerbread Latte said:
With the exception of wedding receptions, I don't expect a lot of local business, but you never know if they might recommend you to friends coming into town.
FYI it is against "the rules" for you to exchange a free stay for an article. THis is the journalism rule and reg of many newspapers/magazines. You can invite them to cover an event locally.
Why would you want a local article anyway? Remember you are there, they SEE YOU. Don't waste your time or money advertising locally.

Gingerbread Latte said:
FYI it is against "the rules" for you to exchange a free stay for an article. THis is the journalism rule and reg of many newspapers/magazines. You can invite them to cover an event locally.
Why would you want a local article anyway? Remember you are there, they SEE YOU. Don't waste your time or money advertising locally.
Agree with JB. Local advertising is a waste of your money. We never had locals....maybe once or twice someone sent a family member to stay with us. You can join your local CHamber, Visitor Center etc...but that would be the extent of what I would do locally as far as advertising. I know others here give away stays to organizations etc...but for me...it was a waste of time and if someone did use a GC...they usually turned out to be a PITA!

Gingerbread Latte said:
It depends on your location. You said podunk so you might not see a lot of local biz. I know someone who owns a B&B in a city and she gets a lot of local traffic. But she markets heavily to locals and it's a city. Her place has been written up time and again in the newspapers, magazines (local), etc. She courts publicity. She hosts events. She has chosen her niche and all of her efforts are toward that market.

Actually Joey there is no "rule" - it depends on the publication, for example publications like Conde Nast will NEVER accept a free night or an exchange AND they insist on paying full or corp rate, but in smaller towns / communities that is the way that a lot of papers and magazines work because they cannot afford to pay for the services
The "payment" may not affect their judgement (of course it MIGHT) but it's not illegal or against rules unless laid down by that specific company
And in the case of my Inn and my finances, and in the case of many others in the same situation as me, "exchanges" are the way to go right now

It is an ethical rule. Sorry should have explained it for those who don't understand. Although I did put it in quotes and say it is a journalistic rule. For some it is a regulation, for others it is a rule they go by as journalists. Sure anyone can take a bribe, and many do.
it is against "the rules" for you to exchange a free stay for an article. THis is the journalism rule and reg of many newspapers/magazines.

Actually Joey there is no "rule" - it depends on the publication, for example publications like Conde Nast will NEVER accept a free night or an exchange AND they insist on paying full or corp rate, but in smaller towns / communities that is the way that a lot of papers and magazines work because they cannot afford to pay for the services
The "payment" may not affect their judgement (of course it MIGHT) but it's not illegal or against rules unless laid down by that specific company
And in the case of my Inn and my finances, and in the case of many others in the same situation as me, "exchanges" are the way to go right now.
Right now I am working on a committee to bring a large event to my town. We are at the stage where publicity is important. I called local news media to offer them free tickets to the event. To a writer they all informed me they cannot accept tickets to events they are expected to write about. They appreciate a press pass so they don't have to pay to take the photos and interview the entertainers, but they all said they would not 'sit down and eat the dinner' without paying for it.
I suppose I am not going to police them to make sure they are not grabbing a nosh or a drink but they know how small the area is and other media outlets will also be there, so they keep each other honest.

Nothing personal Joey but it's not a question of ethics in my case, it's a question of budget, I don't have the $$, they are in the area selling advertising and they need accom. Works for both of us.
Of course in the area of writing articles it may be different but the journalist needs to experience your B&B and remember MANY are freelance, they don't get paid until they sell the article and they can't sell it until they have written it and they can't write it until they have stayed (whew) so many cannot afford to lay out $$$ to stay and then not sell their article.. and even if the Innkeeper gives a comp (or not) it does NOT guarantee a good review ....

Gingerbread Latte said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Gingerbread Latte said:
again, sheesh do I need to bloody quote my quotes on other quotes... I was replying to the comment of offering a local reporter a night/weekend. Which I quoted in my reply. I WAS NOT REFERRING TO AGOODMANS MENU ADVERTISING SWAP.
angel_smile.gif
Clear now? Do I need to make it clearer?

Nothing personal Joey but it's not a question of ethics in my case, it's a question of budget, I don't have the $$, they are in the area selling advertising and they need accom. Works for both of us.
Of course in the area of writing articles it may be different but the journalist needs to experience your B&B and remember MANY are freelance, they don't get paid until they sell the article and they can't sell it until they have written it and they can't write it until they have stayed (whew) so many cannot afford to lay out $$$ to stay and then not sell their article.. and even if the Innkeeper gives a comp (or not) it does NOT guarantee a good review .....
agoodman said:
Of course in the area of writing articles it may be different but the journalist needs to experience your B&B and remember MANY are freelance, they don't get paid until they sell the article and they can't sell it until they have written it and they can't write it until they have stayed (whew) so many cannot afford to lay out $$$ to stay and then not sell their article.. and even if the Innkeeper gives a comp (or not) it does NOT guarantee a good review ....
This is true but at the same time I recommend you at least google the writer and vett them. We accepted giving a free tour to a "travel writer" when we were asked by our Convention and Visitor's Bureau. Went to pick them up and the wife didn't feel like going (okay, spent money on the cheese platter for her, thanks a lot) and he blithely informed us midway through the tour that he joins writing associations for the free and discounted travel. Nothing came of that freebie, I'm so surprised.
We were wondering when we picked him up since it was an associate of African American Travel Writers group and he was not African American.
So I learned to make sure the writer has at least been published in the last year! And not just his own personal unprofessional blog. Something creditable.
RIki

It is an ethical rule. Sorry should have explained it for those who don't understand. Although I did put it in quotes and say it is a journalistic rule. For some it is a regulation, for others it is a rule they go by as journalists. Sure anyone can take a bribe, and many do.
it is against "the rules" for you to exchange a free stay for an article. THis is the journalism rule and reg of many newspapers/magazines. .
it is against "the rules" for you to exchange a free stay for an article. THis is the journalism rule and reg of many newspapers/magazines.
As they said in STRIPES - that's a fact, Jack! I offered a freebie years ago to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette to write a travel article. It was a WONDERFUL article that more than doubled the revenue of both me AND the other inn involved in that package that year and gave residuals for a couple years after - BUT the writer told me it was against the rules for her to accept a freebie. She paid. Freelance is definitely different. I have given - to my regret - too many freelance freebies. Now I only give a freebie to writers (doing a book) that the Tourism sends to me. If Tourism wants it, I make sure they get it. They do a lot for me. And Tourism knows I will work with them.

Sounds like a good exchange to me, that is as long as you feel it would be good advertising. We paid for some advertising simular to what you are doing. I only received a couple of calls all while they were in the restaurant eating and they were only calling to find out where I was, I guess not believing we existed?
JB wrote:
I for one am not where they 'see me' and I do some local advertising to let locals know there is an alternative for their out of town guests. I like having local's friends and family come to stay. I also get plenty of business guests due to some of my local advertising. It is not my primary focus but for me it does work.

Sounds like a good exchange to me, that is as long as you feel it would be good advertising. We paid for some advertising simular to what you are doing. I only received a couple of calls all while they were in the restaurant eating and they were only calling to find out where I was, I guess not believing we existed?
JB wrote:
I for one am not where they 'see me' and I do some local advertising to let locals know there is an alternative for their out of town guests. I like having local's friends and family come to stay. I also get plenty of business guests due to some of my local advertising. It is not my primary focus but for me it does work..
copperhead said:
JB wrote:
I for one am not where they 'see me' and I do some local advertising to let locals know there is an alternative for their out of town guests. I like having local's friends and family come to stay. I also get plenty of business guests due to some of my local advertising. It is not my primary focus but for me it does work.
Get a magnetic sign for your car. Much better bang for your buck.

JB wrote:
I for one am not where they 'see me' and I do some local advertising to let locals know there is an alternative for their out of town guests. I like having local's friends and family come to stay. I also get plenty of business guests due to some of my local advertising. It is not my primary focus but for me it does work..
copperhead said:
JB wrote:
The signs have started many a conversation for me AND got my car fixed when a woman hit my car at the grocery. She came in and had the B & B owner paged so she could give me her info. Truth!

JB wrote:
copperhead said:
JB wrote:
Joey Bloggs said:
copperhead said:
JB wrote:
Have one - make that 2!!! The main local advertising we have done are refrigerator magnets which we mailed to upper income subdivisions. They worked like a charm and continue to bring me business even 8 years later.

Back