Room Flipping as an Olympic Event

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Tipsy Butler

Reaction score
OK - Here's Sarah's Slice of Silliness for the day.
Last week, I had to flip all the rooms in less time than I thought was humanly possible ..... so .... I turned it into a live-broadcast Olympic sport. Points scored in various categories - ie Speed, Accuracy and Creativity.
For example: We have a/c in all our rooms but if it's cool(ish) I'll open all available windows to get a good breeze through the room. Scenario: Room complete, vacuum backwards out of room leaving perfect swaths of vacuumed medium pile carpet with no footprints. Realize that you haven't opened the windows. Now it's time for a split second decision: Which will produce the highest score. Walking over to windows, opening them and leaving footprints in aforementioned medium pile carpet. Walking over to windows, opening them and revacuuming. Or leaving windows closed. OBVIOUSLY, scenario two is the most complete answer, but then you lose valuable time points. So part of your decision is based on whether you can make up that time on the remaining rooms. One strategy is to quickly check all the rooms before starting so you can size up the hurdles / bonuses that the Olympic committee has thrown into the mix .... which may or may not include: bathroom hair-shedders, toothpaste mirror sprayers or occasionally beds that have been remade to a standard that even you couldn't beat. Bearing in mind that any rooms left unfinished in the time allotted carry a HUGE penalty, if the hurdles ahead look daunting, you might want to move on as fast as you can and try to make-up enough time to open the windows AND revacuum
I know you all suspected I am totally nuts, so I'm not concerned at all about the fact that this has just confirmed it
embaressed_smile.gif

I have found a way around the re-vacuuming scenario...I take my shoes off. It is amazing how little an imprint you can leave without shoes!
I do give you a '10' for execution, BTW!
wink_smile.gif

That's too funny. You win the award for the day of getting the biggest laugh out of me. Thanks.
teeth_smile.gif

I am getting old, very old.
I have a suggestion to everyone on the forum - as I cannot read a giant paragraph - speaking of lethargy, it wears me out. I know the proper English would be to keep the subject together in the same paragraph, but in this media it is just overwhelming. I am even guilty of going beyond skimming and skipping entirely.
Can I request that everyone break up their posts a bit more for the elderly (ahem, me) and tired eyes (ahem, all innkeepers) so we can digest them better?
Thank you so much, I would really appreciate it!
thumbs_up.gif

I am getting old, very old.
I have a suggestion to everyone on the forum - as I cannot read a giant paragraph - speaking of lethargy, it wears me out. I know the proper English would be to keep the subject together in the same paragraph, but in this media it is just overwhelming. I am even guilty of going beyond skimming and skipping entirely.
Can I request that everyone break up their posts a bit more for the elderly (ahem, me) and tired eyes (ahem, all innkeepers) so we can digest them better?
Thank you so much, I would really appreciate it!
thumbs_up.gif
Somebody needs a screen reader for her Birthday
tounge_smile.gif

What is that? bifocals you stick on the monitor?.
LMAO no it is software that reads the words to you through your speakers.
swirt said:
LMAO no it is software that reads the words to you through your speakers.
Ruh Roh I have these speakers set up on the same set up as I play guest music...might not go over so well streaming into the dining room while breakfast is on.
cry_smile.gif

1... you actually have carpeting so plush you leave swirls when you vacuum???
2... if the room has been vacuumed here, it is done. no way am i vacuuming it a second time unless i've tracked in DIRT.
3... i think you need to relax just a little
wink_smile.gif

4... the gold medal goes to you!

2... if the room has been vacuumed here, it is done. no way am i vacuuming it a second time unless i've tracked in DIRT.
wink_smile.gif

4... the gold medal goes to you!.
seashanty said:
Have you heard the story of when we were looking to buy this place? The PO's, taking us and the broker on a tour of the property we were going to plunk down a hell of a lot of money for, actually said, 'Do you HAVE to go IN each room, can't you look from the doorway? We'll have to vacuum everything again before guests arrive.' (And they followed us around 'straightening' everything in the room that we might have touched.)
I'm with you, unless it is AWFUL, I don't re-vacuum. I have lookie lous all day. No way I am vacumming after each one of them.
BTW, Tipsy can't relax. She's got some genetic thing going on about relaxing...
teeth_smile.gif

Hey! Did you hear Life of Brian is an oratorio? AND, 'Always look on the bright side of life...' is one of the top 10 most requested funeral songs?
I put it on my list. Amazing Grace (both sung on and the bagpipes) and now, 'Always look...' (what's the real name of that song, BTW?) Hopefully, it will bring a bit of joy to my family to hear that at my funeral. A little toe-tapping ditty to hum in the funeral procession. Oh yeah, and that really neat 'dirge' they play in New Orleans. The one where it is all somber and then breaks out into a great dance tune.

wink_smile.gif

Nah - the carpet is just plush enough that it really shows when it's vacuumed. It only gets vacuumed before the new guests arrive. It takes two minutes and my theory is that if guests arrive and "see" clean, they're not going to start looking for problems.

Hey! Did you hear Life of Brian is an oratorio? AND, 'Always look on the bright side of life...' is one of the top 10 most requested funeral songs?
I put it on my list. Amazing Grace (both sung on and the bagpipes) and now, 'Always look...' (what's the real name of that song, BTW?) Hopefully, it will bring a bit of joy to my family to hear that at my funeral. A little toe-tapping ditty to hum in the funeral procession. Oh yeah, and that really neat 'dirge' they play in New Orleans. The one where it is all somber and then breaks out into a great dance tune..
...... and of course it's also one of TTB's Breakfast Room's most sung songs

I put it on my list. Amazing Grace (both sung on and the bagpipes) and now, 'Always look...' (what's the real name of that song, BTW?) Hopefully, it will bring a bit of joy to my family to hear that at my funeral. A little toe-tapping ditty to hum in the funeral procession. Oh yeah, and that really neat 'dirge' they play in New Orleans. The one where it is all somber and then breaks out into a great dance tune..
See I would be going for the closing chase song to Benny Hill (Yakety Sax).... I want the line of people at my funeral to all be chasing each other around in in row while the song plays.
tounge_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

Nah - the carpet is just plush enough that it really shows when it's vacuumed. It only gets vacuumed before the new guests arrive. It takes two minutes and my theory is that if guests arrive and "see" clean, they're not going to start looking for problems.
Ahhh..... the joys of hardwood floors and a dustbuster! You all are just too funny! Thank you I needed the laugh today.
AdaBWeeks

Vacuum? Do I have to vacuum? Where's dh? Floors are his job!
I think I'm becoming an experienced innkeeper since the arrival of a mother/daughter duo, both with long dark hair, leads to a sinking feeling in my stomach. How can hair be so insidious? How can there be so much left behind and they still have three times as much hair as I do?
I believe the dirge/party song is probably "Just a Closer Walk with Thee." "Yakety Sax" is pretty awesome (my mom loved that one.) Of course, I always confuse it with "Yakety Yak" by the Coasters (one of my dad's all time favorites).
=)
Kk.

Back