Room Layout

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
Here's a question. My smallest room has a queen bed, dresser, and an oak cabinet electric fireplace. They way I have it laid out right now, the head of the bed is partially in front of the window that has the a/c unit in it. This means that the door to the room comes into the more open part of the room, with the bed and nightstand to the left and the fireplace to the right. The dresser is in front of the five foot tall attic door, hiding it completely. It used to be set up the other way, with the door opening nearly into the side of the bed...while that setup has room for two nightstands and allows the a/c unit to not be at the head of the bed, it also lets the attic door show.
Which way would you set it up? More important to not have the a/c near your head, or more important to hide the attic door and not have the room door open into the side of the bed.....it's bugged me for quite a while now, although reviews are great and no one mentions anything, this may be a proof of absence type thing...
Here are photos of the way it is now.
Richardson%20Room.jpg

Richardson%20Room%202.jpg

My room doors open into the side of the bed. I hate that. Seriously wish the original owner would have reversed the doors before putting in the switches for the overhead lights. Now this is the only way the doors can open unless the light switches are moved.
That said, I also wouldn't like having the A/C blowing right on me all night. Noisy and cold. My A/C for my room is in the window next to the bed and I have to turn it off at night.
Blocking the attic door would be less of an issue for me as I also have an attic door that's right out in the open. It's locked and I tell guests what it is so they don't think it's a closet and try to get it open. If yours fits behind the dresser, you could also hang a long tapestry on that wall to hide it if you move the dresser. We have a little access door in one room and it's behind the nightstand.
I like that little fireplace! Does it put out heat or is it just for show?
So, if you moved the bed it would go where the fireplace is now? Where would the fireplace go? Where the bed is? Do you need the coatrack? If you don't, you could take it out for more 'visual' space.

My room doors open into the side of the bed. I hate that. Seriously wish the original owner would have reversed the doors before putting in the switches for the overhead lights. Now this is the only way the doors can open unless the light switches are moved.
That said, I also wouldn't like having the A/C blowing right on me all night. Noisy and cold. My A/C for my room is in the window next to the bed and I have to turn it off at night.
Blocking the attic door would be less of an issue for me as I also have an attic door that's right out in the open. It's locked and I tell guests what it is so they don't think it's a closet and try to get it open. If yours fits behind the dresser, you could also hang a long tapestry on that wall to hide it if you move the dresser. We have a little access door in one room and it's behind the nightstand.
So, if you moved the bed it would go where the fireplace is now? Where would the fireplace go? Where the bed is? Do you need the coatrack? If you don't, you could take it out for more 'visual' space..
The fireplace does have thermostatic heat control, and can operate with or without it. I have five of them throughout the guest and common rooms, people love them, and they sure do help out with the old propane bill in the winter! I highly recommend the Dimplex brand over any other....best, most attractive and quietest.
While the A/c units are brand new, small and quiet, they are of course...cold. If we move the bed, it would go in the middle of the wall where the fireplace is...with a nightstand and lamp on BOTH sides. The dresser would have it's back against the wall to the left of the current nightstand and the fireplace would go back-to the window wall, but to the right of the window. The chair is actually no longer in that room, the coatrack is in that corner. Although there is a row of wall hooks for hanging, there is no closet, so sometimes the coat rack gets used along with the wall hooks.
We bought this house from a local artist...she painted furniture and sold it out the house, so the roses painted in the room were done by her (along with a ton of furniture that we bought from her that's all over the house)...there are also roses painted in the hallway, and above the chandeliers in the dining rooms. I was thinking that if we moved things around, maybe I could hire her to paint a lattice and roses scene on the attic door, and just put an unobtrusive lock on it.
That would handle the attic door problem, but how many guests are going to be put off by the door opening into the side of the bed? Maybe walking in and seeing the fireplace first (the way the door opens) would make up for it??
RR%20curtains.JPG
roses%20002.jpg

Is there a way you can angle the bed in the corner and not block the window???

Biggest dilemma would be making the bed and guests getting in and out of the bed. So you need space either side. A/C near my head would not go over well. I would not sleep with it there.
Seeing an attic door doesn't worry me at all. Walking into the room to the bed is not preferred, but might be unavoidable to solve the other issues. Facing the window from the bed would be nice, imo. Hard to say without actually being in the room and walking it. This is when I say we need an inn-mate slumber party! Free Advice.
I know you have the bed and won't be changing it, but if you could do anything, I would make it a bed without a footboard, you give more room and sitting area as well.

So, if you moved the bed it would go where the fireplace is now? Where would the fireplace go? Where the bed is? Do you need the coatrack? If you don't, you could take it out for more 'visual' space..
The fireplace does have thermostatic heat control, and can operate with or without it. I have five of them throughout the guest and common rooms, people love them, and they sure do help out with the old propane bill in the winter! I highly recommend the Dimplex brand over any other....best, most attractive and quietest.
While the A/c units are brand new, small and quiet, they are of course...cold. If we move the bed, it would go in the middle of the wall where the fireplace is...with a nightstand and lamp on BOTH sides. The dresser would have it's back against the wall to the left of the current nightstand and the fireplace would go back-to the window wall, but to the right of the window. The chair is actually no longer in that room, the coatrack is in that corner. Although there is a row of wall hooks for hanging, there is no closet, so sometimes the coat rack gets used along with the wall hooks.
We bought this house from a local artist...she painted furniture and sold it out the house, so the roses painted in the room were done by her (along with a ton of furniture that we bought from her that's all over the house)...there are also roses painted in the hallway, and above the chandeliers in the dining rooms. I was thinking that if we moved things around, maybe I could hire her to paint a lattice and roses scene on the attic door, and just put an unobtrusive lock on it.
That would handle the attic door problem, but how many guests are going to be put off by the door opening into the side of the bed? Maybe walking in and seeing the fireplace first (the way the door opens) would make up for it??
RR%20curtains.JPG
roses%20002.jpg

Frankly? Most guests won't be in the bed when the door is opened so as long as you can get both nighstands in there and the guest doesn't walk into a wall when they come into the room, I think seeing the fireplace right off is a good idea. It draws you into the room much more than just the bed would. You expect the bed, the fireplace is a bonus.
I don't have closets in most of my rooms, so I understand the need for places to hang clothes.

Biggest dilemma would be making the bed and guests getting in and out of the bed. So you need space either side. A/C near my head would not go over well. I would not sleep with it there.
Seeing an attic door doesn't worry me at all. Walking into the room to the bed is not preferred, but might be unavoidable to solve the other issues. Facing the window from the bed would be nice, imo. Hard to say without actually being in the room and walking it. This is when I say we need an inn-mate slumber party! Free Advice.
I know you have the bed and won't be changing it, but if you could do anything, I would make it a bed without a footboard, you give more room and sitting area as well..
Biggest dilemma would be making the bed and guests getting in and out of the bed. So you need space either side.
All of my twin beds are in the corner. It's a bear to make the bed. I stopped making it on the wall side (nothing tucked in). Too much hassle pulling it out and shoving it back in (and there are 3 of them). We moved all of the other beds over about 9" from where they used to be. It puts all of the over the bed lights off center but at least the person on the 'inside' isn't banging into the wall and they can walk around the bed easily. We're slowly moving all of the lights over but not all of the rooms have the spare wallpaper.

I know you have the bed and won't be changing it, but if you could do anything, I would make it a bed without a footboard, you give more room and sitting area as well..
Biggest dilemma would be making the bed and guests getting in and out of the bed. So you need space either side.
All of my twin beds are in the corner. It's a bear to make the bed. I stopped making it on the wall side (nothing tucked in). Too much hassle pulling it out and shoving it back in (and there are 3 of them). We moved all of the other beds over about 9" from where they used to be. It puts all of the over the bed lights off center but at least the person on the 'inside' isn't banging into the wall and they can walk around the bed easily. We're slowly moving all of the lights over but not all of the rooms have the spare wallpaper.
Bree said:
No tucking! Brilliant idea.
So for this room pictured with the high footboard you couldn't get in and out against the wall if it were over there, with no footboard you could crawl across the end to get in and out.

RR%20curtains.JPG
roses%20002.jpg

Frankly? Most guests won't be in the bed when the door is opened so as long as you can get both nighstands in there and the guest doesn't walk into a wall when they come into the room, I think seeing the fireplace right off is a good idea. It draws you into the room much more than just the bed would. You expect the bed, the fireplace is a bonus.
I don't have closets in most of my rooms, so I understand the need for places to hang clothes.
Bree said:
Frankly? Most guests won't be in the bed when the door is opened so as long as you can get both nighstands in there and the guest doesn't walk into a wall when they come into the room,
Where is the bath? If it is shared or detached someone would be in bed when the door opens.

RR%20curtains.JPG
roses%20002.jpg

Bree said:
Frankly? Most guests won't be in the bed when the door is opened so as long as you can get both nighstands in there and the guest doesn't walk into a wall when they come into the room,
Where is the bath? If it is shared or detached someone would be in bed when the door opens.
This room shares a hallway bath. Right now, you can see the bed when the door opens...although I've never actually noticed it open or seen anyone in the bed...if I switch the room around, that would not happen,

My first impression is that's a lot of stuff in a small space & there is nothing to draw the eye up to enlarge the space. I think you need to move the bed to the other wall (with the fireplace) if that is your only "bed wall". Do you have an armoire that could replace both the dresser & the coat rack? That would free up some floor space. Also, large art work sometimes can make a small space look larger rather than several small pieces; same thing with a large rug. Or a grouping of mirrors on a wall can help to visually enlarge a room. Good luck with the challenge!

I took the footboard off the bed in the Harris Room recently. Don't know why I kept putting it back on after taking it off for tall men. It was reworked by DH long ago and was basically decoration. It does give a few more inches of space - enough to make the room feel larger and the bed more comfortable for tall men. Unfortunately he is not able to redo the bed in Rosi's Room - the frame hooks into the headboard and footboard.
My oldest son is coming in about a week and I have been comtemplating a re-arrange for Rosi's Room. He does not know it, but he is going to help me try it when he first gets here and then I will have a few days to see if I like it before he leaves (in case I want it put back).
I have never "tucked in" because DH spends the first 15 minutes untucking everything as tucked in sheets and blankets put pressure on his feet and cause a lot of pain.

I took the footboard off the bed in the Harris Room recently. Don't know why I kept putting it back on after taking it off for tall men. It was reworked by DH long ago and was basically decoration. It does give a few more inches of space - enough to make the room feel larger and the bed more comfortable for tall men. Unfortunately he is not able to redo the bed in Rosi's Room - the frame hooks into the headboard and footboard.
My oldest son is coming in about a week and I have been comtemplating a re-arrange for Rosi's Room. He does not know it, but he is going to help me try it when he first gets here and then I will have a few days to see if I like it before he leaves (in case I want it put back).
I have never "tucked in" because DH spends the first 15 minutes untucking everything as tucked in sheets and blankets put pressure on his feet and cause a lot of pain..
gillumhouse said:
I have never "tucked in" because DH spends the first 15 minutes untucking everything as tucked in sheets and blankets put pressure on his feet and cause a lot of pain.
Interest timing, just had a 6'5" man check in, the one bed with the high tight footboard. I offered another room with low footboard out a half a foot from the end of the bed, they wanted this room. I hope he is a side fetal-position sleeper.

Back