Room Occupancy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I have looked at approximately 4 BnB's on line to book for our family and so far it is tooth and nail to find room max occupancy, I am looking for a room for 4 or suite with two rooms for 4. I am looking at photos vs reading now as it is simply NOT THERE when I read the room blurb.
This is important info to have without having to open every single room photo/page. Just thought I would share my frustration as a BnB goer - well, trying to go.

We did the max occupancy on each room because we had the problem of guests 'assuming' they could cram in as many as they wanted.
I don't always show both beds in each photo but I did add a separate listing for the suite due to concerns raised here! This forum def keeps me on my toes.

I hear you!! The lack of info on a lot of sites was why we put the max occupancy for all our rooms on our web site. But I think that the majority of us here do that....
I still get people trying to talk me into 4 in our 2 Queen bed room which has a max of 3. Not happening....

i had a call from a lady today who is planning a family reunion for summer 2010. she was telling me there are going to be multiple families, they all are planning to stay at the same inn and that it will be no big deal that we have only 5 rooms because they plan on putting 8 or 9 people in each guestroom. Ummmm....I DON"T THINK SO! this week seems to be a lot of phone calls from people telling me what will happen at my inn not asking me if they may do such & such. Frankly, it's tickin' me off! The way I see it is, i pay the mortgage, so that means I get to be the boss!

Ooh good point, I don't know if I have that on mine - will have to check!
Riki

i had a call from a lady today who is planning a family reunion for summer 2010. she was telling me there are going to be multiple families, they all are planning to stay at the same inn and that it will be no big deal that we have only 5 rooms because they plan on putting 8 or 9 people in each guestroom. Ummmm....I DON"T THINK SO! this week seems to be a lot of phone calls from people telling me what will happen at my inn not asking me if they may do such & such. Frankly, it's tickin' me off! The way I see it is, i pay the mortgage, so that means I get to be the boss!.
Holy cow! That is unbelievable. Why would anyone even think that is appropriate?

i had a call from a lady today who is planning a family reunion for summer 2010. she was telling me there are going to be multiple families, they all are planning to stay at the same inn and that it will be no big deal that we have only 5 rooms because they plan on putting 8 or 9 people in each guestroom. Ummmm....I DON"T THINK SO! this week seems to be a lot of phone calls from people telling me what will happen at my inn not asking me if they may do such & such. Frankly, it's tickin' me off! The way I see it is, i pay the mortgage, so that means I get to be the boss!.
Holy cow! That is unbelievable. Why would anyone even think that is appropriate?
Motel people

There was a group of businessmen from China that were coming over for some aggie thing in New Mexico. Even though our site has occupancy listed, (max 6 in our suite), They wanted to cram like 12 people in there, Their American connection told me that their company/government would not pay for more "private" accommodations, and the guys were used to it! Needless to say, they didn't stay here.

There was a group of businessmen from China that were coming over for some aggie thing in New Mexico. Even though our site has occupancy listed, (max 6 in our suite), They wanted to cram like 12 people in there, Their American connection told me that their company/government would not pay for more "private" accommodations, and the guys were used to it! Needless to say, they didn't stay here..
aieechihuahua said:
There was a group of businessmen from China that were coming over for some aggie thing in New Mexico. Even though our site has occupancy listed, (max 6 in our suite), They wanted to cram like 12 people in there, Their American connection told me that their company/government would not pay for more "private" accommodations, and the guys were used to it! Needless to say, they didn't stay here.
Did anyone see the "Seinfield" episode where Kramer put up several Japanese business men in his chest of drawers? They're used to cramped.

I posted this on another thread but it fits here as well...Had a call the other day from a young lady that wanted to have a retreat here...but what she wanted was to place all 8 of her friends in ONE room (4max). She could not understand why I said NO. Where in the hell were these people when brains were being given out!!!! This type of thinking is happening more and more instead of less.

I posted this on another thread but it fits here as well...Had a call the other day from a young lady that wanted to have a retreat here...but what she wanted was to place all 8 of her friends in ONE room (4max). She could not understand why I said NO. Where in the hell were these people when brains were being given out!!!! This type of thinking is happening more and more instead of less..
They're lucky we cant reach through the phone and slap them upside the head!!!
And I did envision that Seinfeld episode when asked about all those people in one room. Did all I could do not to crack up!

I never used to get these kinds of calls because I have max occupancy on all our rooms on our website. Last night someone called and couldn't understand why 5 adults, a toddler, and a baby would not work in a suite that sleeps 4. "You mean the children count?" Dur...
Here's your sign.......

I never used to get these kinds of calls because I have max occupancy on all our rooms on our website. Last night someone called and couldn't understand why 5 adults, a toddler, and a baby would not work in a suite that sleeps 4. "You mean the children count?" Dur...
Here's your sign........
Even if the kids didn't count, the extra adult certainly would. This is just too much. Let me say it once and be done with it- if you cannot afford to go on vacation, stay home. If 5 adults cannot come up with enough money for 2 rooms at least, they need to do something else to amuse themselves. Camping would work. Renting a housekeeping cabin would work. My family certainly did not go on vacation more than once or twice before I was grown up and gone.

Here's your sign........
Even if the kids didn't count, the extra adult certainly would. This is just too much. Let me say it once and be done with it- if you cannot afford to go on vacation, stay home. If 5 adults cannot come up with enough money for 2 rooms at least, they need to do something else to amuse themselves. Camping would work. Renting a housekeeping cabin would work. My family certainly did not go on vacation more than once or twice before I was grown up and gone.
My family certainly did not go on vacation more than once or twice before I was grown up and gone
I am sorry to hear that. We went every year - piled into my aunt & uncle's 3-bedroom apt with them and their 6 kids with Mom, Daddy, and the 4 of us. Wall-to-wall bodies and they came to visit us in our 3-bedroom trailer in WV. While my kids were at home, we also went on vacation every year. Visited friends and family (freebie motel mutual mooch system), a few motels, but also a lot of camping when DH was in school and not working. DH said his family never ever went on vacation - Papa was "old world" and his land was it for him. My Mom always said that she & Daddy both had "sand in their shoes".... So we went, cutting corners every way possible with lunch & dinner from the ice chest....

Here's your sign........
This caller was nice enough when I said, "You're talking about putting 7 human beings in a B&B suite. Does that sound like it would work for you? You would need to get a second room with that many people." It was all about packing people into that room for that price and getting 5 complimentary breakfasts. Good grief! At that rate, I'm really losing money. Dude! Go to the cheaper hotel suites that will throw in a crib!
Like I said, here's your sign.....

Here's your sign........
My family certainly did not go on vacation more than once or twice before I was grown up and gone
I am sorry to hear that. We went every year - piled into my aunt & uncle's 3-bedroom apt with them and their 6 kids with Mom, Daddy, and the 4 of us. Wall-to-wall bodies and they came to visit us in our 3-bedroom trailer in WV. While my kids were at home, we also went on vacation every year. Visited friends and family (freebie motel mutual mooch system), a few motels, but also a lot of camping when DH was in school and not working. DH said his family never ever went on vacation - Papa was "old world" and his land was it for him. My Mom always said that she & Daddy both had "sand in their shoes".... So we went, cutting corners every way possible with lunch & dinner from the ice chest....
gillumhouse said:
I did get shipped off to various relatives but there were no family vacations to speak of. Perhaps shipping me off was my parents' way of getting a vacation. har, har

Back