Room Pricing on 3rd Party sites

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
Pricing differences on other sites became a side topic in this thread.

Yesterday I had a guy call who was in the middle of booking a room through my ResKey. He had stopped because he said 'well I am always looking to get the best price'. He had started on TA, then went to B&B dot com where he finally clicked on my site.

But my price was $10 higher than what was quoted on B&B dot com.

I assured him my price was the cheapest out there. I said 'B&B dot com has it listed as FROM $XXX. And that is the price for that room Sun-Thur, $10 more on F/S.'
Oh, I guess I overlooked that! YEP!

I just did a search and I find that Boo king dot com is now marking up my weekday rates to that of the weekend rate, then scratching through it as if THEY are marking them down.
angry_smile.gif

Weekend rates remain untouched.

I just did a search and I find that Boo king dot com is now marking up my weekday rates to that of the weekend rate, then scratching through it as if THEY are marking them down.
angry_smile.gif

Weekend rates remain untouched..
i guess i really dont understand why all of you even bother with these kinds of sites. i would not put up with the crap they pull on you and take a% of your sale. keep it for yourself:)

angry_smile.gif

Copperhead said:
angry_smile.gif

You can do this on RezKey yourself. Put your prices across the board at the higher rate then 'discount' during the week.

angry_smile.gif

i guess i really dont understand why all of you even bother with these kinds of sites. i would not put up with the crap they pull on you and take a% of your sale. keep it for yourself:)
For a number of reasons.
Some of the guests that I get...
Business people who's business is contractually obligated to book via one particular OTA. (The OTAs give them exclusive deals and rebate part of their side of the commission).
People who are afraid to book directly. They try us out via the OTA but then book direct.
A certain amount of people who find me on the OTA and my reviews there, but then book directly.

angry_smile.gif

Copperhead said:
angry_smile.gif

You can do this on RezKey yourself. Put your prices across the board at the higher rate then 'discount' during the week.
Madeleine said:
Copperhead said:
angry_smile.gif

I know. But I don't. And even if I did, that doesn't give them the right to mislead people.

angry_smile.gif

Copperhead said:
angry_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
Copperhead said:
angry_smile.gif

I know. But I don't. And even if I did, that doesn't give them the right to mislead people.
Boy that is ballzz of them. Thinking they can do what they want !
Wow how dare they. One brown mark .think they are digging their own grave? Things just may back fire. Wonder if they try this stuff out of Holland??

On this topic, has book ing dot com dropped their stipulation that you have to offer the lowest price on their site?

On this topic, has book ing dot com dropped their stipulation that you have to offer the lowest price on their site?.
Highlands John said:
On this topic, has book ing dot com dropped their stipulation that you have to offer the lowest price on their site?
HJ, I do not think so but on another forum group I read constantly that many European innkeepers price higher on them and are doing so without repercussions.
I think that they have just gotten so big with so many properties that they can't keep up with being the watch dog. It would be my guess that if a guest brought it to their attention about one property, that property would be scolded or removed for not adhering to the contract.

On this topic, has book ing dot com dropped their stipulation that you have to offer the lowest price on their site?.
Highlands John said:
HJ, I do not think so but on another forum group I read constantly that many European innkeepers price higher on them and are doing so without repercussions.
I think that they have just gotten so big with so many properties that they can't keep up with being the watch dog. It would be my guess that if a guest brought it to their attention about one property, that property would be scolded or removed for not adhering to the contract.
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:
Altho, why they would bother scolding I don't know. The guest rarely checks the price and booking makes a larger commission. To get the commission paid and make rack rate I'd have to list rooms for 20% more on booking than my own site.

angry_smile.gif

I do not use them because I am not fighting with 10 or more other B & Bs for business in my small area nor am I fighting with 1000 Air listings to suck business away.
BOTH the above are reasons many B & Bs have felt they had to go with the OTAs. I understand and wish it were not true for them, but it is what it is and they must do what is necessary to them to survive. I know it is getting harder to survive on what we have. I am not one who has a nice pension or bank account to fall back on so I really do understand. In a few more years when my loans are paid off, IF Himself is still alive, I will be "comfortable" again but both halves of the equation must be in place for that to happen.

Highlands John said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:
Altho, why they would bother scolding I don't know. The guest rarely checks the price and booking makes a larger commission. To get the commission paid and make rack rate I'd have to list rooms for 20% more on booking than my own site.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:
Oh OK so you haven't had a problem padding your rates?

My guests must be the rare ones. See my comment in the original post.

Highlands John said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:

Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:

Last year when I set rates, because they were hounding me, I picked a price that ended up being higher than I charge direct bookings. No one, guest or booking, has mentioned it.
As far as I can tell, the guest sees 'lowest price on internet!' and they believe it.

Highlands John said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:

Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:

Last year when I set rates, because they were hounding me, I picked a price that ended up being higher than I charge direct bookings. No one, guest or booking, has mentioned it.
As far as I can tell, the guest sees 'lowest price on internet!' and they believe it.
Morticia said:
But of course, Boo says so, so it must be true -- why bother looking anywhere else?
Foolish guests.....

Highlands John said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:

Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:

You do know that your daily rack rate must match, but if you offer other discounts, those don't? For example, if you give a code on your website for $10 off, that's fair game. Or if you have a lower weekly rate, that's fair game as well?

Highlands John said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:

Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:

You do know that your daily rack rate must match, but if you offer other discounts, those don't? For example, if you give a code on your website for $10 off, that's fair game. Or if you have a lower weekly rate, that's fair game as well?
Baby Puss said:
Yes, I do know. Just saying no one bothers to check for better pricing and why would booking not want the bigger commission?

Highlands John said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:

Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:

Baby Puss said:
Yes, I do know. Just saying no one bothers to check for better pricing and why would booking not want the bigger commission?
I do think that some do. Just not very many. We make it harder by specifically playing the game of we get to choose your room when you book through them, while you get to choose your room if you book directly.

Highlands John said:
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:
Friends of ours were exhausted, so they hiked their prices up for a couple of nights on boo . kom thinking it would stop bookings, they still got them.

Back