room questionares

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are kind of missing my point to a certain extent I don't give a fricking monkeys what they say on the questionare its the keeping them off the online review sites that appeals to me. I know full well people will say they had a lovely time and then slam you online 5 minutes lates but was wondering if they had a guest review form that might head some of them off before they get that far. Also John said he uses it as a filter to court online reviews ie form says we had an amazing time blah blah blah so you send them and email to say any chance of an online review? I am fully prepped for the bed was 3 inches to high brigade!

You guys are kind of missing my point to a certain extent I don't give a fricking monkeys what they say on the questionare its the keeping them off the online review sites that appeals to me. I know full well people will say they had a lovely time and then slam you online 5 minutes lates but was wondering if they had a guest review form that might head some of them off before they get that far. Also John said he uses it as a filter to court online reviews ie form says we had an amazing time blah blah blah so you send them and email to say any chance of an online review? I am fully prepped for the bed was 3 inches to high brigade!.
You guys are kind of missing my point to a certain extent I don't give a fricking monkeys what they say on the questionare its the keeping them off the online review sites that appeals to me. I know full well people will say they had a lovely time and then slam you online 5 minutes lates but was wondering if they had a guest review form that might head some of them off before they get that far. Also John said he uses it as a filter to court online reviews ie form says we had an amazing time blah blah blah so you send them and email to say any chance of an online review? I am fully prepped for the bed was 3 inches to high brigade!
I would rather face one online review than daily barrage of forms (how many rooms do you have, so daily x that) of nit picky comments that make you feel worthless and you place rotten and wonder why they even stayed there. I didn't miss the point at all.
regular_smile.gif

You guys are kind of missing my point to a certain extent I don't give a fricking monkeys what they say on the questionare its the keeping them off the online review sites that appeals to me. I know full well people will say they had a lovely time and then slam you online 5 minutes lates but was wondering if they had a guest review form that might head some of them off before they get that far. Also John said he uses it as a filter to court online reviews ie form says we had an amazing time blah blah blah so you send them and email to say any chance of an online review? I am fully prepped for the bed was 3 inches to high brigade!.
Personally, we ask the guests how we did and if there was anything they think we should change. Their body language is a pretty good guage. Only solicit reviews in email based on how you think they are. And forget the rest. The h8rs will h8 and find their way there. Personal appeals are the best and after they left, so they don't do it from your wifi.
I think the forms only clarify them on points to mention that they don't like. I'm not surprised that such a form has lowered his rating. People will remember the bad that way. It's too soon. You need them to start to reminisce a bit about their vacation.

So go ahead and put the questionnaires in the rooms. Just because your guests fill them out, does not mean you have to read them. Personally, I have never found reading the results of this type of questionnaire to be helpful. Like everyone else here, I have wanted to scream after reading all the picky ridiculous compaints...none of which I could really address, or perhaps more accurately, none that I would address. For example, we put a dish next to the teakettle on the tea cart for used bags and spoons. One guest did not like that...he suggested we put a trashcan out instead. I mean REALLY....how picky can you get.
So forget about reading the comments...scan the overall reviews if you want, pick out the best ones and make your on-line review request from those.

Think of all the stupid things people tell you over the years, then you provide them with a venue to jot down the lot, be prepared for lots of piddling crap (opps
embaressed_smile.gif
) to go along with a few good worthy comments.
Sorry, I am with JB - this last week of guests have put me through the ringer! Receiving a completed questionaire from this bunch of self absorbed people would have put me right over the edge!
Now in general it may not be a bad idea but I would not go overboard - give basic questions and "is there anything you would like to see added" but you may not want to read these until you need a real good laugh!.
I did an online survey once sent to former guests and I really needed a thick skin transplant to read them. Who knew the things that bothered people. Yikes.
Madeleine said:
I did an online survey once sent to former guests and I really needed a thick skin transplant to read them. Who knew the things that bothered people. Yikes.
Tomato tomato yeah both of those!
Things that bother a guest and the reason I won't do questionnaires no matter what and how much you pay me:
  1. having to get up to turn off a light
  2. having to turn on a light
  3. having to find the switch to turn on a light
  4. having to see a light under a door
  5. having to see a light outside the window
  6. having too little light
  7. having too much light
  8. having a night light
  9. not having a night light
  10. having an alarm clock light
  11. not having an alarn clock light
This is an old in house which I live. There are only 2 rooms with overhead lights- the dining room & the kitchen. The bathrooms all have a fan with a light but none of the guest rooms have ceiling lights. All of the light switches operate lamps.
If you turn off the lamp using the switch on the lamp, you can flick the wall switch as much as you like, nothing is going to happen.
We have CFL's in the light fixtures. You have to give them half a second to warm up. If you keep turning the switch on the sconces on and off and on and off and on and off, no, you'll never get to a point where the light comes on.
If you wake the innkeeper up to tell her the breaker must be tripped because the lights won't come on, be guaranteed she will come to your room in her fuzzy bathrobe and Mr Potato Head slippers to prove you wrong. And embarrass you in front of your girlfriend. And pretty much insure she'll never see you in her inn again. Sigh.
We affixed a strip of lath to the door frames so guests couldn't see the hall light while in their rooms. Keeps them now from turning the hall lights off. It really was a problem in some rooms given where the bed was in relation to the door. And the new carpet isn't squished flat so that helps, too.
Hate those blue alarm clock lights. Would not complain to an innkeeper but I will tuck the clock under the bed or drape a towel over it.
Yeah, I know you didn't need me to comment, but I can't help myself.
I have a complain. I'm allergic to CFL light bulbs and you used CFL light bulbs.
Table lamps aren't good enough for me to put on makeup.
CFL light bulbs have a grey shadow that makes me look older.
There were no condom mints on the side of the bed.
The alarm isn't bright enough.
The alarm is too bright.
Ms Innkeeper should have worn Mrs. Potato Head slippers.
It's endless!
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Ms Innkeeper should have worn Mrs. Potato Head slippers.
I figured someone would comment on that!
teeth_smile.gif

Not really missing the point. Totally get the point. Just saying before everyone does it, be prepared for some of the inanity.
I think it's an excellent way to let guests let off some steam offline. They may feel they have told you what's what and might not post online as well. However, some of the nice comments might go missing off the review sites as well because those folks will think they've said their nice things to the people it matters most- the innkeepers.
I've stopped asking for reviews. People who really like our place (they come back 2-3 times/year) are the people I want to write reviews. They don't. People who go a lot of places every year, I want them to write reviews because if they are review writers, their reviews have more weight. They don't write reviews either. We just do not inspire passionate review writing here.

Back