Room rate is $125 - no taxes...is this legal?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My posted rates have the tax included and I state that next to each rate you see on my website. This is because we have to pay only 1% state lodging tax. Our county does not have a transient tax (yet). When the guest gets their confirmation letter, the room price and tax are spelled out. I found that I can actually demand more $ for my rooms this way.
My room rate would be posted as $169 tax included so the room is actually $167.33.
Ok, maybe that is what she is doing! I guess I will find out when I get there. Thx!
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it....It isn't your problem, it is the innkeepers.
It isn't your problem, it is the innkeepers.
The tax is not BUT if it is an unlicensed inn, it is a problem for guests if something happens. The big problem for guests is they have no way of knowing in advance.
And, how would anyone know if a B & B is licensed or not??? THere maybe plenty of small B & B's where no license is required and there are plenty who run without them. So what if something did happen??? Having a license doesn't insure anything.
catlady said:
And, how would anyone know if a B & B is licensed or not??? THere maybe plenty of small B & B's where no license is required and there are plenty who run without them. So what if something did happen??? Having a license doesn't insure anything.
We have no license. One is not required. NO ONE has ever asked if we were licensed, insured, honest, human. All they want to know is "how much?"
We have no license. One is not required. NO ONE has ever asked if we were licensed, insured, honest, human. All they want to know is "how much?"
See that's exactly what I mean. Who cares? Who asks? Who knows? And, even if you do, what does that mean? Doesn't really protect you from anything other than the zoning dept, showing up at your door to make you pay for their license.
or closing the B&B down until it goes through proper zoning procedures. This could be problematic for guests. But as GH stated, guests are unaware of this in advance of any issues. I, myself, do watch for red flags that may indicate of a undercover business and will not book if I feel the least bit shaky with one.

Wish there was no tax here on 3 rooms or less
cry_smile.gif
.We pay 7% if its 1 room or more...Mary in Bridgewater, Va..
Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
Wish there was no tax here on 3 rooms or less
cry_smile.gif
.We pay 7% if its 1 room or more...Mary in Bridgewater, Va.
We have a flat 6% Hotel Occupancy Tax for the state. However, when the counties and cities weigh in, I've seen the tax at 13% or more in the larger cities.
We are almost 13%, at 6.875% to state sales tax, 5% lodge tax to the city, and 1% Hospitality tax to help refurb our convention center - a temporary 1% that has been in place for years, and won't go away. Other counties in our state are higher than us, and some are lower. Some State Representative tried to get another statewide 10% lodge tax on all of us, but all the lodging groups banded to gether and through a big fit, and it all went away. Whew!

Back