Router in poor health

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon Inn

Reaction score
Three days ago, connectivity became troublesome for wireless devices. I spent some quality time with our internet provider. Thanks to an over and above customer service phone rep, it was diagnosed as not their problem. The tech stayed with me on the phone and did remote diagnostics on the router. Although it works, sort of, two of the access points I had previously set up no longer had enough range to let our flat screens connect. I knew the connectivity was strained, but didn't know the TVs wouldn't work until after a family checked in to the vacation rental apartment. Arg. We tried to connect with the access point that came up in the menu, but no go.
I decided to either purchase a new router or extender the following day, which was today.
I decided on the google mesh system with two additional access points. Reviews said coverage was aces and set up a breeze. I made the purchase, returned home and quickly set it up. Easy peasy.
Then I tried to connect the smart TVs. Again the TVs recognized the new access point but would not connect. I reset the TVs back to factory settings and re-tried. Same result. After google searching I found Vizio's older security settings were not compatible with the google mesh system so my purchase was apparently fruitless.
I found an old router from the dinosaur days, hooked it up, only to find I could no longer access its settings and support had run out the previous January.
I was looking at another journey to the nearest city to exchange the router for one that would work with older Vizios.
Then I had an idea that if I used ethernet cable direct from the new external access points to the TVs, that might solve the problem.
It did.
I deserve my anchor drink.

We're so used to wi-fi, sometimes we forget how well direct wire works!

Brilliant! You are much smarter and more tech savvy than me..
LOL, probably not! But I do remember the most important lesson from tech school: "Does it have power"? "Is it turned on"? That solves a large percentage of problems. Re-booting is good too. Dr. Google when I need help!

LOL, probably not! But I do remember the most important lesson from tech school: "Does it have power"? "Is it turned on"? That solves a large percentage of problems. Re-booting is good too. Dr. Google when I need help!
My office is on wifi - the router is in my oldoffice with the land line. I have a UPS in there for the modem snd a UPS in here for the computer. If anything goes wrong - my computer guy can hear me calling his name where he lives (about 5 miles away).

My office is on wifi - the router is in my oldoffice with the land line. I have a UPS in there for the modem snd a UPS in here for the computer. If anything goes wrong - my computer guy can hear me calling his name where he lives (about 5 miles away).
thumbs_up.gif

We went with Netgear Orbi a while ago. Works great... but not cheap. They even have outdoor units now.

Back