Rude? Thoughtless? Or not about me?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the reason I make one breakfast for all guest, I choose and they get what I prepare.
I only have 8 rooms and I cook alone and take care of the dining room.
I always do American breakfasts (1 waffles, eggs & 2 slices bacon or a breakfast scramble with a muffin etc.).
One plate I make per guest. I do not like buffets since food costs can be a problem, not to mention its safer for the guest, specially since Covid.

I also don't do special requests in the morning since I'm not a short order cook.
I ask when they check in if they have any food issues (things they can't eat, don't like or allergic to).
I also made an after hours check-in questionnaire that says "place on front desk by 6am".
This makes the guests feel better about breakfast.

If a vegetarian no bacon, if gf, they get a GF waffle, No eggs then a waffle and bacon etc.
Makes my life easier and I choose a breakfast depending on food issues of guests.
With that said 90% of my guests have no issues. People just love having a homemade breakfast and those with food issues love that we ask when checking in and I can accommodate their food restrictions.
Doing this you never have a problem when you prepare special food because they're getting what they asked for!!!
I have never had a complaint about breakfast...well maybe that it was more than they usually eat :)

We try an interact during check as much as possible in to give them direction and history of the property - Dinner recommendations - best places to visit etc... then we a discuss breakfast - times - allergies etc.. Once they are warmed up and comfortable information flows easier and Guests open up about there morning plans. Smile - It's all good. We live in the best Country on earth. Grateful J IAM
We had talked. Lots. That wasn’t the issue.

This is the reason I make one breakfast for all guest, I choose and they get what I prepare.
I only have 8 rooms and I cook alone and take care of the dining room.
I always do American breakfasts (1 waffles, eggs & 2 slices bacon or a breakfast scramble with a muffin etc.).
One plate I make per guest. I do not like buffets since food costs can be a problem, not to mention its safer for the guest, specially since Covid.

I also don't do special requests in the morning since I'm not a short order cook.
I ask when they check in if they have any food issues (things they can't eat, don't like or allergic to).
I also made an after hours check-in questionnaire that says "place on front desk by 6am".
This makes the guests feel better about breakfast.

If a vegetarian no bacon, if gf, they get a GF waffle, No eggs then a waffle and bacon etc.
Makes my life easier and I choose a breakfast depending on food issues of guests.
With that said 90% of my guests have no issues. People just love having a homemade breakfast and those with food issues love that we ask when checking in and I can accommodate their food restrictions.
Doing this you never have a problem when you prepare special food because they're getting what they asked for!!!
I have never had a complaint about breakfast...well maybe that it was more than they usually eat :)
Thanks for the underline. Obviously, I asked and she answered. But she was (to put it nicely) exaggerating her issues since she ate off her alleged diet several times.

@theinnonthird Buffets are back here. The hotel next door is pushing it on their Facebook page. It’s quite the deal, tho. They have 100 rooms so trying grab and go was tough.

Even though our buffet is only the drinks part of breakfast, it was a relief to me to not have to run back and forth, inside tables and outside as well, with coffee, tea, water, juice. We also have hand sanitizer on the buffet. No one has used it.

I don’t believe people are using the sanitizer of the buffet here either. It’s for show at this point. 😂

I hope the "life coach" who stayed at The Beach House NEVER crosses my threshold. Thanks for sharing the experience and ongoing updates!! LOL!

I am feeling your pain, Beachie. So glad those days are behind us. Our new model, just the cottage as a weekly rental with continental breakfast items stocked in the cottage for self serve, has totally eliminated the angst of serving a full breakfast. In our 32nd year of B&B hosting we no longer get anxious about satisfying fussy guest’s dietary choices. No complaints so far!

Thanks for the underline. Obviously, I asked and she answered. But she was (to put it nicely) exaggerating her issues since she ate off her alleged diet several times.
Everyone is doing the best they can. Diets are difficult for many and our being supportive at our Inn is of utmost importance, very difficult to do sometimes. We try to get Dietary issues out of the way during reservations and check-ins. Another pain in the backside is when you prepare say 2 eggs over easy for a Gluten Free guest on French Toast day and another guest says "I'll have the same thing as her." Explaining the situation is a little uncomfortable but gets easier as time goes on. We simply explain that Dietary issues need proper prior planning and if you have a dietary issue we needed to discuss prior to breakfast time. If we must we handle it and give them what they need. It is very unusual because we are upfront and get it out of the way early.

Back