rules about child guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
i just KNOW some of you have great wording for this
i want to add to my policies that children (under age 'whatever') must stay in a room with an adult. i don't know if it's enforceable, but i worry about two small children being put to bed and then the parents go off down the hall and go to bed.
i don't have any adjoining rooms.

Hi Seashanty, I don't think you can put into words, EVERYTHING a child may do. To put it plainly, we're afraid to have children here. Falling down stairs, the complaints from other guests, putting their little fingers in candels, etc.
I would just write up a blanket waiver. Something like "we are NOT responsible for your childs' actions. Please keep your children with you at all times". Don't know how this would go over with the insurance company, though.
It's such a risk for us to have children.
A CHI I

Children must remain with parents at all times. I wouldn't go for 'supervision' as parents will circumvent that by saying they can 'hear' their kids in the middle of the night if there is a problem. And, no, you have no way of knowing if the parents stay in the rooms with the children. You CAN be sure to say it in front of the children. A LOT of children have a very well-developed sense of what's 'right' and will give their parents a hard time about 'breaking the rules'.
"There are no childcare facilities or baby gear such as cribs or high chairs on the premises. Children under the age of 16 must remain with you at all times."

Supervised sounsd tougher to me.
Or as they say in Brittain "Mind your children".
thank you for your suggestions.
i am almost afraid to put this into words, but what if someone got into the building in the night? or hopefully not but a guest? there, i said it. we have all heard of such happenings on the news. i would WANT to be with my children.

i am almost afraid to put this into words, but what if someone got into the building in the night? or hopefully not but a guest? there, i said it. we have all heard of such happenings on the news. i would WANT to be with my children.
You're right. You just never know. We have had parents want 2 rooms and we'll do 2 rooms apart (not the suite) as long as it's the same floor and RIGHT across the hall. But, I've had parents take our detached bath and put the kids in there! (Not in the bathroom.
wink_smile.gif
) So, the KIDS have to go out of the room to the bathroom. I worry about them going downstairs to watch TV or even falling down the stairs if they sleepwalk.
It's one of the nice things about a B&B...people feel safe. Too much so, perhaps, but there you are.

On a cruise ship there MUST be an adult in every cabin where there are kids. (Do guests obey this rule? No. But it is the rule)

You're right. You just never know. We have had parents want 2 rooms and we'll do 2 rooms apart (not the suite) as long as it's the same floor and RIGHT across the hall. But, I've had parents take our detached bath and put the kids in there! (Not in the bathroom.
wink_smile.gif
) So, the KIDS have to go out of the room to the bathroom. I worry about them going downstairs to watch TV or even falling down the stairs if they sleepwalk.
It's one of the nice things about a B&B...people feel safe. Too much so, perhaps, but there you are.
Bree said:
In large part for my sister's sake, we have keypad locks on ALL of our bedroom doors... and my boys can open their door with their very own code. I admit, the first time I locked their door and closed it, it felt good. Even with wonderful people in the house (which this group certainly is!), it still feels much more secure.
Their code only works on their door and ours... good thing, since one of them wanted to go potty at 5 a.m. and headed for a guest room instead of going downstairs. Emergency facilities have now been installed in their closet...
Soon my contractor will put a door in between our room and theirs, which will be even nicer.
=)
Kk.

[h4] [/h4]Although I have not experienced the problem with under age children in a seperate room, I have had a few (very few) let out to run around the yard unattended and attempted to also do so in our pool. This has had me out searching accommodation sites myself to get good wording.
A few I saw the simple phrase: Children must be accompanied by one adult, 21 years or older in each room. But this was for the most part the most used phrase regarding Children Policies: Guests under the age of XX must be supervised by a responsible adult at all times.
One hotel included this at the end of the statement " to ensure thath the children's behaviour is apporpriate for other guests within the hotel. I am sure that they must have had enough problems and just felt they needed to s-p-e-l-l it out to those that just don't get it.
Summer time and Christmas are when we experience the most family guests. I believe just having that simple phrase is enough for your website and brochure/rackcard. Then detail it out in the confirmation and sign in card. This is where they are signing, agreeing to your policies anyway and limits your liability should anything happen.

We have had young teen boys in a room with an adult (older brother) for all but the last night. Had no problems. I am thankful that some of you have the same worries and issues about younger kids. Ours is the pool issue. The 3 kids arriving are 3 and under. First young ones on the property.
We are going to ensure that our guests from the US who are lugging all their baby stuff with them sign the registration form stating that they are soley responsible for the children and that they understood before arrival that the pool on the property was not enclosed with a fence and gate. Thank you for that advice.
I believe we will use some of the wording that you are all working out under our policies as well. Although we don't have our policies written yet (still waiting for our friend to finish our website and fix the wording that is there even though it's temporary). At the end of their 2 night stay (c/o is Aug 17) we will decide if we will NOT allow kids on the property. Nope, not stressing out over these guests arriving.

Back