Running a B&B while working full time?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Catlady, that is how I read it myself. Glad s/he straightened it out for us. We must try to remember when we post that the words must express your entire thought or it is subjected to each of us putting their spin on it with replies. I know I am just as guility.........can't everyone read my mind? Heaven forbid!
embaressed_smile.gif

both working full time outside the b&b ... that is a lot to handle. i cannot imagine it. i only have lots of questions.
do you have help? are you working different shifts? how many rooms? what type of breakfast do you offer?
i know one couple ... they both work outside the b&b. breakfast is continental. there are just three guestrooms. but, still, they race around trying to get everything done. and sometimes they have to say 'no vacancy' because they need to get caught up with cleaning and laundry and LIVING. it's a nice place but very basic and low rates..
only 3 rooms - only open weekends right now - full breakfast. Tried weekdays with a continental breakfast & let them leave whenever they wanted. Hated asking guests to "put the OJ back in the fridge before you leave"!!
I hate to tell you but if you are depending on 3 rooms to support you full time with no one working..IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN..unless you have 100% Occupancy
cry_smile.gif

catlady said:
I hate to tell you but if you are depending on 3 rooms to support you full time with no one working..IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN..unless you have 100% Occupancy
cry_smile.gif
I thought she said the goal was for ONE of them to stay home full time, not both.
=)
Kk.
This is what I read in the original post...
"We are both trying to work full time until our new B&B gets up to full occupancy"
BUt I MISSED THE ONE SAYING "We are looking at one of us staying home full time soon, but not sure the economy is promising enough right now to give up a steady income!"
If the goal is for only one to stay home..then fine...but 3 rooms is still not going to earn them enough to live on unless they can get 100% occupancy..then they will "burn out" :-(

I got a good laugh the other day. There is an historic home for sale for nearly $2 mil in our town, historic meaning tons of history in the place and only two owners. Anyway - someone said to me how they considered "just buying it" and turning it into a B&B.
The repair alone on this place would be in the million range, over 10,000 sq ft home, and to turn it into a B&B - well we know those costs. Guess what, if I was filled up or had super high occup I would encourage it! Not that this person had 2 million dollars, he lives in an 900 sq foot house. But hey, we did it, so anyone can right?.
I don't know about an investment of that much, but I truly have been encouraging opening another B & B in my small City. Is my occupancy real high? NO. BUT one can see one B & B anywhere but it if there are two or more there must be something there. I do have the something there! Plus if they open while I am still around, they get the benefit of getting established before I croak or go la-la so the B & B business will continue (and they can pick up my regulars).

I got a good laugh the other day. There is an historic home for sale for nearly $2 mil in our town, historic meaning tons of history in the place and only two owners. Anyway - someone said to me how they considered "just buying it" and turning it into a B&B.
The repair alone on this place would be in the million range, over 10,000 sq ft home, and to turn it into a B&B - well we know those costs. Guess what, if I was filled up or had super high occup I would encourage it! Not that this person had 2 million dollars, he lives in an 900 sq foot house. But hey, we did it, so anyone can right?.
I don't know about an investment of that much, but I truly have been encouraging opening another B & B in my small City. Is my occupancy real high? NO. BUT one can see one B & B anywhere but it if there are two or more there must be something there. I do have the something there! Plus if they open while I am still around, they get the benefit of getting established before I croak or go la-la so the B & B business will continue (and they can pick up my regulars).
gillumhouse said:
I'm not really following your reasoning for encouraging another B&B. Personally, I wouldn't be discouraged to visit a town just because it's devoid of accommodations. If the draw of the area is there, and you have a vacancy, minor details like these aren't a factor. Unless your occupancy rate is through the roof, having another competing establishment will take away your business. From your occupancy level right now, can your business take a sizable hit and still be able to stay afloat?
If the reason for wanting another B&B is for the overall good of the town and its guests in case you close your doors, selling your inn turnkey will accomplish the same thing.

gillumhouse said:
I'm not really following your reasoning for encouraging another B&B. Personally, I wouldn't be discouraged to visit a town just because it's devoid of accommodations. If the draw of the area is there, and you have a vacancy, minor details like these aren't a factor. Unless your occupancy rate is through the roof, having another competing establishment will take away your business. From your occupancy level right now, can your business take a sizable hit and still be able to stay afloat?
If the reason for wanting another B&B is for the overall good of the town and its guests in case you close your doors, selling your inn turnkey will accomplish the same thing.
I do not see it as competition. I see it as a partner to share marketing expenses and helping each other. As for taking a hit on occupancy, maybe, but the other inn will not have me. I only have 3 room and I think the town and the area could easily support up to 10 rooms. I really do want another here. As for achieving my goal of keeping a B & B in town, yes that is my ultimate goal bit to sell as a turnkey would mean I would have to stop being an innkeeper and leave town and raost & toast is my current plan for that (or la-la land).

Totally o.t.
We drove past the giant site they have been clearing 4 miles from here straight down the highway that will be the biggest furniture store on the east coast. They are also putting in restaurants (yippee) and a new hotel.
I have no idea what the heck is going on. I have no idea why here. We do have a boom going on with our county and its largest lake in the state. But there are already furniture stores popping up over near the lake like crazy. It won't be complete for a couple years, and it is mind boggling why here? I will figure it out.
At the end of our street, coincidentally, the orig owners of THIS home had the largest dept store on the east coast (this was before dept stores actually were dept stores, so it was a big deal, big draw, across from that a large hotel). Those all burned to the ground a hundred plus years ago. We even had a race course right down our hill. In its' hey dey this little town was rockin'.
It is strange to think it will be again? Right now the biggest thing in town is the wal mart. LOL
Lastly some sense is being driven into the town council to possibly put a music venue across the street from us in a park that is rarely used (donated by the sister of the orig owners of this house). Our current venue is way way way too small and overcrowded. So like I say ...the next owners of this B&B can sit back and butter their bread and enjoy all these things.

gillumhouse said:
tle041 said:
gillumhouse said:
What will hurt a small B&B biz faster than another B&B is a 99 room hotel with pool. And a second 99 room hotel. Since we've been here, one new B&B has opened. As well as 2 hotels. Believe me, the hotels hurt way more than the B&B did. If those hotels hadn't opened, some of those cars in their parking lots would have been here and at my neighbor's and at the other 10 B&B's in town.
The hotels can keep in biz in the slow season by hosting conventions and parties in their conference rooms. We can't.

gillumhouse said:
tle041 said:
gillumhouse said:
What will hurt a small B&B biz faster than another B&B is a 99 room hotel with pool. And a second 99 room hotel. Since we've been here, one new B&B has opened. As well as 2 hotels. Believe me, the hotels hurt way more than the B&B did. If those hotels hadn't opened, some of those cars in their parking lots would have been here and at my neighbor's and at the other 10 B&B's in town.
The hotels can keep in biz in the slow season by hosting conventions and parties in their conference rooms. We can't.
Bree said:
tle041 said:
gillumhouse said:
Yes all the hotels were filled with cars last night as we drove back to town. But I don't necessarily want highway traffic as guests. So I have to remind myself of that. Nor do I want teams of cheerleaders and chaparones here either.

gillumhouse said:
Bree wrote: What will hurt a small B&B biz faster than another B&B is a 99 room hotel with pool. And a second 99 room hotel.
I already took those hits. Since I opened, WVU became national contenders and at least 10 hotels and motels have opened. 2 years ago a Wyndham with Conference Center and a Microtel both opened at the exit I bring my guests in from. Morgantown opened a Raddison with Conference Center and a couple motels, Harimont opened a Fairfield and a Holiday Inn Express plus a couple more motels..... I actually had more WVU guests this year than I have had in years and I think it was 6 room nights. I will take them, especially since one was a this year repeat (drop off and Parent's Weekend).

Bree: "What will hurt a small B&B biz faster than another B&B is a 99 room hotel with pool. And a second 99 room hotel. Since we've been here, one new B&B has opened. As well as 2 hotels. Believe me, the hotels hurt way more than the B&B did. If those hotels hadn't opened, some of those cars in their parking lots would have been here and at my neighbor's and at the other 10 B&B's in town.
The hotels can keep in biz in the slow season by hosting conventions and parties in their conference rooms. We can't."
You are soooo right! I also agree with Junie too - I need to keep reminding myself that I am glad NOT to have all those little league teammates running around here in off season (summer is ours)....and be thankful for their grandparents who prefer the quietness of the B&B!

gillumhouse said:
tle041 said:
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
tle041 said:
gillumhouse said:
Yes all the hotels were filled with cars last night as we drove back to town. But I don't necessarily want highway traffic as guests. So I have to remind myself of that. Nor do I want teams of cheerleaders and chaparones here either.
Altho I, too, do not want that traffic here (especially teams for playoffs-they leave when their team loses and to heck with your cancel policies!) I WOULD like the overflow of guests who are not here for that event! But the hotels all stick together. If there is one room open at a hotel, you can bet not a single guest will be referred to a B&B. One hotel in town goes so far as to send guests to another town rather than to a B&B.

I, too, keep reminding myself that this is slow season.... I'm supposed to be slow. And I don't want the hotel crowd. And my pricing is good. It's just slow. So, I tell myself to get to work already on the website and the decrapification and the 80 item to do list and enjoy the break.
In January my seminary has a week long conference. Because of that I already have a better occupancy rate for January than I do for November and December combined.
Realistically, though, I'm ready for the break, and with the holidays coming there's plenty to keep me busy. In a few years I may not be so blasé about it, but for now it's fine.
=)
Kk.

I, too, keep reminding myself that this is slow season.... I'm supposed to be slow. And I don't want the hotel crowd. And my pricing is good. It's just slow. So, I tell myself to get to work already on the website and the decrapification and the 80 item to do list and enjoy the break.
In January my seminary has a week long conference. Because of that I already have a better occupancy rate for January than I do for November and December combined.
Realistically, though, I'm ready for the break, and with the holidays coming there's plenty to keep me busy. In a few years I may not be so blasé about it, but for now it's fine.
=)
Kk..
Exactly. Take a break. At least from the meet and greet side anyway!

both working full time outside the b&b ... that is a lot to handle. i cannot imagine it. i only have lots of questions.
do you have help? are you working different shifts? how many rooms? what type of breakfast do you offer?
i know one couple ... they both work outside the b&b. breakfast is continental. there are just three guestrooms. but, still, they race around trying to get everything done. and sometimes they have to say 'no vacancy' because they need to get caught up with cleaning and laundry and LIVING. it's a nice place but very basic and low rates..
only 3 rooms - only open weekends right now - full breakfast. Tried weekdays with a continental breakfast & let them leave whenever they wanted. Hated asking guests to "put the OJ back in the fridge before you leave"!!
cry_smile.gif

I supported myself on the income running 3 rooms full for 5 - 6 months of the year only. I would say it all depends on your mortgage and other expenses.

Back