Salary Range Thoughts?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
A couple I know are among some being interviewed to run a start-up 5 room newly renovated historic house with very nice innkeeper quarters. They have had a 5 room inn for a couple years in an out-of-the way area and need to work for someone, at least for a while. They have had a first interview but have no clue what to ask regarding salary.
It sits on 500 acres and I have asked about duties. Here is the reply:
We will be responsible for the Inn and the property around it...don't really know how much, but not the ranch, that is taken care of. We will not be responsible for weddings although will work with the coordinator that they have but will be responsible for everything else, from lawn care to cleaning to everything else. Not pet friendly although they said we can bring ours. Big nice Innkeeper's quarters. Of course a full breakfast each morning, no children under 12 either. They do want to do some events as in Wine tastings, Mystery weekends and things like that. They also want to have the Inn available for the wedding party--which brings in totally different problems. Plus marketing the Inn and searching for potential guests, meaning extensive marketing and meeting tourism people...
Thoughts?

Wouldn't it have to do with occupancy? I mean running a super busy inn versus a low occup inn makes all the difference in the world work-load wise.
+ Working weddings and events.

Are these the same people who are talking about this same thing on About? Moving from WV to MT?
They do have to factor in the living space no matter what. But it's always a tough one trying to decide what your time is worth 24x7. They should research what hotel managers in the area get paid. Are they both getting paid separately? They should. Otherwise one is earning 'credit' for working and the other isn't. And when they move on they need to show they were both employed and not one just 'sitting around' while the other worked and got paid.

Are these the same people who are talking about this same thing on About? Moving from WV to MT?
They do have to factor in the living space no matter what. But it's always a tough one trying to decide what your time is worth 24x7. They should research what hotel managers in the area get paid. Are they both getting paid separately? They should. Otherwise one is earning 'credit' for working and the other isn't. And when they move on they need to show they were both employed and not one just 'sitting around' while the other worked and got paid..
Not that I know of.

I've looked into having someone run my place, and it seems about 35k is average for a couple 24/7.

I agree with JBJ. Occupancy & seasonality is key here for salary. I think that they should look at some of PAII's resources. Seems like there was an association for inn managers or innkeepers (as opposed to owners) that might have the info that they're looking for.

I've looked into having someone run my place, and it seems about 35k is average for a couple 24/7..
I have had several owners tell me they would pay $50K a year to a couple for being their innkeeper and a profit sharing plan of some sort as an extra incentive.

Back