Same person, two bookings, one week apart - WWYD?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muirford

Reaction score
I had a strange booking come in on Webervations last night. Same person booked the same room for two nights exactly one week apart. Reason for travel is biking/hiking. I have sent an email asking for clarification - they are on mountain time. Two possibilities:
1) they are making a round trip biking the C&O and staying here both coming and going.
2) they are holding both reservations until they make up their mind which week they are coming.
Does anyone have any policiies in place on double bookings like this? We have a 7-day cancellation and do not charge an administrative fee for cancellations.

I had a couple from Staten Island who had the first question can I book one night and then come back a week later for one night? They stayed here going to and returning from.
That may be what you have. Arriving with the first night so they can bike your area and then bike the Canal & site-see for a week, then back to you for a repeat of sleep the first night and explore for a day to depart fresh next morning. Travel the relaxed way.

What do you mean policies? Same apply to each night stay. I had that 2 weeks ago father tim the anglican priest who stayed with us enroute to SC and back home to Philly. I have had guests from england do the same, way over and way back. It is purposeful, I bet. I would email and ask to clarify in case "they pushed the button twice" or some silly comment.

We have a 14 day cancellation policy for all bookings, and a $25 processing fee even if you cancel outside that time frame...it covers the credit card fees plus your time. Did they do two separate reservations? I'll bet they are doing coming and going, but it's always good to clarify.

What do you mean policies? Same apply to each night stay. I had that 2 weeks ago father tim the anglican priest who stayed with us enroute to SC and back home to Philly. I have had guests from england do the same, way over and way back. It is purposeful, I bet. I would email and ask to clarify in case "they pushed the button twice" or some silly comment..
I have emailed them for clarification.
I mean policies like an airline has. It used to be way cheaper to buy two-round trip tix with a Sat. night stay in each than to buy a single round-trip without a Sat. night stay (in these days of fare wars, all bets are off). But, if the airline found both those bookings after you used the first leg, they would cancel the tickets.
My point is - if it's not meant to be a double booking, but is only a placeholder - they could wait until the week before to cancel one of the stays. That kindof sucks to do deliberately. Like making holiday reservations at three B&Bs and then cancelling two right before the cancellation period takes effect. The difference is, I know about both bookings right now.
In seven years I've not had this situation come up, so I'm just curious if anyone else has and how they've dealt with it.

What do you mean policies? Same apply to each night stay. I had that 2 weeks ago father tim the anglican priest who stayed with us enroute to SC and back home to Philly. I have had guests from england do the same, way over and way back. It is purposeful, I bet. I would email and ask to clarify in case "they pushed the button twice" or some silly comment..
I mean policies like an airline has. It used to be way cheaper to buy two-round trip tix with a Sat. night stay in each than to buy a single round-trip without a Sat. night stay (in these days of fare wars, all bets are off). But, if the airline found both those bookings after you used the first leg, they would cancel the tickets.
My point is - if it's not meant to be a double booking, but is only a placeholder - they could wait until the week before to cancel one of the stays. That kindof sucks to do deliberately. Like making holiday reservations at three B&Bs and then cancelling two right before the cancellation period takes effect. The difference is, I know about both bookings right now.
In seven years I've not had this situation come up, so I'm just curious if anyone else has and how they've dealt with it.
muirford said:
They have attempted to but called to make double sure they could cancel one and I mentioned if they forget to cancel they will be charged for it, so they backed out of it. I hear what you are saying now.

I get this all the time. The person is generally stopping here coming and going to their week-long stay somewhere else.

Just got my clarification; the first booking was in error. Now, this guest received two email confirmations as they were two separate bookings. Why wouldn't you respond to the incorrect one that it was in error?

Just got my clarification; the first booking was in error. Now, this guest received two email confirmations as they were two separate bookings. Why wouldn't you respond to the incorrect one that it was in error?.
muirford said:
Just got my clarification; the first booking was in error. Now, this guest received two email confirmations as they were two separate bookings. Why wouldn't you respond to the incorrect one that it was in error?
Because THEY know they made a mistake, doesn't everyone? On their end...'Why would she think we wanted the same room 2 weeks in a row? Couldn't she tell we didn't want THIS one? Yeesh!'

Just got my clarification; the first booking was in error. Now, this guest received two email confirmations as they were two separate bookings. Why wouldn't you respond to the incorrect one that it was in error?.
Nah! That would be the RIGHT thing to do!

word to the wise ...
CALL this person and review the correct reservation dates just in case ... nice as pie .... saying YOU just want to be certain that YOU got it right.

word to the wise ...
CALL this person and review the correct reservation dates just in case ... nice as pie .... saying YOU just want to be certain that YOU got it right..
Don't need to; he sent an email with the correct dates, not just that one of the bookings was incorrect. I have sent a real confirmation which he will need to respond to with the correct dates.

Back