Same threads again and again?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
By any chance is someone editing their comments on the threads about inn finacing, etc? There are 3 threads that keep popping to the top even tho no new comments have been added. Or, is it me?

i have noticed this also. no 'bump' post so maybe it is a glitch ... or gremlin
devil_smile.gif

No, that was from me flagging three spam posts from some guy with one of those paycheck-cashing businesses. They come up to the top from the post, then again when I flag the post, and maybe one more time when the post is actually deleted by swirt.
This is what I was telling swirt about. The spammers pick a topic, write a sentence or two that makes it seem like it's on topic - like 'oh yeah, I've been looking for inn financing, it's hard to find.' then a link to some stupid website for paying an arm and a leg to cash your paycheck because you need quick money I think some spammers actually pay people to do this instead of the bot spam links that get flagged right away.
I guess I'm the gremlin
devil_smile.gif

No, that was from me flagging three spam posts from some guy with one of those paycheck-cashing businesses. They come up to the top from the post, then again when I flag the post, and maybe one more time when the post is actually deleted by swirt.
This is what I was telling swirt about. The spammers pick a topic, write a sentence or two that makes it seem like it's on topic - like 'oh yeah, I've been looking for inn financing, it's hard to find.' then a link to some stupid website for paying an arm and a leg to cash your paycheck because you need quick money I think some spammers actually pay people to do this instead of the bot spam links that get flagged right away.
I guess I'm the gremlin
devil_smile.gif
Thanks for explaining. The new links disappeared really fast, I never saw them!

a bunch of threads have come back from the dead wtih no new posts. I thought perhaps they had been flagged and allowed back in, or an edit occured to remove info from a thread (which is likely)

I guess I'm the gremlin
devil_smile.gif
Thanks for explaining. The new links disappeared really fast, I never saw them!
I seemed to get on the forum right after s/he posted the first one, then they popped up in succession while I was flagging them. I was hoping s/he'd either get the message or swirt would notice to block the user id before s/he went onto every flippin' post that was out there.

Thanks for posting this and the explaination. Now I know that it is not my PC...

Yeah, thanks! I was wondering what the heck was going on

Yah Muirford is right with the explanation. They show up as new when they are flagged as spam...then they pop up again when I fully remove the post. Thanks to Muirford's quick work I was able to ban the spammer before he/she/it spammed more threads. I suspect that it was actually a bot, because it created an account without ever hitting the "create new account" steps and then spammed three threads without ever browsing for threads.

Yah Muirford is right with the explanation. They show up as new when they are flagged as spam...then they pop up again when I fully remove the post. Thanks to Muirford's quick work I was able to ban the spammer before he/she/it spammed more threads. I suspect that it was actually a bot, because it created an account without ever hitting the "create new account" steps and then spammed three threads without ever browsing for threads..
so the bots are sophisticated enough to generate a coherent sentence based on the info in the thread? Wow
wow.gif
. That's why I thought there had to be human intervention. Although the last post was a little garbled, the first two seemed pretty well put together.
As always, if they would only use their powers for good...

Yah Muirford is right with the explanation. They show up as new when they are flagged as spam...then they pop up again when I fully remove the post. Thanks to Muirford's quick work I was able to ban the spammer before he/she/it spammed more threads. I suspect that it was actually a bot, because it created an account without ever hitting the "create new account" steps and then spammed three threads without ever browsing for threads..
so the bots are sophisticated enough to generate a coherent sentence based on the info in the thread? Wow
wow.gif
. That's why I thought there had to be human intervention. Although the last post was a little garbled, the first two seemed pretty well put together.
As always, if they would only use their powers for good...
Some bots are pretty sophisticated. Some of them just harvest snippets of other text from around the web...they pretty much speak jibberish. Others start with a human spending a lot of time writing clever sentences that can fit in as long as the topic is similar, then the bot goes out and injects the sentence into a few hundred or thousand forums.

Back