Sandy is coming

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
And so, with the hype like we have had in the past and people freaked out and canceled and we were supposed to eat it, what do we do this time? We are not near the coast, but the map shows us as being in a target. http://www.weather.com/
"Though we feel that it's likely Sandy will hit some portion of the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic coast, there remains uncertainty with the exact timing, location and magnitude of the worst impacts. The forecast involves a rare, complex atmospheric setup that will allow the system to pivot back to the northwest into the region rather than simply moving out to sea."

This one got me too. I had 2 ladies here who left 1 day early because of the impending storm. They are afraid of going over the mountain at Sidling Hill on Rte 68. At least it was only 1 night,

We don't usually refund for weather but since we do not want the worry of having guests if there is a hurricane in the area, we make exceptions for large dangerous storms. You could just offer a certificate for a stay at another time if they cancel at the last minute. That way you won't have to deal with a refund of the deposit.

I really hope that this does not come your way! You have had more than your share of wind damage recently!!!

Well I guess this settles it, the busiest weekend of the entire year here, I hope it holds off until Monday...
Governor of Virginia
We are issuing this state of emergency today as a precautionary measure in order to ensure that we are ready for any potential effects of Hurricane Sandy in the Commonwealth. Weather forecasters are predicting significant weather impacts across much of Virginia, and a long duration event. Due to the track of this storm, and the fact that it will be a hurricane transitioning into a more nor'easter like system, we could see severe weather lasting for 48 hours or more in the state. In that scenario, saturated soil coupled with high winds could lead to major tree damage and extensive power outages. Now is the time for all Virginians to prepare for those possible power outages and disruptions to public services. In addition, forecasters predict falling temperatures during and behind this system, and in areas that suffer power outages this will lead to new challenges in the days after the storm departs. Virginians should make sure their family members, friends and neighbors are prepared for this storm. I encourage all Virginians to gather batteries, blankets, water, canned goods, and other necessities prior to the anticipated onset of storm conditions late Saturday and early Sunday.

This is one of those times when the storm won't hit here because we have no guests at any time during the period the storm may hit here. If we were full, that puppy would change course and head for here. Like it did last year. When we lost power and had guests demanding refunds because we had no lights.

It all depends on when it comes around, we have guests from Nova Scotia and all over this weekend. If it holds off til Monday I would be forever grateful.
This is our last big bang for the year, and hopefully not our THIRD BIG BANG, ie natural disaster and call to the insurance company on speed dial. Never spoke to them in 9 years, but this year, twice already, we don't even have all the lightning damage repaired yet, or paid for.

Although an uncommon practice, even in my world, I DO cancel with full refund for "named storm" events. Frankly, I don't want people here when we have a storm because there's no telling what will happen, what/where we might move to, or just how unpleasant it will be. And I don't want them in my way in the days before because we get very busy preparing. I can imagine it's the same in terms of time required to prep for landlubbers, too. This is only for named storm events - not for "it's going to be rainy this weekend." It doesn't really cost me anything in terms of wasted food because we know ahead of time what's coming and I don't buy perishables that far in advance anyway. Other people tell their customers that that's what travel insurance is for, but to me, I think it's just not fair. Like I said, I'm fairly alone in my opinion and practice, but I feel better taking the position that I do.
As for Sandy, she passed us well to the east of us yesterday, over the Far Bahamas. She is a large storm in terms of surface coverage, and we had a lot of wind (clocking a little over 60 mph at times), much like Isaac brought us not too long ago, but it wasn't too bad. I slept way better last night than I thought I would. For those of you up in the Chessie, this isn't going to be pretty. I've read reports that Sandy is going to rival "The Perfect Storm of 1991", and that one was bad enough that they made a movie based upon it. Prayers for everyone. Keep in touch here best you can so we know you're alright.
In the wake of Sandy, we will be enjoying some much sought after 50-degree nights in the next day or two. Time to open the windows and change out the air inside. Crisp, cool, DRY air.

This one got me too. I had 2 ladies here who left 1 day early because of the impending storm. They are afraid of going over the mountain at Sidling Hill on Rte 68. At least it was only 1 night,.
They should worry. Good old Garrett County..ALWAYS gets the worst. But...it isn't coming in until Monday....so they say now.

I guess you got the roof repaired from the last storm. Hope it holds this time!!!

This one got me too. I had 2 ladies here who left 1 day early because of the impending storm. They are afraid of going over the mountain at Sidling Hill on Rte 68. At least it was only 1 night,.
They should worry. Good old Garrett County..ALWAYS gets the worst. But...it isn't coming in until Monday....so they say now.
Weve got SNOW!!!! - this has never happened before ever! snow in october!!!!

We might have snow next week. Go take some pix!

Just a few years ago we had a big snow in October. The leaves were still on the trees which caused a lot of damage that would not have happened otherwise. When the limbs crashed down from the weight of the snow power lines etc were brought down, poles snapped, limbs crashed into houses....... It took weeks to get the power back to everyone because they are not kidding here when they say, "You can't get there from here." The location of some of the poles they needed to replace were in places a mountain goat would have a problem getting to - no road to it, on a hillside, and next to a creek for starters.

We might have snow next week. Go take some pix!
We have snow here too. It is very strange . Locals are puzzled. The grapes for wine making are hard hit. As it is far to soon to harvest for Ice wine. We have picked all our apples off the trees. Just in time.
We are leaving in the next few days for warm sun shine . If nothing more happens were are off and heading to an RV dealers to help fix our slide on our small motor home. Then Wednesday we hope to be at daughter's . YIPPEE!!!! Hope to be there for a few days.
Now were not certain how much snow is in the pass. But the web cam are showing a fair amount on the hyw. This morning it is raining at this level, so more snow in the mountains.UGH the skiers will have a great season of skiing for sure.

This is one of those times when the storm won't hit here because we have no guests at any time during the period the storm may hit here. If we were full, that puppy would change course and head for here. Like it did last year. When we lost power and had guests demanding refunds because we had no lights..
Had a full house last night but the guests in the cottage who live in MD decided to leave a day early to fly home before the storm hit. No early departure refund from us since we should be OK until Monday. Just finishing putting all the outdoor furniture, planters and screens away. After the "Perfect Storm" on Halloween in '91 we don't take anything for granted and prepare for the worst.
Thinking of all of you in the DC area and wishing you luck in getting through this storm in one piece.

Back