Sandy is coming

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the best radar to keep on your screen.
I like this map http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/26/us/hurricane-sandy-map.html it gives you the percentage chance of being in the storm path and shows you the current thought on where the path is going. The pink path is the uncertainty. It does appear to be moving west and looping back to visit me... but after I'm gone on vacation, hopefully.
I like this one for its interactive features and reliability. The discussion sections give more detail if anyone is interested in the data and not the hype. One of the many great things our government does for us
regular_smile.gif

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

I like this map http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/26/us/hurricane-sandy-map.html it gives you the percentage chance of being in the storm path and shows you the current thought on where the path is going. The pink path is the uncertainty. It does appear to be moving west and looping back to visit me... but after I'm gone on vacation, hopefully.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Yes the path, but we are expecting 50-75MPH winds for the next two to three days here, and worse than the derecho that tore our roof off and took trees down everywhere.
Funny in SW VA a max sec prison is on half staff today, and yet the schools are still in! Go figure.
Everything here on the coast in Southern NE is cancelled. We are about 250 miles from the center of this storm with winds currently at 38 mph and gusts to 50 mph. At the moment we are not projected to be in the direct path of the eye. But that will not matter with this storm because as it merges with the other two storm systems the whole huge thing will just come roaring through.
The great salt marsh we look out on is completely covered as the Atlantic as over-washed the outer barrier beach and is lapping at the shore at the base of the hill that keeps us high and dry. The howl of the wind is enough to keep me inside although I am tempted to get out to see if the road below us is washed over. Actually I am pleasantly surprised that we still have power.
thumbs_up.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Yes the path, but we are expecting 50-75MPH winds for the next two to three days here, and worse than the derecho that tore our roof off and took trees down everywhere.
Funny in SW VA a max sec prison is on half staff today, and yet the schools are still in! Go figure.
Everything here on the coast in Southern NE is cancelled. We are about 250 miles from the center of this storm with winds currently at 38 mph and gusts to 50 mph. At the moment we are not projected to be in the direct path of the eye. But that will not matter with this storm because as it merges with the other two storm systems the whole huge thing will just come roaring through.
The great salt marsh we look out on is completely covered as the Atlantic as over-washed the outer barrier beach and is lapping at the shore at the base of the hill that keeps us high and dry. The howl of the wind is enough to keep me inside although I am tempted to get out to see if the road below us is washed over. Actually I am pleasantly surprised that we still have power.
thumbs_up.gif

Starting to get windy here but it is really warm outside.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
thumbs_up.gif

Yes...here too. 61 degrees...kind of weird since we are usually getting this kind of nor'easter in during the cold season. The winds should die down some before they get to you....right?

Eric Arthur Blair said:
thumbs_up.gif

It's been unseasonably warm around here. Right now, it's 16c. It was over 20c yesterday... shorts wearing weather.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
thumbs_up.gif

It is starting to rain harder here now. A friend in D.C. just called and said the town is a ghost town. Winds are just now starting to pick up there. Thankfully we are too warm for snow..but at the top of Skyline Drive elevation is high enough they may get some. Guess we all just have to hope and pray it won't be as bad as they predict. Hang in there everyone!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
thumbs_up.gif

Yes...here too. 61 degrees...kind of weird since we are usually getting this kind of nor'easter in during the cold season. The winds should die down some before they get to you....right?
Silverspoon said:
I've taken in all the lightweight lawn furniture anyway. The stuff that generally falls over when it's windy. I think the last report said gusts of 50 MPH.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
thumbs_up.gif

It is starting to rain harder here now. A friend in D.C. just called and said the town is a ghost town. Winds are just now starting to pick up there. Thankfully we are too warm for snow..but at the top of Skyline Drive elevation is high enough they may get some. Guess we all just have to hope and pray it won't be as bad as they predict. Hang in there everyone!
EmptyNest said:
We are in the same boat that the jet stream will be pushing the cold air down over the mountains to meet up with the hurricane force winds on the western side of this storm. We had guests who wanted to stay tonight, they had to drive home to Jersey otherwise, and I had to tell them sorry. We have our own stuff to deal with, in fact, not sure about the legalities but I don't want another person on the property when something severe happens like this. I felt terrible but they understood. We are going to get snow, rain and wind 50-75 mph tonight. Leaves on the trees here so it won't be pretty later on.
We have alt heat and cook-top gas, I am making a big pot of soup in the crockpot and have other things lined up in case we need them. Had to bring all the plants in, including 21 ferns into the glass house downstairs, and baby it's cold out there! brrrrrrrrrrrrr
Stay safe everyone! Don't take any chances.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
thumbs_up.gif

EmptyNest said:
We are in the same boat that the jet stream will be pushing the cold air down over the mountains to meet up with the hurricane force winds on the western side of this storm. We had guests who wanted to stay tonight, they had to drive home to Jersey otherwise, and I had to tell them sorry. We have our own stuff to deal with, in fact, not sure about the legalities but I don't want another person on the property when something severe happens like this. I felt terrible but they understood. We are going to get snow, rain and wind 50-75 mph tonight. Leaves on the trees here so it won't be pretty later on.
We have alt heat and cook-top gas, I am making a big pot of soup in the crockpot and have other things lined up in case we need them. Had to bring all the plants in, including 21 ferns into the glass house downstairs, and baby it's cold out there! brrrrrrrrrrrrr
Blizzard condition alert in the mountains 60 miles from me. We might get a couple inches. Wind is gathering gusts here and it has been raining. We have friends coming in tomorrow - they are in Kentucky right now - and they have to be in Norfolk Thursday. I think we have convinced them to stay here Tues & Wed. By Thursday morning things should be settled down a bit - I hope.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
thumbs_up.gif

EmptyNest said:
So sad that the HMS Bounty sank off the coast of NC. 2 crew members were washed overboard while trying to get into life boats.
There was already flooding here at high tide earlier today. Sorry to see the lunatics who are out there taking the photos along the beaches and dragging their kids along with them.
I know what you mean about not having guests in case of severe weather.
Our power blipped out an hour ago. Heard a transformer pop somewhere down the street so that might just have been a squirrel! It doesn't look very windy but it sounds very windy!
Here's a short video from nearby: http://bangordailynews.com/2012/10/29/news/midcoast/hurricane-sandy-sends-high-waves-over-rockland-breakwater/?ref=latest

Eric Arthur Blair said:
thumbs_up.gif

EmptyNest said:
Blizzard condition alert in the mountains 60 miles from me. We might get a couple inches. Wind is gathering gusts here and it has been raining. We have friends coming in tomorrow - they are in Kentucky right now - and they have to be in Norfolk Thursday. I think we have convinced them to stay here Tues & Wed. By Thursday morning things should be settled down a bit - I hope.
gillumhouse said:
Norfolk will be closed. It is flooding today right now, I have acquaintances there, I saw photos. And getting from you to there would be VERY DANGEROUS at this point. Schools are all closed here now as well. With derecho there were power outages for weeks around here. We had days, most had weeks and weeks.
I think by Thursday they will have a better picture to move onward... :)

Eric Arthur Blair said:
thumbs_up.gif

EmptyNest said:
So sad that the HMS Bounty sank off the coast of NC. 2 crew members were washed overboard while trying to get into life boats.
There was already flooding here at high tide earlier today. Sorry to see the lunatics who are out there taking the photos along the beaches and dragging their kids along with them.
Our power blipped out an hour ago. Heard a transformer pop somewhere down the street so that might just have been a squirrel! It doesn't look very windy but it sounds very windy!
Here's a short video from nearby: http://bangordailynews.com/2012/10/29/news/midcoast/hurricane-sandy-sends-high-waves-over-rockland-breakwater/?ref=latest
Madeleine said:
What the heck were they thinking...I don't get that one. Every boat along there was lifted out of the water or far gone before this one hit.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
thumbs_up.gif

EmptyNest said:
gillumhouse said:
Norfolk will be closed. It is flooding today right now, I have acquaintances there, I saw photos. And getting from you to there would be VERY DANGEROUS at this point. Schools are all closed here now as well. With derecho there were power outages for weeks around here. We had days, most had weeks and weeks.
I think by Thursday they will have a better picture to move onward... :)
That is what I figured. There is some sort of ceremony (at Newport I think) on Friday that they are going there for - Rev War at a guess. We knew them when we were in the North west Terr itory Alli ance - a Rev War living history group. They were artillery. They have 2 cannons and a howitzer - we were sutlers as DH was the gunsmith.

To put some perspective on how large and intense this storm really is, Sandy is over a thousand miles away from me, and still, we're getting "storm surge" if you want to call it that. We (and everyone else along the entire coast) have higher than usual tides with the full moon, and then the storm is pushing the sea south between Florida and the Bahamas, against the Gulfstream which runs north making for 15' seas out there (the Gulfstream is just 7 miles offshore from here). That's quite telling as to how much energy Sandy has. All of that is creating huge tides. Miami Beach is still flooded, as is A1A in Fort Lauderdale, and seawater is over my piers - I've NEVER seen that before, not since Hurricane Wilma which was a direct hit. While the wind did die down, I'm still getting some ugly gusts tonight - worse today than a day or so ago.
Given what I'm still seeing here, I cannot even imagine how bad it is up north where Sandy really is. I have friends up in the Northeast who could not get their boats hauled - just too many boats to haul in the time that they had. And those that did get hauled and put on stands...the surge is going to (if not already) float them off. It's not like these size boats can be hauled out and trucked inland; they're just too big. I saw some photos from early afternoon and the water was already creeping up on the bottoms of the hulls for those boats on the hard, fuel docks gone, etc., and the storm had not even fully arrived yet. I'm afraid I'm going to have several utterly devastated friends tomorrow morning; I hope none of you are in that group. :( Be safe.

To put some perspective on how large and intense this storm really is, Sandy is over a thousand miles away from me, and still, we're getting "storm surge" if you want to call it that. We (and everyone else along the entire coast) have higher than usual tides with the full moon, and then the storm is pushing the sea south between Florida and the Bahamas, against the Gulfstream which runs north making for 15' seas out there (the Gulfstream is just 7 miles offshore from here). That's quite telling as to how much energy Sandy has. All of that is creating huge tides. Miami Beach is still flooded, as is A1A in Fort Lauderdale, and seawater is over my piers - I've NEVER seen that before, not since Hurricane Wilma which was a direct hit. While the wind did die down, I'm still getting some ugly gusts tonight - worse today than a day or so ago.
Given what I'm still seeing here, I cannot even imagine how bad it is up north where Sandy really is. I have friends up in the Northeast who could not get their boats hauled - just too many boats to haul in the time that they had. And those that did get hauled and put on stands...the surge is going to (if not already) float them off. It's not like these size boats can be hauled out and trucked inland; they're just too big. I saw some photos from early afternoon and the water was already creeping up on the bottoms of the hulls for those boats on the hard, fuel docks gone, etc., and the storm had not even fully arrived yet. I'm afraid I'm going to have several utterly devastated friends tomorrow morning; I hope none of you are in that group. :( Be safe..
You also stay safe.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
thumbs_up.gif

EmptyNest said:
You did the 100% right thing to send them home (1) its safer for them and (2) you have more than enough on dealing with your own storm protection!
My DH was just quickly looking over this thread "what do people do in a storm sort of ring in sick?" im like pretty sure if that hits your area no one is giving a toss about you coming in for work!!!!! (unless you are fire or ambulance or course!)
Everyone stay safe and don't even think about taking any risks!

Looking forward to hearing updates from everyone this morning. We need a Roll Call!

Well, 8:30 AM here and I'm looking out at sunny skies and a school bus stopping across the street. I'm kind of surprised to see the bus.
Looks like another storm is headed here as I can see a wall of clouds moving in.
Power is still on. Doesn't look like any trees came down in the yard. Whew!
Already had a call from another innkeeper about 5 miles from here- no power there. Saw there were incredible floods in NYC. My brother lost power in NY early on.

Back