Sarcasm is not appreciated

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Just want the guests who think they are funny to know they are not funny. They think they are funny, and their sarcasm is merely putting other people down, trying to be witty.
Last night we had such a scene, very rarely does DH interact with the guests other than breakfast on the weekends, last night when he heard the banter from these two couples at check in he nearly came out into the foyer.
I know plenty of truly funny people, that is what I love about them, dry wit is my thang, but sarcasm, nope, that is just rudeness disguised as humor. Cynical YES, I can take cynical this is why I love our NYC guests so much! Gimmee cynical I can roll with that!

Dry wit "runs" in our family, and DH can be really off the wall and out of the park, but I realize that not everyone understands it. I think when dealing with people, unless you really know them, be the straight man. Or, I suppose say "bazinga".... Mean is just plain mean, any way you cut it.

Dry wit "runs" in our family, and DH can be really off the wall and out of the park, but I realize that not everyone understands it. I think when dealing with people, unless you really know them, be the straight man. Or, I suppose say "bazinga".... Mean is just plain mean, any way you cut it..
Yeah, we're like that in my family. Unfortunate that one grandson does not understand humor of that sort at all. He always thinks everyone is picking on him or his family and he's always telling us he doesn't like it. I hope he eventually grows out of this and learns we are not picking or even teasing, it's all just the way we show we love him.

White Pine I think MOST people do not have a sense of humor, so dry wit is lost on them. I give up, some people are just miserable and see no joy in anything. I like to laugh! I find at times I get too serious around here (this biz) and want to laugh again. Picture me and DH at Madea (Tyler Perry) sold out show in a civic center last week. Front row. Yes, two blonds in the front row center, and we loved every minute of it! Laughed hard and was moved to tears, such an amazing person (Tyler Perry) and inspiration.

OH yes, and dry wit can be deadly if it comes from the innkeeper! We have a get-away inn we visit with just such an innkeeper. We get a chuckle out of his deadpan humor, but we know him well and understand where he is coming from. From time to time I check their reviews, which are about equally divided between "love 'em and and hate 'em"! The younger set finds the innkeeper insulting....they just don't get him. The reviews would be much better if he stayed in the background doing the paper work!

White Pine I think MOST people do not have a sense of humor, so dry wit is lost on them. I give up, some people are just miserable and see no joy in anything. I like to laugh! I find at times I get too serious around here (this biz) and want to laugh again. Picture me and DH at Madea (Tyler Perry) sold out show in a civic center last week. Front row. Yes, two blonds in the front row center, and we loved every minute of it! Laughed hard and was moved to tears, such an amazing person (Tyler Perry) and inspiration..
Great for you! Laugh often. I think there are different kinds of appreciation of humor. Some like just the physical. I love the dry humor and puns that I was raised with. There are some out there tho who when you look in their eyes, you can see "vacant" and "for rent" signs, best not to try to engage them.... As for those who suck the joy out of life, avoid them the best you can. You can't make the misery in life any better, but you can try to avoid staying there mentally. Avoid TV, read a well written book, throw a dog a ball, listen to a baby giggle, you'll feel better in no time.

White Pine I think MOST people do not have a sense of humor, so dry wit is lost on them. I give up, some people are just miserable and see no joy in anything. I like to laugh! I find at times I get too serious around here (this biz) and want to laugh again. Picture me and DH at Madea (Tyler Perry) sold out show in a civic center last week. Front row. Yes, two blonds in the front row center, and we loved every minute of it! Laughed hard and was moved to tears, such an amazing person (Tyler Perry) and inspiration..
Great for you! Laugh often. I think there are different kinds of appreciation of humor. Some like just the physical. I love the dry humor and puns that I was raised with. There are some out there tho who when you look in their eyes, you can see "vacant" and "for rent" signs, best not to try to engage them.... As for those who suck the joy out of life, avoid them the best you can. You can't make the misery in life any better, but you can try to avoid staying there mentally. Avoid TV, read a well written book, throw a dog a ball, listen to a baby giggle, you'll feel better in no time.
white pine said:
You inspired me to tweet this photo I took yesterday. HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Some days you are the dog, some days the hydrant...keep on laughing everyone! Life is too short to be a bore. [/COLOR]http://pic.twitter.com/pg9uJOzM

OH yes, and dry wit can be deadly if it comes from the innkeeper! We have a get-away inn we visit with just such an innkeeper. We get a chuckle out of his deadpan humor, but we know him well and understand where he is coming from. From time to time I check their reviews, which are about equally divided between "love 'em and and hate 'em"! The younger set finds the innkeeper insulting....they just don't get him. The reviews would be much better if he stayed in the background doing the paper work!.
One of the PO's here thought he was humorous. But he was really PA with his 'humor'. He spent one morning, when we were just guests here, insulting his wife by repeatedly telling everyone that this was the 'blueberry-pecan muffin' without the pecans because SOMEONE forgot to put them in. He told every guest. Instead of just saying it was a bluebery muffin, he had to rub in that she forgot the pecans. Every time. And then he would ask how we liked the 'blueberry-pecan muffin' and, 'Oh, I forgot, NO PECANS!'
When we took over he came in the first morning, punched one of the guests in the arm, called him a bastard and then called DH an a**h**e in front of all the other guests. We were never so happy as to see the back of him.
And yet to read the reviews he was a gracious, caring, kind, thoughtful host. To hear the repeats talk he was a cold, smarmy, absentee host. It was like Jekyll and Hyde here for awhile trying to sort it out.

I have really worked hard over the years to get away from sarcasm, cynicism, personal ironies of others, and the like. Grew up with all that and realize now that this was how our family dealt with our personal insecurities. Make fun of someone else and it makes you feel better (than them)
Replaced it with humor about things instead of people, self-depricating humor, funny or corny puns, and the turn of a phrase.
Never realized how damaging it was to poke fun at others. It's a long lovely journey.

Back