Savannah b&b?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaGirl

Reaction score
I was wondering if we have any Savannah Innkeepers here now?? I might be going for a weekend in July.

Go to Charleston instead....trust me on this.
wink_smile.gif

Go to Charleston instead....trust me on this.
wink_smile.gif
Now, see - I've been to Charleston twice and Savannah once, and I actually liked Savannah better. Seems like a more 'real' city while Charleston is a little Disney-fied for me. We stayed at the Kehoe House B&B and it was nice. That said, if I went back I would try to get into the Hamilton-Turner House.

We were in Savannah last year and we were sooooooooo disappointed. Unless you're into Paula Deen, there's not much to see. Whereas, Charleston, especially in the Battery, has low country cooking, Ft. Sumpter, wonderful architecture and ambience. There's a lot more to do and see.
In Savannah it was difficult finding a good place to eat, especially one that featured regional cuisine. There was also very little to see and do except for the Paula Deen tour, which only the most die-hard fans would enjoy.

We were in Savannah last year and we were sooooooooo disappointed. Unless you're into Paula Deen, there's not much to see. Whereas, Charleston, especially in the Battery, has low country cooking, Ft. Sumpter, wonderful architecture and ambience. There's a lot more to do and see.
In Savannah it was difficult finding a good place to eat, especially one that featured regional cuisine. There was also very little to see and do except for the Paula Deen tour, which only the most die-hard fans would enjoy..
I'm not at all into Paula Deen - and we did not wait in line at her restaurant - but we found some excellent places to eat using an article from Southern Living about undiscovered restaurants. I thought the museum in Savannah was very nice. I would have considered 'the book' tour (Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil) but contented myself with seeing the birdbath from the cemetery now in the museum. We also went on a historic house tour but I forget which one.
Charleston is pretty, too - don't get me wrong. There are some really great restaurants there, although pricey - Hominy Grill was my favorite. The carriage tours are nice as is the marketplace, but I just found it all a little too touristy. Maybe because it was a second visit.

I like Charleston too, we used to live just outside the city a few years ago so I have been many times. Savannah is a more "walkable" city to me. We barely get back into our car once we get there. I just love the atmosphere of Savannah. Everytime we go we do something a little different. Ghost tours, house tours, Tybee Island, Bonaventure Cemetary, etc. I would never wait in line for Paula Deen's restaurant! That's the way I used to eat as a young child so I've really had my fill
confused_smile.gif
besides, I can make collards, cornbread and banana pudding at home! But thad being said, Paula brings in a lot of tourists which is good for their business.

I like Charleston too, we used to live just outside the city a few years ago so I have been many times. Savannah is a more "walkable" city to me. We barely get back into our car once we get there. I just love the atmosphere of Savannah. Everytime we go we do something a little different. Ghost tours, house tours, Tybee Island, Bonaventure Cemetary, etc. I would never wait in line for Paula Deen's restaurant! That's the way I used to eat as a young child so I've really had my fill
confused_smile.gif
besides, I can make collards, cornbread and banana pudding at home! But thad being said, Paula brings in a lot of tourists which is good for their business..
The two restaurants that we liked were relatively close to the Kehoe House - B. Matthews for lunch and the Firefly Cafe for dinner. The guy who checked us in at Kehoe was surprised we had heard of the Firefly - I guess it is well-known by locals but not by tourists.
I really enjoyed walking around the Savannah neighborhoods between our B&B and the riverfront. I thought what the Savannah School of Architecture was doing was really interesting. But we were only there for two nights so we didn't get to do everything. The Kehoe House was lovely, had an excellent breakfast (chosen from a menu the night before) and a really nice wine and appetizers happy hour in the evening. It's a corporate-owned B&B though so don't expect the real personal treatment - we got good service from our check-in guy but never saw him again and the succession of staff members we did see were kinda frosty. Hamilton-Turner gets good reviews - both are Select Registry inns.

I love Charleston...sigh...wish I could go back. With the exception of Jacquemo's (sp?) we avoided the well known restaurants and hit all the cheesy little local hangouts...yum yum. We stayed at "36 Meeting Street B&B". I loved our great big suite in the Carriage House, and we left the french doors open to the courtyard with magnolia trees every night we were there. The downside for many would be that she left continental breakfast fixin's in our kitchenette the first night and we saw no more food for the rest of our long weekend. We never saw anyone, never met the Innkeeper, as we picked up our keys in an envelope with a note on the front door.
Never had anyone come and clean our room either. Funny how I didn't even care. I sort of liked not having to deal with anyone....you know for being in this business, DH & I end up being rather unsociable guests. It's my dream town with all those beautiful old homes, I don't know how many rolls of film we burned up.
Never been to Savanna, would love to try it sometime...maybe in the "afterlife".

Savannah in July. Sounds like hell. So, try Tybee Island instead. The Tybee Island Inn to be exact. 2 short blocks to the beach. Easy walk to restaurants (although the best ones are a drive). It's a bit honky tonk downtown, but you can avoid that. If you like Paula, her brother has a place out there. We went where the locals go because we went in Jan when nothing is open.
Easy drive back into Savannah for the day.

confused_smile.gif
besides, I can make collards, cornbread and banana pudding at home! But thad being said, Paula brings in a lot of tourists which is good for their business..
The two restaurants that we liked were relatively close to the Kehoe House - B. Matthews for lunch and the Firefly Cafe for dinner. The guy who checked us in at Kehoe was surprised we had heard of the Firefly - I guess it is well-known by locals but not by tourists.
I really enjoyed walking around the Savannah neighborhoods between our B&B and the riverfront. I thought what the Savannah School of Architecture was doing was really interesting. But we were only there for two nights so we didn't get to do everything. The Kehoe House was lovely, had an excellent breakfast (chosen from a menu the night before) and a really nice wine and appetizers happy hour in the evening. It's a corporate-owned B&B though so don't expect the real personal treatment - we got good service from our check-in guy but never saw him again and the succession of staff members we did see were kinda frosty. Hamilton-Turner gets good reviews - both are Select Registry inns.
muirford said:
It's a corporate-owned B&B though so don't expect the real personal treatment - we got good service from our check-in guy but never saw him again and the succession of staff members we did see were kinda frosty. Hamilton-Turner gets good reviews - both are Select Registry inns.
Which explains why we had such a tough time finding a place to stay when we went. Everything seemed to be corporate and no good breakfast, all continental. I know I've beat this one to death, but being asked if we wanted A bagel or A donut for breakfast really turned us off the bigger places. And it's worse because I own a B&B. I know what it takes to provide a nice meal at a good price. So it annoys me no end that these corporate places want to keep all the profits and just serve grocery store food.

confused_smile.gif
muirford said:
It's a corporate-owned B&B though so don't expect the real personal treatment - we got good service from our check-in guy but never saw him again and the succession of staff members we did see were kinda frosty. Hamilton-Turner gets good reviews - both are Select Registry inns.
Which explains why we had such a tough time finding a place to stay when we went. Everything seemed to be corporate and no good breakfast, all continental. I know I've beat this one to death, but being asked if we wanted A bagel or A donut for breakfast really turned us off the bigger places. And it's worse because I own a B&B. I know what it takes to provide a nice meal at a good price. So it annoys me no end that these corporate places want to keep all the profits and just serve grocery store food.
I have to say that the food was actually quite good at the Kehoe House. Menu selections for breakfast with a choice of eggs or french toast, breakfast meat, juice. Evening apps were different each night and not just cookies (like we do) but one night mozzarella & tomato with olive oil plus cheese and crackers, another night salmon puffs and fruit with a red and white wine, decent quality, open for serve yourself.
Now in Charleston, hardly anyone did a full breakfast and the B&B we stayed at did, but it wasn't great. Some sweet bread, instant oatmeal, and juice - not enough space in the dining room for everyone so you were stuck waiting your turn.

confused_smile.gif
muirford said:
I have to say that the food was actually quite good at the Kehoe House. Menu selections for breakfast with a choice of eggs or french toast, breakfast meat, juice. Evening apps were different each night and not just cookies (like we do) but one night mozzarella & tomato with olive oil plus cheese and crackers, another night salmon puffs and fruit with a red and white wine, decent quality, open for serve yourself.
Now in Charleston, hardly anyone did a full breakfast and the B&B we stayed at did, but it wasn't great. Some sweet bread, instant oatmeal, and juice - not enough space in the dining room for everyone so you were stuck waiting your turn.
We always missed the afternoon refreshments, but those sound great! I think we looked at 6-8 places and just got fed up trying to find a decent brekkie. Hubs wants grits. He wants pork. He wants butter. He needs a breakfast in the morning. (He doesn't eat here, but he wants it when we're on vacation!)
Other than our lone trip to NM, we ALWAYS go to Charleston or Savannah. Load him up with Southern food, he's a pig in heaven. Someday we are going to Italy. Then I'LL eat!

In Savannah it was difficult finding a good place to eat, especially one that featured regional cuisine. There was also very little to see and do except for the Paula Deen tour, which only the most die-hard fans would enjoy..
Proud Texan said:
In Savannah it was difficult finding a good place to eat, especially one that featured regional cuisine. There was also very little to see and do except for the Paula Deen tour, which only the most die-hard fans would enjoy.
this surprises me. we walked and found great places to eat on every corner. we did go to lady & sons just to say we had done the touristy stuff but there were really great places everywher. let me look and see what notes i kept on places to eat. there were some real hole in the wall places wefound while we were taking the trolley tour around to get ur bearing.

Wow, have to jump in on this one. We have vacationed outside of Charleston for the better part of 30 years, almost every year, and we never tire of that city. Yes, the restaurants are pricey, but if you do your homework, you can find out where the locals eat and give them a try. We went to Savannah only once and it just didn't hold a candle to Charleston; however, that just goes to show you, different strokes for different folks. I have heard so many good things about Savannah that I would like to give it another try just to see if the first time was a fluke. We have not stayed in a B&B in Charleston, but I have no doubt they too are pricey unless you get a little further out of the city proper.

Savannah in July. Sounds like hell. So, try Tybee Island instead. The Tybee Island Inn to be exact. 2 short blocks to the beach. Easy walk to restaurants (although the best ones are a drive). It's a bit honky tonk downtown, but you can avoid that. If you like Paula, her brother has a place out there. We went where the locals go because we went in Jan when nothing is open.
Easy drive back into Savannah for the day..
Bree said:
Savannah in July. Sounds like hell. .
Yeah, it is....but that's basically our weather from May/June - October
confused_smile.gif
It's my daughter Caitlin's birthday and I've created a monster, all she wants for gifts anymore is to go on a trip! It looks like we might end up not being able to go after all...she's taking Summer classes and our expenses were more than we were anticipating and then to top it off we had to spend $$ on one of our AC units.

confused_smile.gif
muirford said:
Bree said:
muirford said:
Our first b&b stay was at the Dresser Palmer House and they have a chef who comes in cooks to order a full breakfast & they have an evening social with wine. I believe they are corporate owned but they were very friendly and helpful. Now, I wouldn't stay there again in the Summer since they were all the way down by Forsyth Park but I definately would stay again in the cooler months (since we walk everywhere and that's just too far in the heat & humidity
sad_smile.gif
).
I'll cook your hubs some grits, I love grits! I have an awesome casserole that uses grits, broccoli & cheese, yum!

Proud Texan said:
this surprises me. we walked and found great places to eat on every corner. we did go to lady & sons just to say we had done the touristy stuff but there were really great places everywher. let me look and see what notes i kept on places to eat. there were some real hole in the wall places wefound while we were taking the trolley tour around to get ur bearing.
Is the Pink House restaurant not still there??? The upstairs was more formal and expensive and the downstairs was a great cafe
RIki

Proud Texan said:
Is the Pink House restaurant not still there??? The upstairs was more formal and expensive and the downstairs was a great cafe
RIki
Yes, they are still there. I've never eaten there though.

Proud Texan said:
RIki
GeorgiaGirl said:
When my parents lived on Hilton Head they used to go to the upper restaurant for special occasions. It was the first restaurant I ever dined at where they gave ladies the menu with no prices! The word was not to order something from the menu and ask that it be changed. They said the chef was temperamental!

My folks loved the downstairs cafe best. My mother loved their Monte Cristo sandwich and my dad used to try and wheezle a drink recipe from them - I think it was their mint julip recipe?
Ah, good memories!
Riki

Back