Save a dollar...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do shop local when we can. I agree with those that state it is mostly service - or lack of - that make us shop on line or neighboring cities.
We were just discussing this very thing today and named a good dozen local businesses that we will never, I repeat never, darken their doors again. We have been in several of this shops, looked around waiting for someone to help us, but no one bothers to walk the few steps, or turns their backs when we approach. These are small businesses, folks! Don't they NEED business in order to stay open?
Then there are those that price themselves out of range. Recently we were in the market for a new pool liner. First stop was to the company that installed the pool. Here's our price and if you want us to do it you better hurry as we will not have time in a few weeks. We got another couple of quotes as well and also priced the purchase of the liner online. All the quotes had the installation charges about the same, it was the liner cost that was different in each. And why? We were compairing apples to apples - same exact liner. We ended up purchasing online and saving between 550-850 depending on the company. We had some friends that own a pool company in another city come in to do the work as they were not busy at the time. It worked out well. Sorry locals lost out, but that is a chunk of change! I don't mind paying a little more for GOOD local service!
And lets not get into the INS rates if I used a local company!
Now where's my glass of wine!.
As a former retailer, I can explain why a small business may charge more for the same product. They PAY more for it. It was always a challenge to find a product I could sell for a full mark-up. I would find something and be told it would NOT be in the big box stores, then find it there for LESS THAN WHAT I PAID !! OTOH, sometimes I could sell products at a full mark-up for less than what the big stores sold it for "on sale".
We did give REALLY good service. ButI learned some want alll the service, and demand a discount price to go with it. I am seeing this here in the threads about discounted rooms. Very disturbing.
No, maybe I didn't get my point acrossed. I really understand why small businesses charge more - WE too charge more because we pay more for things! The example of the pool liner was the EXCESSive goudging on the local companies part AS WELL as the lack of wanting the work even at that price - this is what they do for a living.
We did not go in asking for a special rate or discount, we asked for their quote. The couple that came in to do this work for us stated the prices that were quoted for the liner - not the labor were far beyond reasonable and being that we were doing this in their slow season (winter) you would think they would be at least fair with their prices. This couple under priced their service and we gave them a good bonus, above what was quoted in the local business quotes for the same service.
The biggest point I wanted to make was the lack of service we find at local places. I guess it hits us more because service IS our business, it is what sets us apart from the big boxes. If I go into a Home Depot, I am greeted near the door "can I help you find something?" and then once in the isle another "finding everything you need?" Then go to a local bath/kitchen place and get snubbed, and when asked a question they reply as though you asked them what is the meaning of life. They were in business long before Home Depot was even thought of, they developed the mindset that they could be this way because they were the ONLY one in town, you had to shop there. This mindset is so imbeded in some businesses around here that it will be their demise.
And that is what I was trying to say - the service is there. Our downtown is starting to come back - because the new shops understand that people want acknowledgement and service. The big box stores started the "no service necessary if you cut prices" mentality and even they are discovering that people have finally awakened and are missing the service. That is why Big Box is now saying good morning and can we help you. I think some of the smal Ma & Pa shops are still there because the owners bought the building long ago and do not know what else they would do with the day if they closed. This routine of get up and go to the shop is a part of their "being" and they have given up being viable against Wally & his world. Wally can SELL for less than Ma & Pa can buy @ wholesale.
Small retail is dead. New owners have to pay more overhead than the old timers who have it paid off. They will go under in less than five years, more often less than three. People like to browse to be amused, but not buy, they go big box or online. Smart phones make it possible to scan & check who has the best price for that item. If people can b&b cheaper online, or discounted via coupons, they will... Just sayin, it's a no win race to the bottom. Sell value, don't go cheap, I always said I have my best price available to everyone. Bottom feeders will go elsewhere.

We do shop local when we can. I agree with those that state it is mostly service - or lack of - that make us shop on line or neighboring cities.
We were just discussing this very thing today and named a good dozen local businesses that we will never, I repeat never, darken their doors again. We have been in several of this shops, looked around waiting for someone to help us, but no one bothers to walk the few steps, or turns their backs when we approach. These are small businesses, folks! Don't they NEED business in order to stay open?
Then there are those that price themselves out of range. Recently we were in the market for a new pool liner. First stop was to the company that installed the pool. Here's our price and if you want us to do it you better hurry as we will not have time in a few weeks. We got another couple of quotes as well and also priced the purchase of the liner online. All the quotes had the installation charges about the same, it was the liner cost that was different in each. And why? We were compairing apples to apples - same exact liner. We ended up purchasing online and saving between 550-850 depending on the company. We had some friends that own a pool company in another city come in to do the work as they were not busy at the time. It worked out well. Sorry locals lost out, but that is a chunk of change! I don't mind paying a little more for GOOD local service!
As a former retailer, I can explain why a small business may charge more for the same product. They PAY more for it. It was always a challenge to find a product I could sell for a full mark-up. I would find something and be told it would NOT be in the big box stores, then find it there for LESS THAN WHAT I PAID !! OTOH, sometimes I could sell products at a full mark-up for less than what the big stores sold it for "on sale".
We did give REALLY good service. ButI learned some want alll the service, and demand a discount price to go with it. I am seeing this here in the threads about discounted rooms. Very disturbing.
No, maybe I didn't get my point acrossed. I really understand why small businesses charge more - WE too charge more because we pay more for things! The example of the pool liner was the EXCESSive goudging on the local companies part AS WELL as the lack of wanting the work even at that price - this is what they do for a living.
We did not go in asking for a special rate or discount, we asked for their quote. The couple that came in to do this work for us stated the prices that were quoted for the liner - not the labor were far beyond reasonable and being that we were doing this in their slow season (winter) you would think they would be at least fair with their prices. This couple under priced their service and we gave them a good bonus, above what was quoted in the local business quotes for the same service.
The biggest point I wanted to make was the lack of service we find at local places. I guess it hits us more because service IS our business, it is what sets us apart from the big boxes. If I go into a Home Depot, I am greeted near the door "can I help you find something?" and then once in the isle another "finding everything you need?" Then go to a local bath/kitchen place and get snubbed, and when asked a question they reply as though you asked them what is the meaning of life. They were in business long before Home Depot was even thought of, they developed the mindset that they could be this way because they were the ONLY one in town, you had to shop there. This mindset is so imbeded in some businesses around here that it will be their demise.
And that is what I was trying to say - the service is there. Our downtown is starting to come back - because the new shops understand that people want acknowledgement and service. The big box stores started the "no service necessary if you cut prices" mentality and even they are discovering that people have finally awakened and are missing the service. That is why Big Box is now saying good morning and can we help you. I think some of the smal Ma & Pa shops are still there because the owners bought the building long ago and do not know what else they would do with the day if they closed. This routine of get up and go to the shop is a part of their "being" and they have given up being viable against Wally & his world. Wally can SELL for less than Ma & Pa can buy @ wholesale.
Small retail is dead. New owners have to pay more overhead than the old timers who have it paid off. They will go under in less than five years, more often less than three. People like to browse to be amused, but not buy, they go big box or online. Smart phones make it possible to scan & check who has the best price for that item. If people can b&b cheaper online, or discounted via coupons, they will... Just sayin, it's a no win race to the bottom. Sell value, don't go cheap, I always said I have my best price available to everyone. Bottom feeders will go elsewhere.
The town where the spouse grew up is dead. He is always going on about what kinds of shops they had downtown when he was a kid. There are photos of the main street packed with cars, people everywhere. But all the jobs left. So, the shops closed, some were burned down and others were turned into apts.
Well, a small group of entrepreneurs have shown up lately with a plan to build a 700-home 'vacation' community on the old golf course. They have filed plans to dredge out a small marina and reopen the long-closed ski resort. The homes don't even have to be seasonal as the schools have 23 vacant classrooms in any given year there are so few kids going to school there.
Well, with this plan in place, another entrepreneur has started buying up all the vacant buildings on the main st. He has filed plans for 2 new 'real' restaurants (the town has enough pizza, Chinese take out and diners, but no 'upscale' dining) and is renovating the storefronts to house other businesses he thinks the 'summer people' will want. His plan is to 'unify' the look of the main st back to what it used to be. Well-maintained storefronts with awnings that have the shop names, parking, sidewalk repairs, etc.
Someone else has started talking about turning an old factory in town into condos. Another group is working on getting the train station up and running again.
Altho a good chunk of the jobs will be in retail, restaurants and 'service' there will be jobs. And more jobs can only help.
Almost overnight the town is waking up and moving forward again. Hopefully, it all comes to pass. But it's good to see the energy.

The town where the spouse grew up is dead. He is always going on about what kinds of shops they had downtown when he was a kid. There are photos of the main street packed with cars, people everywhere. But all the jobs left. So, the shops closed, some were burned down and others were turned into apts.
Well, a small group of entrepreneurs have shown up lately with a plan to build a 700-home 'vacation' community on the old golf course. They have filed plans to dredge out a small marina and reopen the long-closed ski resort. The homes don't even have to be seasonal as the schools have 23 vacant classrooms in any given year there are so few kids going to school there.
Well, with this plan in place, another entrepreneur has started buying up all the vacant buildings on the main st. He has filed plans for 2 new 'real' restaurants (the town has enough pizza, Chinese take out and diners, but no 'upscale' dining) and is renovating the storefronts to house other businesses he thinks the 'summer people' will want. His plan is to 'unify' the look of the main st back to what it used to be. Well-maintained storefronts with awnings that have the shop names, parking, sidewalk repairs, etc.
Someone else has started talking about turning an old factory in town into condos. Another group is working on getting the train station up and running again.
Altho a good chunk of the jobs will be in retail, restaurants and 'service' there will be jobs. And more jobs can only help.
Almost overnight the town is waking up and moving forward again. Hopefully, it all comes to pass. But it's good to see the energy.
It is lovely to see good things like that happening, new energy builds. But the cold reality is that people have to buy there, not once a year, not a gift now and then.. Sevices do a little better, can't get someone to repair something online--you go local. Restaurants tend to do better too. People love to browse, then get a bite to eat. Most small towns that have intact main streets, are now mailnly service and restaurants. I still say small retail is dead. Seasonal is still tougher, you have to pay all the expenses with half the season. With DH in Historic Preservation, we have watched the rebirth and demise cycle way too many times. Build it and they will come doesn't work. The demand for it has to be there first--Sorry, VERY jaded today, will go eat chocolate now.

18 months ago a woman opened a "primitives" & crafts - furniture gifts, etc shop. Her husband's job takes him different places - this is not her first business. She has been so successful that she expanded this year into the space next door AND has convinced 2 similar but different shops to open (by locals) on either side of her.
Last month a bike shop, used furniture (gentlely used), and purses & jewelry w/tanning bed shops opened across the street from a new photographer sharing shop space with her brother (locals) who does designs for receptions, dances, etc. As soon as we can get the zoning codes revised on the parking issue, we will have a new Sports Bar & restaurant next to them. (We adopted the International Code and have found the problems with it and are making changes. There is no way a downtown business (restaurant) can have 60 off-street parking places! They have already worked out arrangements with the owners of parking areas around them - ie funeral home closes at 9 so will then be available, VFD across alley from that lot said OK (it is only me they do not like - thanks DH!). When we get our Community Center, we will be doing even better!
Basically what it takes are people who believe in the town. We have TSTP (the same ten people) syndrome, but the ten is expanding to 20 & 30. We built the park that no one expected to see. Our bocce courts have generated the building of bocce courts about 90 miles from here (the mayor is a Shinnston girl so Williard built them for her) and now we have been approached by a group in the southern part of the State about how to build bocce courts. We may end up with Tournaments around the State!
Now if we can get enough votes with the Reader's Digest thing! Our weekly expanded my article about it - a town of 350 managed to get over 1 million votes in the first round and got $250,000 in "profession and financial stimulous".

In our region, we pay more for everything. And I mean EVERYTHING. Everything from insurance, health care, lab work, hospital tests (ct scan, etc), labor, food, goods and services. Not only do we have the pleasure of paying more, but try getting anything scheduled and done. I pay more for my plumber, because he'll make us a priority if we need him. Need an electrician? You'll be put on the list and will be lucky to get them in 6 weeks.
I'll use a local contractor, but will buy the supplies ourselves and travel with the truck 2 hours each direction to save hundreds of dollars. I'll shop locally for small items, but I have no loyalty to the community that ignores that we are a vital asset.
I attended a meeting recently to see if we could participate in a quilt trail that could bring in some tourism to the area. What happened? About a week later, we were hit up for a donation. I was willing to give of my time and experience to the cause, but no! Now, you don't think they asked one of the many dairy farmers for free milk, did they? I'm disgusted and will probably not participate at all.
We have a great Pacific NW company called Les Schwab. They are known for customer service and they do it better than any other company I've ever seen. I don't care what they charge, and I won't shop around. If I need automotive help (tires, chains, batteries, brakes, etc) I will automatically head to Les Schwab. I've been to many different locations and they're all the same...wonderful. The attitude comes from the top. Finding great customer service gets people hooked. That's why b&bs get a lot of repeats. How often do customers get the feeling that it's all about them? It's a shame that small local businesses fall short of this and then die away.

I am lucky as I have a rental house and in it lives my Handy man and my chamber maid and her neice (not a couple but old friends) He is a trained electrician, can do plumbing and bathrooms and any general handyman things and has come out at 9.30pm on a sunday and not charged me though I do help him get work as I am happy to recomend him to my friends as he is an excellent price and a really nice chap. The only thing he can't do is gas so we have a separate gas man for that who works for packs of cigarettes (each to their own), with all the work we are doing at the moment the hardwear knomes know my when I go as they are litererally round the corner. However the run the business out of a series of lock up garages and sort of basements so you tell them what you want and they disappear for 5 mins or so an retrieve it. If they were all killed in an accident together no one would ever find anything again!

We have a little hardwear shop literally round the corner from us where they are super helpful (especially when I go in and say I need a thingmy that attaches to a jobby whatsit) they are never partonising and sometimes suggest a better/cheaper option. They also do a range of free soup/tea/coffee while you wait (they have various warhouses etc and do a lot of business with large places so it is a nice perk while they pack up your order) Then up the road we (4 mins walk) we have Becks electrical which does appliances and all sorts of weird bulbs and things and a nice tool shop next door to that (it was a good move on the tool shop's part as they are newer and they are compliamentry businesses) so I shop there all the time. we also use a local auction and the last big thing we bought they delivered free and set up for us they are really cool there. We used to play with their dog but some gimp rang the council and said the dog was a health and safety issue and people could trip on it so now it can't be with them at work. Some people blatently do not have enough to do! Also we have made friends with a good carpet person who this year has set up his own shop so we try and patronise him where we can (its not difficult as he is the best price in town) and send other people his way. Nice chaps doing the work they said they would when they said they would makes a change doesn't it?.
i like the 3/50 project
http://www.the350project.net/home.html
you pick three independently owned shops or businesses that you would really miss ... and shop there. trying to spend $50 per month in those 3 businesses to help keep them in business.
i will spend a little more to support locals if they give me great service. if their prices are a lot more, maybe i just can't. but, yes, i am loyal to some online stores ... that's life today.
I support the 3/50 project here. It can make a difference for quality businesses that we need and want to make it.

Back