Saving on Hotel Stays -

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I read that same article and thought the same thing. Oh yes, all those other charges are going to be there. You can bet on that.
The savings they might have realized on skipping housekeeping on rooms that would have probably had do-not-disturb signs on their doors anyway just disappeared. So they're going to try to make it up somewhere.
Many hotels are still racing each other to the bottom of the rate freefall. Not a good plan.
I especially don't like this idea since it gets guests in the mindset of thinking they can barter for this or that to come off of the bill. There's too much of that going on already.
Don't want housekeeping? That's what those do-not-disturb signs are for. Want a discount for that? Don't think so.
IMHO.

The best discount shopping I've heard here is, 'We're only staying a few hours, why are you charging for the whole night?' This from a woman who showed up at 10 PM and said she was leaving at 3, she just needed to sleep for awhile. So, essentially, she wanted to pay by the hour. Which, if I had been zippier on my feet (at 10 PM) I could have done...'If you're only staying a few hours, that's how we'll charge. In which case it's $50/hour.'
We've not heard the 'no cleaning, no paying' one before. No breakfast is a big one.
I seem to remember someone telling me he wouldn't shower or use any towels and that I could remove them from the room if I would discount.

Hmmph! I do housekeeping on request and I look at that as a plus for the guests. I tell them I only enter their room on request and most of my guests have been VERY happy to hear that - they do not like someone in their room. It is because I do not get the "walk-in" trade that I can do that (I think). I do not usually get "motel" people and since they know we live here (and Madam LaFarge is at her computer usually) there is less "mis-use" of the property.

The best discount shopping I've heard here is, 'We're only staying a few hours, why are you charging for the whole night?' This from a woman who showed up at 10 PM and said she was leaving at 3, she just needed to sleep for awhile. So, essentially, she wanted to pay by the hour. Which, if I had been zippier on my feet (at 10 PM) I could have done...'If you're only staying a few hours, that's how we'll charge. In which case it's $50/hour.'
We've not heard the 'no cleaning, no paying' one before. No breakfast is a big one.
I seem to remember someone telling me he wouldn't shower or use any towels and that I could remove them from the room if I would discount..
Morticia said:
I seem to remember someone telling me he wouldn't shower or use any towels and that I could remove them from the room if I would discount.
Ewww. Wonder if he meant the hand towels, too, and that he wouldn't be washing his hands either.

I seem to remember someone telling me he wouldn't shower or use any towels and that I could remove them from the room if I would discount..
Morticia said:
Ewww. Wonder if he meant the hand towels, too, and that he wouldn't be washing his hands either.
That is what they make shirt tails for!

Morticia said:
Double EWWWW

Morticia said:
Double EWWWW
Drying hands, not the other!

Morticia said:
Double EWWWW
Drying hands, not the other!
Thank God for small favors.

Back