Savory Breakfast Waffle Ideas

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing the tot hash browns right now. I'll let you know how it goes over!
It got rave reviews and not a single crumb of anything was left.
tot%20entree%20%281024x765%29.jpg

Breakfast was Greek yogurt parfait with fresh blackberries & blueberries, tot waffle with fried egg, bacon and avocado and chocolate croissants
Breakfast%20Tray%20%281024x765%29.jpg
Tots are defrosted completely??? Waffler is on what setting? Low, high??? It's not working here in the test kitchen!
Madeleine said:
Tots are defrosted completely??? Waffler is on what setting? Low, high??? It's not working here in the test kitchen!
I defrosted them completely. I used the waffle iron that closes and turns over. Highest setting, took it out when it beeped.
What problems are you having?

Breakfast was Greek yogurt parfait with fresh blackberries & blueberries, tot waffle with fried egg, bacon and avocado and chocolate croissants
Madeleine said:
I defrosted them completely. I used the waffle iron that closes and turns over. Highest setting, took it out when it beeped.
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
They weren't defrosted. Took 18 minutes to cook. We had it on the lowest setting. So, tomorrow we'll turn it up, defrost them and go from there.
How did you get it out? We had to take the waffle tray out and flip it over onto a cookie sheet.
Anyway, they came out fine, just took way too long.

Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
They weren't defrosted. Took 18 minutes to cook. We had it on the lowest setting. So, tomorrow we'll turn it up, defrost them and go from there.
How did you get it out? We had to take the waffle tray out and flip it over onto a cookie sheet.
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Only took about 5 minutes to cook. If you really cram them in there, they stay together more when you take it out. First one started to fall apart on me, but the next one that I crammed was much better. Each person got half a waffle with the stuff on top.

This sounds great! I can see that these tot waffles might be a great bed for scrambled tofu as a vegan alternative. I haven't had a chance to try this vegan scramble out but it's in my file waiting for a vegan guest. http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/tofu-scramble

Whoever is documenting this idea at their B&B, please use my caption "Play with your food"
as that was what tator-tots are for, kids/tots! DH cannot even say the word without laughing. Like teeter-totter.
Please use a fun caption. :)
here is a grown up version of tator tots

I have two different kinds of waffle machines..an old fashioned, regular depth and a deeper-indent Belgium waffle machine. Any idea which one will give better results?
These sound like a great alternative to heating the oven (and the whole kitchen) on those hot humid summer days.

I have two different kinds of waffle machines..an old fashioned, regular depth and a deeper-indent Belgium waffle machine. Any idea which one will give better results?
These sound like a great alternative to heating the oven (and the whole kitchen) on those hot humid summer days..
Just off the top of my head, I think the Belgian maker will make it crisper. Try them out and let us know!

Not savory, but I just found this recipe idea and I'm so there!!! Keep that waffle iron out! I suppose you could figure out a savory version also.
Waffle Puff Pastry.
That looks pretty easy!
I'm wondering if it needs to be the shells which are thicker or if the regular sheets will work as well. I only buy the sheets, so I'll have to try!
Let me know!
Madeleine said:
Let me know!
The sheet puff pastry worked great in my Belgian waffle maker! I buy the 5" square sheets by the case at my grocery warehouse. The 5" square was a perfect fit and made 4 small squares. You can cut them into the small squares for an appetizer size or leave them whole for an entree size. NO MESS!!

This morning I've been experimenting with the waffle iron and puff pastry sheets. I decided to take 1 5"x5" sheet, fill with a little mixture, fold over like a triangle and cook in the waffle maker. It was good, but looked a bit funny since it was now a triangle with squares. Also, the filling spilled out more than was acceptable.
Next I took 1 5"x5" sheet, put some apple pie filling on it, keeping the edges clean (no filling), then I placed another sheet on top and put the whole thing in the Belgium waffle maker. This one is the keeper! Hot apple pie waffle! Just a little spillage onto the maker which was easy to clean out with a paper towel between cookings.
One tip I have is the apple pie filling I use has chopped apple pieces, not the big thicker slices. I think the sliced kind will be too think, but you'll have to experiment for yourself.
Puff%20Pastry%20Waffle2%20%281024x765%29.jpg

This was the result...A good sized individual entree (these are luncheon plates). It was an experiment, so I didn't do any garnish.
Puff%20Pastry%20Waffle%20%281024x765%29.jpg

I opened this one up so you could see the apple filling.
They only took about 4 minutes to cook and the filling stayed hot for a long time.

Saw an episode of DDD making waffles from stuffing (ok it's really pre-made stuffing crisped in a waffle maker). I really want to try them. They looked fabulous.
Can't WAIT to try the tater tots waffles.

Just saw a post on FB taking 4 of the Pillsb brand cinnamon rolls and making them into waffles

I'm experimenting. The puff pastry really works a charm. I defrosted some puff, sauteed some apple and spices, oiled the waffle maker with some spiced butter and put apple mix between two sheets of untouched puff.
Next I'm going to try stuffing waffles.

Back