Savory Breakfast Waffle Ideas

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
I saw a cooking show on TV doing a bunch of dinner/main course savory waffles. Ranch waffles w/chicken, Taco waffles w/eggs and salsa...some better suited to breakfast than others. Now I hear the fast foodies are going to be serving eggs wrapped in taco waffles as a new breakfast item? Do you do a savory waffle breakfast? Looking for some savory, not so sweet waffle ideas.....Thanks

I've seen those photos and have to say 'yuck'. None of them look appealing. All that to say I don't have a savory waffle option here.
However, if you look around the savory crepes would be a could starting point.
Going to a breakfast cookoff soon. Will let you know if anyone has waffles and eggs.

I've seen those photos and have to say 'yuck'. None of them look appealing. All that to say I don't have a savory waffle option here.
Going to a breakfast cookoff soon. Will let you know if anyone has waffles and eggs..
I agree...waffles and eggs don't appeal to me. But I do think a lot of waffles are blah. I have found some ideas.. Sour cream and chive waffles served with sausage and Lingonberry syrup. Also, buttermilk biscuit or cornmeal waffle and sausage gravy. Ham and cheddar waffles....

Going to a breakfast cookoff soon. Will let you know if anyone has waffles and eggs..
I agree...waffles and eggs don't appeal to me. But I do think a lot of waffles are blah. I have found some ideas.. Sour cream and chive waffles served with sausage and Lingonberry syrup. Also, buttermilk biscuit or cornmeal waffle and sausage gravy. Ham and cheddar waffles....
Yes, if you doctor up the waffle itself that might help.

OK, just had waffles with fried chicken and waffles with eggs & bacon. The fried chicken was meh but the bacon and eggs on top was good!
Plain waffle, nothing special about it. Topped with cheese (cheddar) and a fried egg with a maple + bacon crumble on top. The crumble was too sweet for me but I don't like a lot of syrupy stuff on my food, either.
Yes, we are going to try it.

I saw this on FB and tried it yesterday. It makes them really crispy!
waffle-iron-hash-browns-2.jpg

waffle-iron-hash-browns-3.jpg

Spray a hot waffle iron generously with nonstick cooking spray.
Place tater tots on top of the hot waffle iron. Press the waffle iron closed, using a bit of pressure as needed to slowly lower the lid over the tater tots. After 1 minute, open the waffle iron and add any tater tots to empty spots, as needed. Close the lid and cook until crispy and golden brown.

nice design, of course they are these in reality.
I wonder if I put two of these (pictured) in a waffle iron? Sorry, I bought some 100% potato only- no additives- locally made at a grocery auction (don't ask!) I have never bought them before, they are not the mcdee's type, they are larger and fresh potatoes. I was guilted into buying them...
cry_smile.gif

nice design, of course they are these in reality.
I wonder if I put two of these (pictured) in a waffle iron? Sorry, I bought some 100% potato only- no additives- locally made at a grocery auction (don't ask!) I have never bought them before, they are not the mcdee's type, they are larger and fresh potatoes. I was guilted into buying them...
cry_smile.gif
I bet they would work just as well. You may not get as much indentation since they're not as thick at tots.
DH went out and bought tots just to try this recipe.

Place tater tots on top of the hot waffle iron. Press the waffle iron closed, using a bit of pressure as needed to slowly lower the lid over the tater tots. After 1 minute, open the waffle iron and add any tater tots to empty spots, as needed. Close the lid and cook until crispy and golden brown..
OMG! Tater tots! Topped with a fried egg and cheese. THIS I can sell! SOLD!

That's all the convincing I need for resurrecting my waffle iron. "Eggs on Top" is a favorite around here - the combination of ingredients is endless. It's especially yummy with fresh avocado and crispy bacon.

That's all the convincing I need for resurrecting my waffle iron. "Eggs on Top" is a favorite around here - the combination of ingredients is endless. It's especially yummy with fresh avocado and crispy bacon..
Sanctuary said:
That's all the convincing I need for resurrecting my waffle iron. "Eggs on Top" is a favorite around here - the combination of ingredients is endless. It's especially yummy with fresh avocado and crispy bacon.
That is another great innkeeper tshirt Sanctuary
"Resurrect the Waffle Iron!"

Place tater tots on top of the hot waffle iron. Press the waffle iron closed, using a bit of pressure as needed to slowly lower the lid over the tater tots. After 1 minute, open the waffle iron and add any tater tots to empty spots, as needed. Close the lid and cook until crispy and golden brown..
That looks much easier than doing them from scratch....I'm there!

That's all the convincing I need for resurrecting my waffle iron. "Eggs on Top" is a favorite around here - the combination of ingredients is endless. It's especially yummy with fresh avocado and crispy bacon..
Sanctuary said:
That is another great innkeeper tshirt Sanctuary
"Resurrect the Waffle Iron!"
Not exactly savory, but just saw bacon pecan waffle with maple bourbon syrup.......any takers?

Gives me ideas. We don't have tater tots around here... but anytime ingredients for what can be a nice natural product have the words "Natural Flavoring" I just wonder what they really tasted like before they added that to the mix.

OMG! Tater tots! Topped with a fried egg and cheese. THIS I can sell! SOLD!
It's a big hit on my FB page today. Feel free to share or create your own!
I just had a guest post that they hope I'm doing this during their stay this weekend.

Sanctuary said:
I've got a bunch of avocados...thanks for the idea!

Sanctuary said:
Avocados are easy.... English muffin, sliced avocados, sunny side up egg, a little soy sauce and black pepper and done!

Sanctuary said:
Avocados are easy.... English muffin, sliced avocados, sunny side up egg, a little soy sauce and black pepper and done!
Sugar Bear said:
Yes, but I usually hoard them for myself.
devil_smile.gif

I'm doing the tot hash browns right now. I'll let you know how it goes over!
It got rave reviews and not a single crumb of anything was left.
tot%20entree%20%281024x765%29.jpg

Breakfast was Greek yogurt parfait with fresh blackberries & blueberries, tot waffle with fried egg, bacon and avocado and chocolate croissants
Breakfast%20Tray%20%281024x765%29.jpg

I'm doing the tot hash browns right now. I'll let you know how it goes over!
It got rave reviews and not a single crumb of anything was left.
tot%20entree%20%281024x765%29.jpg

Breakfast was Greek yogurt parfait with fresh blackberries & blueberries, tot waffle with fried egg, bacon and avocado and chocolate croissants
Breakfast%20Tray%20%281024x765%29.jpg
Tots are defrosted completely??? Waffler is on what setting? Low, high??? It's not working here in the test kitchen!

Back