Savory/sweet toasted nut recipe?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Anyone have a good, easy recipe for toasted nuts? I saw the neatest idea on a decorating show the other day but they didn't provide a recipe. The recipe could be sweet or spicy. I don't want 'clusters.'

Here's a simple one to try:
Sour cream coated walnuts
11/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
16 ounces walnuts
In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and sour cream. Cook 5 minutes over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and nuts until coated. Pour out on wax paper to cool.
Or one that takes a bit more work:
1 pound walnut halves
1 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spread nuts in a single layer over a baking sheet. Roast for approximately 8 to 10 minutes, or until the nuts start to turn brown and the smell of roasting nuts fills the kitchen.
Stir together sugar, cinnamon, salt, and milk in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat for 8 minutes, or until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage of 236 degrees F (113 degrees C). Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla immediately. .
Add walnuts to sugar syrup, and stir to coat well. Spoon nuts onto waxed paper, and immediately separate nuts with a fork. Cool, and store in airtight containers.

I love roasted almonds - roast in a 350 oven for 20 minutes, toss with a little peanut oil and then a little kosher salt. Add some crushed rosemary or red pepper flakes to make them more unique, and serve them warm. Once they cool down all the good stuff falls off!

Here's a simple one to try:
Sour cream coated walnuts
11/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
16 ounces walnuts
In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and sour cream. Cook 5 minutes over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and nuts until coated. Pour out on wax paper to cool.
Or one that takes a bit more work:
1 pound walnut halves
1 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spread nuts in a single layer over a baking sheet. Roast for approximately 8 to 10 minutes, or until the nuts start to turn brown and the smell of roasting nuts fills the kitchen.
Stir together sugar, cinnamon, salt, and milk in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat for 8 minutes, or until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage of 236 degrees F (113 degrees C). Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla immediately. .
Add walnuts to sugar syrup, and stir to coat well. Spoon nuts onto waxed paper, and immediately separate nuts with a fork. Cool, and store in airtight containers..
I make this same recipe with one alteration: 1 tsp cinnamon (instead of 2) and 1 teaspoon cayenne. Gives it a nice kick.

Here's one of my favorites:
1 1/2 cups raw almonds
1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
1 cup raw hazelnuts
1 cup raw pecan halves
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried):
oregano leaves
thyme
rosemary leaves
savory leaves
marjoram
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher flake salt
1. Mix nuts with herbs, syrup and oil. Spread in a 1/2 sheet pan and sprinkle with the salt.
2. Bake in a 300 degree oven stirring occasionally, until the liquid evaporates, and the flesh of the nuts is golden (about 45 minutes).

1 1/2 cups raw almonds
1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
1 cup raw hazelnuts
1 cup raw pecan halves
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
oregano leaves
thyme
rosemary leaves
savory leaves
marjoram
3 tablespoons olive oil
1. Mix nuts with herbs, syrup and oil. Spread in a 1/2 sheet pan and sprinkle with the salt.
2. Bake in a 300 degree oven stirring occasionally, until the liquid evaporates, and the flesh of the nuts is golden (about 45 minutes)..
That combination sounds divine. I'm trying it tomorrow!

1 1/2 cups raw almonds
1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
1 cup raw hazelnuts
1 cup raw pecan halves
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
oregano leaves
thyme
rosemary leaves
savory leaves
marjoram
3 tablespoons olive oil
2. Bake in a 300 degree oven stirring occasionally, until the liquid evaporates, and the flesh of the nuts is golden (about 45 minutes)..
I wouldn't use raw any kind of nuts, so do I just reduce the time?

1 1/2 cups raw almonds
1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
1 cup raw hazelnuts
1 cup raw pecan halves
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
oregano leaves
thyme
rosemary leaves
savory leaves
marjoram
3 tablespoons olive oil
Aren't most nuts raw??? I didn't think many were roasted before hand unless specifically stated on the package. Walnuts are not roasted.

1 1/2 cups raw almonds
1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
1 cup raw hazelnuts
1 cup raw pecan halves
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
oregano leaves
thyme
rosemary leaves
savory leaves
marjoram
3 tablespoons olive oil
Aren't most nuts raw??? I didn't think many were roasted before hand unless specifically stated on the package. Walnuts are not roasted.
I'd be getting them in a can...most of those say 'roasted' on them.

1 1/2 cups raw almonds
1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
1 cup raw hazelnuts
1 cup raw pecan halves
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
oregano leaves
thyme
rosemary leaves
savory leaves
marjoram
3 tablespoons olive oil
I would reduce the time. Cocktail nuts tend to be heavily salted as well. I would omit the salt from the recipe or salt to taste once they come out of the oven.

1 1/2 cups raw almonds
1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
1 cup raw hazelnuts
1 cup raw pecan halves
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
oregano leaves
thyme
rosemary leaves
savory leaves
marjoram
3 tablespoons olive oil
I would reduce the time. Cocktail nuts tend to be heavily salted as well. I would omit the salt from the recipe or salt to taste once they come out of the oven.
tedwin said:
That's what I thought. Salt is probably my family's one bad habit. We don't put it on our foods anymore, but we all crave it and nuts are the salvation of choice!

1 1/2 cups raw almonds
1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
1 cup raw hazelnuts
1 cup raw pecan halves
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
oregano leaves
thyme
rosemary leaves
savory leaves
marjoram
3 tablespoons olive oil
tedwin said:
That's what I thought. Salt is probably my family's one bad habit. We don't put it on our foods anymore, but we all crave it and nuts are the salvation of choice!
Sodium is trying us crazy. We never salt anything and haven't for years. Last night we grilled some pork chops. I looked at my husband and said "what did you do to these?" Nothing he replied just put them in the pan. We looked a the label...injected with a 15% brine solution to tenderize!!! WHAT!!!!! I had no idea they were doing this to pork chops...now I am going to have to start reading the fine print even on what I thought was just plain meat!!!!! GRRRRR. Another reason to go vegetarian I guess :-(

1 1/2 cups raw almonds
1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
1 cup raw hazelnuts
1 cup raw pecan halves
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
oregano leaves
thyme
rosemary leaves
savory leaves
marjoram
3 tablespoons olive oil
tedwin said:
Sodium is trying us crazy. We never salt anything and haven't for years. Last night we grilled some pork chops. I looked at my husband and said "what did you do to these?" Nothing he replied just put them in the pan. We looked a the label...injected with a 15% brine solution to tenderize!!! WHAT!!!!! I had no idea they were doing this to pork chops...now I am going to have to start reading the fine print even on what I thought was just plain meat!!!!! GRRRRR. Another reason to go vegetarian I guess :-(
Oh yeah, that bothers me quite a lot because it's not really for tenderizing, it's to raise the price with water. I am very careful to move along when I see lots of fine print on the meat labels. And I've taken to going to the winter farmers market for meats.

1 1/2 cups raw almonds
1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
1 cup raw hazelnuts
1 cup raw pecan halves
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
oregano leaves
thyme
rosemary leaves
savory leaves
marjoram
3 tablespoons olive oil
tedwin said:
Oh yeah, that bothers me quite a lot because it's not really for tenderizing, it's to raise the price with water. I am very careful to move along when I see lots of fine print on the meat labels. And I've taken to going to the winter farmers market for meats.
Yeah, I believe it. Add salt and water and charge more... It's bad enough that they sell bottles of water.

Back