Scam Alert - TV show about your B&B?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got that email quite awhile ago. So I looked it up. Apparently Hugh Downs DOES do these infomercials and other destination style documentaries. I didn't respond because it sounded too odd.

You're right - the link says they do come and do filming, for the tune of $20,000 to $30,000 (your dime). Then the distribution of the films is very questionable. They sound like they are doing it for PBS or a major network, but it never really gets there. Like me submitting a press release on our May Day activities to the New York Times - it never does anything for you.
This NYTimes article talks about it in more detail.

You're right - the link says they do come and do filming, for the tune of $20,000 to $30,000 (your dime). Then the distribution of the films is very questionable. They sound like they are doing it for PBS or a major network, but it never really gets there. Like me submitting a press release on our May Day activities to the New York Times - it never does anything for you.
This NYTimes article talks about it in more detail..
Ah, I didn't get any other info because I dumped the email.

Now they are calling. Received a call this morning - caller ID says "media associate" but did not look before answering as I was expecting a call. Guy starts off asking if you remember Hugh Downs and says he is doing a series of travel documentaries for Public network TV and was in the beginning states of selecting B&B's to be featured.. I knew from reading this forum and another as well as seeing a ad on google that this was about $$.
First asked what was unique of special about our B&B. I went ahead to answer my quick response then he asked how we marketed. So I asked if there was a charge to be featured...and stated if this documentary is being done honestly, then there should be NO charge as viewers would not know that this is a infomercial not a real documentary. And I have no interest in being part of it.
I am not sure if it is a scam (have not researched it) - take you money but no product or viewing, but I am sad that Hugh Downs' name is being used (whethering knowingly or not).
I did a quick search for his name and found this article on the first page -
www.prlog.org/10218402-travel-report-hugh-downs-tiny-hotel-rooms-offer-inexpensive-travel-option.html

Now they are calling. Received a call this morning - caller ID says "media associate" but did not look before answering as I was expecting a call. Guy starts off asking if you remember Hugh Downs and says he is doing a series of travel documentaries for Public network TV and was in the beginning states of selecting B&B's to be featured.. I knew from reading this forum and another as well as seeing a ad on google that this was about $$.
First asked what was unique of special about our B&B. I went ahead to answer my quick response then he asked how we marketed. So I asked if there was a charge to be featured...and stated if this documentary is being done honestly, then there should be NO charge as viewers would not know that this is a infomercial not a real documentary. And I have no interest in being part of it.
I am not sure if it is a scam (have not researched it) - take you money but no product or viewing, but I am sad that Hugh Downs' name is being used (whethering knowingly or not).
I did a quick search for his name and found this article on the first page -
www.prlog.org/10218402-travel-report-hugh-downs-tiny-hotel-rooms-offer-inexpensive-travel-option.html.
I took a peek- they are a PUBLIC DOCUMENTARY TELEVISION SERIES. Yeah- me too!

hugh downs ... great voice ... from a google search i read he has been paid to lend that voice to infommercials for other products. not saying it's a bad or a good thing. heck, he needs an income. but you hear his voice and see that face and you think 20/20 news type stuff. i haven't seen the show in question.
even so .... the thing about these phone calls is they are pretending to be involved with the hugh downs program and they are NOT.

Back