Scam Alert

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee2014

Reaction score
We just got a call today from a lady said she was from Gateway Connection and she said that we owed them $649. Claimed that the owner (93 year old who doesn't speak on the phone) signed up for a free year (2015) and now we owe for the following year (2016). And do we want to renew (another $649)? Offered us a rebate if we paid by credit card over the phone now. When we refused she hinted that she had the power to keep us from showing up as a B&B in MyTown on Go ogle, B ing, and Yah oo.

Why are you telling them that they can reach you by telephone?
When they call me I always say that this is a reservation only desk actually located in another place. If they ask me for the direct number, I tell them that I'm not allowed, this call is recorded and that I could be fired for giving it to them. That usually ends in a click. If it doesn't, I tell them to email via the website.

I want that superpower! I'd make all of us tops on all those search engines.

When they call me I always say that this is a reservation only desk actually located in another place. If they ask me for the direct number, I tell them that I'm not allowed, this call is recorded and that I could be fired for giving it to them. That usually ends in a click. If it doesn't, I tell them to email via the website..
Yahoo! Generic is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Life's been boring around here without you.
Why are you telling them that they can reach you by telephone? Because you weren't there to tell me not to!
cry_smile.gif
Looking back on phone history they called four times before we were out of bed so when another call came through from the same area code from a children org so we didn't pick up. The fifth time the person left a message. It was a lady wanting to rent the place for a family reunion that my other aunt had told us that she gave them our number.

When they call me I always say that this is a reservation only desk actually located in another place. If they ask me for the direct number, I tell them that I'm not allowed, this call is recorded and that I could be fired for giving it to them. That usually ends in a click. If it doesn't, I tell them to email via the website..
How did the operation go? Been thinking of you. DH is up and about pretty good after 2 months. Hope it all worked out for you.

I get these. I get one regularly once a year claiming that I paid them to get me on goo gle maps and hinting if I don't pay their latest invoice I'll disappear.

Here's a new one I got today. I registered a new domain Sunday in order to create a website for my sister's new event center/wedding venue, and today I got this, saying if I don't pay them to register the domain before their deadline, I'll pay a penalty or won't be listed on search engines like Google.

Hi there Arks,
Domain Name: newvenue.whatever (Account #66107563)
This email is being sent out to you because search registration for newvenue.whatever is pending.
Please register these domains to search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo ASAP to avoid late fees.
Registering for search engines would help you show up in search results and increase your online presence.
You can register your domain at link given below :
http://a long URL ending in my name
We sincerely appreciate your business! If you require anything, we are at your service.
Remember... If you do not register your domain with the search engines, it may not appear in the search engine listing when people are looking for you. Failure to complete your domain name search engine registration by the expiration date may make it difficult for your customers to locate you on the web.
Complete your search engine registration today.
Sincerely,
Search Register
110 Middle Road,
#07-03A Chiet Hong Building,
Singapore 188958.

Here's a new one I got today. I registered a new domain Sunday in order to create a website for my sister's new event center/wedding venue, and today I got this, saying if I don't pay them to register the domain before their deadline, I'll pay a penalty or won't be listed on search engines like Google.

Hi there Arks,
This email is being sent out to you because search registration for newvenue.whatever is pending.
Please register these domains to search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo ASAP to avoid late fees.
Registering for search engines would help you show up in search results and increase your online presence.
We sincerely appreciate your business! If you require anything, we are at your service.
Remember... If you do not register your domain with the search engines, it may not appear in the search engine listing when people are looking for you. Failure to complete your domain name search engine registration by the expiration date may make it difficult for your customers to locate you on the web.
Sincerely,
Search Register
110 Middle Road,
Singapore 188958..
I wonder if every new registration gets this or if they're targeting a certain area or registrant.

Hi there Arks,
Sincerely,
Search Register
110 Middle Road,
Singapore 188958..
I wonder if every new registration gets this or if they're targeting a certain area or registrant.
Morticia said:
I'll bet it's easy for them to track every new registration through ICANN, so why not. There a few* clueless people out there who will send them money.

Hi there Arks,
Sincerely,
Search Register
110 Middle Road,
Singapore 188958..
And they even sign Singapore!! How dumb do they think we are? Anyone can view domain registration

Hi there Arks,
Sincerely,
Search Register
110 Middle Road,
Singapore 188958..
And they even sign Singapore!! How dumb do they think we are? Anyone can view domain registration
EmptyNest said:
5 'normal' people in the whole world know anyone can view domain registration. We here are not normal.

I never pay for the "domain privacy" thing when i register a domain, but spam like this always makes it tempting.

Another funny one just arrived. The email came from...
Federal Government <[email protected]>
...and says a woman has applied for funds from my bank account, and if I don't contact them to the contrary, they will give her the funds soon.
The email is signed...
Best regards,
Mr. Alexandra Harris.

UPDATE! So I routinely check our place online for placement on my own personal computer which isn't link to the business, etc. (But it uses the same internet source) We are usually first on the page one after ads. Today nowhere on the first three pages on my Google search. Hmm…. So I checked Yahoo and Bing and our website was right where it always is. Ok. Try Google again. Nowhere. So I pick up the phone and turn off the internet connection. Then I search our place again using our phone company's 4G and there we are on the first page right after the paid ads. Okay. I get off the web and turn the wifi back on the phone and search. Our website is nowhere to be seen. So sneaky! Don't fall for their scams! Gateway Connection. Lady's name is Linda Abbots.
You have my permission to post this on other innkeepers forums.

I can't find you, either, unless I put in the inn name. Not sure what to tell you. Unless she filed some sort of complaint, which you might want to check on in your Google account.

I can't find you, either, unless I put in the inn name. Not sure what to tell you. Unless she filed some sort of complaint, which you might want to check on in your Google account..
Thank you for the information! Will look into it. Meanwhile reservations keep flowing in so…. her plan isn't working.

I can't find you, either, unless I put in the inn name. Not sure what to tell you. Unless she filed some sort of complaint, which you might want to check on in your Google account..
Thank you for the information! Will look into it. Meanwhile reservations keep flowing in so…. her plan isn't working.
Lee2014 said:
Your website needs some serious work. All the page names come up as 'mysite'. That all needs to be fixed. It didn't seem to be responsive, either. That may be the problem. Google is punishing your page.
It took me a long time today to even get your site to show up searching by name and city. I kept getting someplace in China and another place on the Cape with similar names.

Lee2014 said:
Your website needs some serious work. All the page names come up as 'mysite'. That all needs to be fixed. It didn't seem to be responsive, either. That may be the problem. Google is punishing your page.
It took me a long time today to even get your site to show up searching by name and city. I kept getting someplace in China and another place on the Cape with similar names.
Morticia said:
All the page names come up as 'mysite'.
Ah, on the browser tabs. Took me a minute to realize what you meant. Yes, tabs say mysite | Location, mysite | About Us, etc. No doubt there's a box somewhere in the theme setup to enter the inn name.Yes, time for a new, responsive theme. Needs to work well on a phone like other modern sites.

Lee2014 said:
Morticia said:
All the page names come up as 'mysite'.
Ah, on the browser tabs. Took me a minute to realize what you meant. Yes, tabs say mysite | Location, mysite | About Us, etc. No doubt there's a box somewhere in the theme setup to enter the inn name.Yes, time for a new, responsive theme. Needs to work well on a phone like other modern sites.
Yes, sorry. It was late, I was tired! The page names that show on the browser tabs.

Lee2014 said:
Rats! Those other places are probably glad since we have hogged the top spots for years and years…. add UK and Africa to the list. When people book and ask how far we are from (an England's destination), we tell them that first we are a mile from the ocean, then sail across that ocean…. how about trying this place? (followed by the UK Same name inn website) That is usually followed by us refunding their money… Happens about five to ten times a year. I'll have to tell my aunt about this since she does the website stuff.

Back