Scam or not New to me

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
Ok I am pretty good at spotting a scam. I just dump the e-mail. Today I got a request via my webervation for 2 weeks. He says he is coming on buisness no breakfast and wants to pay cash. This is all red flag for scam but because it is on my webervations I am not sure. I might e-mail and ask what company he will be working with. Has anyone had this happen. I am just not sure about this one. Thanks

I would tell him he can pay cash upon arrival. I would also tell him for security reasons you would need to have a credit card on file. He also needs to pay a deposit up front. If he is a business man, I would think he would travel a lot. This process would not be new to him. If he foes not agree, them tell him best of luck!

Does he not have to enter a cc # on webervations to make the reservation? If not, google the phone number and/or email he gave to you for scam notices associated with it. Then call and get a cc # for 'business purposes' and say he may pay by cash when he arrives. Then run the card to see if it goes thru. You can void the transaction right after so it never shows up on his statement.
THEN re-run it the week of arrival to be sure it is STILL good!

Tell him you need a credit card number to guarantee the reservation (at the very least), that a FULL RESERVATION charge will be posted in case of late cancel or no-show. THAT is not unreasonable on your part - and it he really IS a businessman, he should understand business.

Does he not have to enter a cc # on webervations to make the reservation? If not, google the phone number and/or email he gave to you for scam notices associated with it. Then call and get a cc # for 'business purposes' and say he may pay by cash when he arrives. Then run the card to see if it goes thru. You can void the transaction right after so it never shows up on his statement.
THEN re-run it the week of arrival to be sure it is STILL good!.
He gave a cc number. I will run it later today to see if it is good. I will tell him I will run half so if he is a no show. I hope this is not a scam. It is funny he booked on line with a cc number if it was a scam. Oh well we will see.

What email address did he give? Did you google him? I would do those first. A cc is required of course, 2 weeks on business no breakfast sounds real to me. Paying cash, not amex does not sound real to me.

What email address did he give? Did you google him? I would do those first. A cc is required of course, 2 weeks on business no breakfast sounds real to me. Paying cash, not amex does not sound real to me..
Joey Bloggs said:
What email address did he give? Did you google him? I would do those first. A cc is required of course, 2 weeks on business no breakfast sounds real to me. Paying cash, not amex does not sound real to me.
Never had a scam use our booking system, always an email. Agree with JB here. Business & cash do not compute! It may be that he feels he may not stay the entire 2 weeks, so does not want to commit to it via a CC charge. Make sure you provide him with your policies on early departure too. When I have a business guest book or ask about a long stay I have them commit to a certain time frame, which they are responsible for even if they check out earlier. Many business guests are use to the flexability the hotels give regarding early departure and think we all have the same type of policies.

What email address did he give? Did you google him? I would do those first. A cc is required of course, 2 weeks on business no breakfast sounds real to me. Paying cash, not amex does not sound real to me..
He seems real. I did google him. He left phone number and said if I had any concerns let him know. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Back