Scam, Scam, Scam

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
Scammer said:
[tr]Hola,
I am Mr. Mikel Lukas (Esq) from Madrid, Spain . I will like to make a LAST MINUTE reservation in your hotel, fully pre-paid via credit for 4 persons that will be on vacation in your area starting 18th Sept to 2nd Oct, 2008 (14 days flexible in Sept or Oct, 2008 ).
If you can accomodate them, kindly advise on the following points:
1. Provide the total cost for the whole period for 2 double rooms for 14 nights for 4 guests. This must include all charges.
2. I will need my credit card to be processed immediately and receipts for all payments sent to me via email attachment or fax.
3. Please advise if you can make payments to a third party on my behalf as it will facilitate the speedy conclusion of this transaction.
4. In the event that you do not have availability for those dates, please choose next available two weeks in Sept or Oct.
5. All price quotes should be in U.S Dollars or EUROS.
Like I mentioned above, preferable payment method will be direct by credit card. Thank you and looking forward to hearing from soon.
Kind Regards,
Mikel Lukas (Esq)
Lukas Associate Chambers
Avda. Del Valle 64 28003 Madrid , Spain
Tel: +34 626 606 929
Fax:+34 911 014 917
[/td][/tr][/table]
Nothing quite screams "scam" like "make payments to a third party on my behalf."
Maybe he's new at this... but because of my thorough education at the feet of the Wise Ones, I'm NOT!
=)
Kk.

I got emails like this approx. 5 times. don't understand why these people (sickos) do this. Usually come from other countries.
I answer their questions, and never hear from them again.

I got emails like this approx. 5 times. don't understand why these people (sickos) do this. Usually come from other countries.
I answer their questions, and never hear from them again..
You should NEVER even reply. This way they know they have your correct email address and will sell it to many other spammers:-( JUST DELETE

They do it because if they send it to a few thousand innkeepers, one of them will be dumb enough to take them up on it., RUn the card process the reservation...process the cancellation and credit them with a check or some such variation on the scam.
Catlady is right, don't respond.

I just gotten another one too....10 students for only 6 days, but 5 rooms..it adds up....wouldn't have the room if I wanted to...He claimed to be a Professor of some University in England, but had a yahoo email...duhhhh
confused_smile.gif

I did what others in this forum told me before....just delete. If they found your email, they found your site....check there

trishany said:
I answer their questions, and never hear from them again.
Because someone will bite. They always do. Send out 1000 emails, they will get one bite = $$

One of the funnier scam emails I have received, just came in.
spam scammer said:
To whom it my concern,
Hi am Mr. Arlin Le. Roy Schneider,
I am a citizen of the united state of amreica I want to make a reservation for 4 people coming to your country with the below details get back to me now with the total cost in USD.
Room Type- 2 Single Rooms and 2 Double Room
Check in- 24th/Febuary/2009

Check out-2th/March/2009

Name of Guests- The Smith's Family Number of Guests- 4 and they are all adults

Get back to me now with the total cost so that i can send you my credit card details for you to charge for the full amount of the reservation.

Regards
Mr. Arlin Le. Roy Schneider
Bolded to emphasize the funny parts. Too funny.

Edited to remove stupid comment because I didn't read the date of the original post...

the united state of amreica
is a different place from the united states of america
surely you took the rez? haha!
wink_smile.gif

A month or two ago at church I was at a seminar... one of the guys there lost $600 to a overseas scammer.
I feel sorry for him losing his money, and sad that he couldn't see it for the scam it was, and sad that he fell victim to his own greed.
=/
Kk.

This has been around for a while, however some come across in very good English so difficult to determine. If you are not sure then reply and tell them that a secure booking can be made on your website and to call should they need any addtl info.

This has been around for a while, however some come across in very good English so difficult to determine. If you are not sure then reply and tell them that a secure booking can be made on your website and to call should they need any addtl info..
WRONG!!! NEVER REPLY...that will only get you more scam emails..>DELETE DELETE DELETE

This has been around for a while, however some come across in very good English so difficult to determine. If you are not sure then reply and tell them that a secure booking can be made on your website and to call should they need any addtl info..
WRONG!!! NEVER REPLY...that will only get you more scam emails..>DELETE DELETE DELETE
I've have several of theses scam emails myself over the past few years. However, this summer I received an email from someone in Italy looking for accommodation for "clients". I thought that it was a scam email but wanted some fun so I emailed back the details.
Was I ever surprised that it was legit! It was an Italian travel agency doing a booking for their "clients". It was pre-paid with the travel agency credit card - I was faxed copies of ID, the cc, etc. and given the guests ID. I was a bit nervous processing the cc but it went through fine and a few weeks later the guests showed up (I asked for and copied THEIR IDs). The charges on the card were exactly the costs of the room.
It had all the looks of a scam to me but turned out well. Most of the scams will ask you to put through more than the actual costs of the room and refund the difference by way of wire transfer back.

I've have several of theses scam emails myself over the past few years. However, this summer I received an email from someone in Italy looking for accommodation for "clients". I thought that it was a scam email but wanted some fun so I emailed back the details.
Was I ever surprised that it was legit! It was an Italian travel agency doing a booking for their "clients". It was pre-paid with the travel agency credit card - I was faxed copies of ID, the cc, etc. and given the guests ID. I was a bit nervous processing the cc but it went through fine and a few weeks later the guests showed up (I asked for and copied THEIR IDs). The charges on the card were exactly the costs of the room.
It had all the looks of a scam to me but turned out well. Most of the scams will ask you to put through more than the actual costs of the room and refund the difference by way of wire transfer back.
You were fortunuate and one of the lucky ones. Most are what they seem...scams!

Another scam...hubs answered the phone (you all know where this is going...) and was asked to do a survey. He agreed and they said they would email it to him. It came and was dumped into the spam folder immediately. Made me suspicious. Usually my spam filter is generous with what gets thru.
I clicked the link to see what the survey was asking but it's one of those you have to go page by page. I clicked to select one answer to see what the next question would be. I got a message that said, 'Thanks for participating, we do not need any more data from your area.' End of survey. What? Then I notice the harddrive light is going so I click on 'Task Mgr' and some program is running that has a 'senddata' file name.
I unplugged the internet connection and am now running a virus scan.
The survey is about health insurance for small businesses and they do call you in advance. Just be wary.
Yes, I know, don't click the link in emails, but we were expecting this email. Just not expecting a data gathering background snoop.

The main thing is WE ALL HAVE ONLINE RESERVATIONS, so if they are asking a question - like what type of shower, that is one thing, "GET BACK TO ME" with the cist is a scam every single time. Prices are there, avilability is there and guess what it works from all over the world!

ah yes but I do use a very anonymous email address, not one of my regular ones .. and although I know they could send to that one again, the jumble of letters and numbers tends to dissuade them.

Back