Scam - this is what to look for...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbinnsitters

Reaction score
I just rec'd the following in my spam folder - thought I'd share it with those who don't really know a scam from a real reservation request. I don't even have a B&B and I get these! My rule of thumb is if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is a scam!
Good day,
Greetings to you i am Mr. Lewis Bernard, Please I want to make a reservation in your facility for Six (6) newly ordained priest from Greece they will be visiting your country for a seven (7) days religious program in the month of March 2009.
Arrival Date:28th febuaray.2009
Departure Date:7th March.2009
Number of guest:6
Number of rooms:3
Kindly confirm availability and get back to me with the cost, so that we can
pay a deposit for the rooms to be reserved for them, am waiting for your
swift response.
Regards
Mr. Lewis Bernard

Yeah, this one has been going around for several weeks, and i think we even joked about it on another thread....but when I search, I can't find it.

Yeah, this one has been going around for several weeks, and i think we even joked about it on another thread....but when I search, I can't find it..
Weeks..how about years!!! Yes this is the sort of thing anyone with good common sense would IMMEDIATELY DELETE and NEVER RESPOND!!!

Speaking of scams...had guests at breakfast tell me of their eBay scam. It was the same old same old - a guy from the UK bought their old beater lincoln continental and sent a money order for the car plus shipping...you know the rest of the story. I think the guests were shocked when I KNEW the rest of the story. I told them we get hit with those spam emails daily.
We are an enlightened bunch.

Speaking of scams...had guests at breakfast tell me of their eBay scam. It was the same old same old - a guy from the UK bought their old beater lincoln continental and sent a money order for the car plus shipping...you know the rest of the story. I think the guests were shocked when I KNEW the rest of the story. I told them we get hit with those spam emails daily.
We are an enlightened bunch..
Enlightened indeed.
I actually had a friend - an artist who clearly was not up on these things - who was going to buy a car from one of those.
When she saw my jaw drop as she was telling me about the wonderful deal and the man being out of the country and blah blah blah, she still didn't get it.
When I told her it was a scam, she was shocked, just shocked.
And so was I that there really was anyone out there who fell for that stuff.
But they do. Every day. Otherwise the scammers would stop.

I got one last week from a man looking to book for his daughter and nanny for a hunting trip.
Uh huh, sure.
As far as falling for it, yes, I know a man at church who lost money to one of the scams where they say they will transfer money.
=)
Kk.

Scams come in all forms...this one is also quite humorous (see bold). Use common sence when reading these and do not respond.
Dear Reservation Desk,

My name is Brian,am willing to book a reservation for my
daughter and my maid for just 5days,She is called for an hunting
programme in your location s
o I will need a B & B for the following
period and the availability rate.
List room type and availability rate:
Room Check in:11/12/2009
Check out:11/17/2009
Kindly confirm if you have room available for that period of time and
also can you confirm if you accept visa and master credit card for
payments for the accommodation.