Scam???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
email said:
Bookings Manager,

Four of us (2 couples) intend to visit for 3-4 weeks next year, and you were recommended to us by some friends.
Could you please post us a copy of your brochure, and details of your services and charges.
But please do not send your reply by email – we have no private email, and do not want to tell our staff about this trip yet, they think we work 365 days a year.
Would you please post your reply to

Name
PO Box
Town
VIC. xxxx
AUSTRALIA

What do you think?

=)
Kk.

Does not sound like a scam to me... They just want brochures mailed, they aren't asking you to run CC's or anything...

I agree sounds odd, but not like any current scam. Though it could be just a hook to get you committed/drop your guard. So if you send a brochure, at least keep your suspicions up when dealing with any follow-up.

DO NOT MAIL brochures to Australia, go to post office and have to stand in line, it is a SCAM loud and clear. They can SEE your website. They would NEVER be so rude and ignorant as to ask for you to mail something, no way no how.
3 to 4 weeks, bollucks!

Well... I don't have a brochure to send, anyway.
And dh says, "Do we really want someone here that's so dense they can't get that information from our website?"
He thinks it's a scam...
I'm still not sure, but I don't have much to send beyond a business card.
If it's NOT a scam, I'd love to know who recommended us...
=)
Kk.

We just looked up the email address (guy's name @ chariot.com.au)... they are an ISP in Australia. An employee of an ISP who doesn't have their own email? Right. : sarcasm :
An employee of an ISP who can't find all our pertinent information on our website? (Including availability?) Right.
rolleyes.gif

=)
Kk.

We just looked up the email address (guy's name @ chariot.com.au)... they are an ISP in Australia. An employee of an ISP who doesn't have their own email? Right. : sarcasm :
An employee of an ISP who can't find all our pertinent information on our website? (Including availability?) Right.
rolleyes.gif

=)
Kk..
I think I may have mentioned this website before, but Rapleaf.com - you can look up people by their email account. Not everyone is listed but sometimes you can get more info on people by their email address.

rolleyes.gif

=)
Kk..
I think I may have mentioned this website before, but Rapleaf.com - you can look up people by their email account. Not everyone is listed but sometimes you can get more info on people by their email address.
greyswan said:
Well, I went there just now and I'd have to join... not sure I'm that curious. If you want to look it up for me the guy's name is edgee and the rest is above.
=)
Kk.

We have had many requests for for brochures to be mailed, sent one this week for a guy who lives an hour from here, and even innkeepers have asked us to mail brochures. It's not always a scam, yes, they can get all the info on the website, but some people still like to touch and feel and see paper...

Well... I don't have a brochure to send, anyway.
And dh says, "Do we really want someone here that's so dense they can't get that information from our website?"
He thinks it's a scam...
I'm still not sure, but I don't have much to send beyond a business card.
If it's NOT a scam, I'd love to know who recommended us...
=)
Kk..
And do you want someone that dense staying with you for 3-4 weeks??? That is the biggie. Even with guests I truly like, sometimes I'm content to see the leave after 5 days ;)
Someobody staying for longer than that and I haven't met them before...I'd shy away from it even if I was certain it was legit.

rolleyes.gif

=)
Kk..
greyswan said:
Well, I went there just now and I'd have to join... not sure I'm that curious. If you want to look it up for me the guy's name is edgee and the rest is above.
=)
Kk.
well, so much for rapleaf... they've changed they site and have made it much more restrictive. Oh, well!!

I have had a similar email, used the same statment about keeping the trip a secret from the staff that I remember so well. It is a SCAM.

OK, it's a scam.
Now I'm wondering how such a scam works....
Oh well, better not to find out, I guess.
=)
Kk.

If scammers would put the same kind of energy into something positive, just think what great things they could do. We're not wired that way (of the scammers) and when I hear how the scams work I scratch my head and think... what? and then why? Sad little minds.

OK, it's a scam.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
OK, it's a scam.
=)
Kk.
The scam works like any other virus or spam, it is there to simply bug the heck out of you, waste your time and expense. It is not necessarily one to take YOUR money.
Australians do not travel abroad to sit in one place for 3 or 4 weeks, I can guarantee that. Just like all of our overseas guests here, two nights is max in one spot. Would you go to Australia to "a town" and spend 3 or 4 weeks just there? Very unlikely.

OK, it's a scam.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
OK, it's a scam.
=)
Kk.
The scam works like any other virus or spam, it is there to simply bug the heck out of you, waste your time and expense. It is not necessarily one to take YOUR money.
Australians do not travel abroad to sit in one place for 3 or 4 weeks, I can guarantee that. Just like all of our overseas guests here, two nights is max in one spot. Would you go to Australia to "a town" and spend 3 or 4 weeks just there? Very unlikely.
The way they usually work is that they make the reservation, possibly even with a credit card, and then somewhere along the line you are going to receive a check. It'll be a cashier's check or bank check of some kind, it will be for more money than they owe you, and they will need you to send them a reimbursement for some reason, like they need to pay for a rental car. You will keep some of the money, 'for your trouble'. It may take a few weeks but the check will turn out to be fraudulent and you will be out whatever money you sent them.
That's the gist of most of the scams; there are always some variations but the most obvious signs of a scam are multiple rooms, long stays, reservation combos that don't make sense (like four honeymooning couples at the same time) and being sent from a charitable organization or ministry.

We have had many requests for for brochures to be mailed, sent one this week for a guy who lives an hour from here, and even innkeepers have asked us to mail brochures. It's not always a scam, yes, they can get all the info on the website, but some people still like to touch and feel and see paper....
Don't be so naive...there is legit request for brochures and then this kind of junk. When it sounds too good to be true..or something out there like 3-4 weeks in one place...it is obvious the scammers. DO NOT REPLY EITHER..this is what they want..so they can sell you to someone else who may trap you.

Back