Scammed

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I am truly and completely annoyed and I'm not sure who with!
I took a rez tonight and gave the person a $10 discount. She showed up a few hours later when I wasn't here and asked hubs for a discount. He gave her one, not realizing she had already gotten one. So now the guest has gotten 2 discounts on a one night stay. She claims she won't be eating breakfast and by golly she won't not after pulling that crap on us.
So, annoyed at myself for not making it very clear to hubs she had a discount? Annoyed at him for not reading the reg form before agreeing to discount? Annoyed at her for getting away with it? Just like a kid. Ask one parent, ask the other and sucker both of them. It's stupid to stress over this but I can't even sleep I am so wound up.

I would be ticked too. GRRrrrrrrrrr!!!!! And count the towels after she leaves!

Definitely refuse to feed her tomorrow for that stunt she pulled.

I had something like it happen before. Gave thema discount over the phone, then when they arrived they pulled out a $10.00 off coupon. I told them I would honor the $10.00 coupon but it also would void the $20.00 discount they received at time of booking. They put the coupon back...
I would just tell her that your hubby did not know you've already applied the discount and would need to straighten it out otherwise your accounting would be off...

I had something like it happen before. Gave thema discount over the phone, then when they arrived they pulled out a $10.00 off coupon. I told them I would honor the $10.00 coupon but it also would void the $20.00 discount they received at time of booking. They put the coupon back...
I would just tell her that your hubby did not know you've already applied the discount and would need to straighten it out otherwise your accounting would be off....
Mooseberry Inn said:
I would just tell her that your hubby did not know you've already applied the discount and would need to straighten it out otherwise your accounting would be off...
I agree. Bree, it's not like you want her to come back.

Maybe she was just reiterating the discount, Just give her the one you agreed to. I mean you can say "Here is your discount."

You might tell her that you only honor one discount per stay.

I am confused by this. Why are you scammed? You mean DH already ran the card and gave her the second $10 off? Isn't that an error on his part? Was she not just asking for the discount she told YOU about and since it was he, she mentioned it again? You don't print statements then I take it or he would have seen it on there?

I had a similar situation with a gift certificate recently - I extended the expiry for a month but the rate had gone up in a year, so the room that was booked was $15 more. I didn't write the additional amount on the check-in form, DH didn't charge her for it because he thought we were just doing it. When I told her the next day that she actually still owed us a bit (essentially the taxes) she pulled out the your husband didn't say anything and the person who gave me the gift certificate said it covered a specific room including tax and gratuity. Well, it says a dollar amount right on the gc, which did cover the room and tax - never a gratuity - 13 months ago when the certificate was bought, not now, and she was told this when she made the reservation. I let it go, in the interest of customer relations and gettting the gc off my books, but I was inordinately po'd at this guest. It's good that everything happened on their way out; otherwise I would have stewed all night. In the grand scheme of things $15 is not worth getting aggravated about. It's the violation of trust and integrity that makes you angry. Just keep telling yourself that karma puts that on them, not you
devil_smile.gif

I am confused by this. Why are you scammed? You mean DH already ran the card and gave her the second $10 off? Isn't that an error on his part? Was she not just asking for the discount she told YOU about and since it was he, she mentioned it again? You don't print statements then I take it or he would have seen it on there?.
He didn't look at the statement before he agreed to knock more off. At that point, too late. He said ok, ran the card and then told me when I came back. I mentioned she already had a discount, he said he didn't notice it on the statement.
Too late, she's gone. I'm still upset even tho it isn't enough money to get this upset about. It's the idea that she asked for another discount. She was not reiterating what I told her, she asked for more off. And I took it that she figured why not, she didn't talk to him, maybe he didn't know.

I had a similar situation with a gift certificate recently - I extended the expiry for a month but the rate had gone up in a year, so the room that was booked was $15 more. I didn't write the additional amount on the check-in form, DH didn't charge her for it because he thought we were just doing it. When I told her the next day that she actually still owed us a bit (essentially the taxes) she pulled out the your husband didn't say anything and the person who gave me the gift certificate said it covered a specific room including tax and gratuity. Well, it says a dollar amount right on the gc, which did cover the room and tax - never a gratuity - 13 months ago when the certificate was bought, not now, and she was told this when she made the reservation. I let it go, in the interest of customer relations and gettting the gc off my books, but I was inordinately po'd at this guest. It's good that everything happened on their way out; otherwise I would have stewed all night. In the grand scheme of things $15 is not worth getting aggravated about. It's the violation of trust and integrity that makes you angry. Just keep telling yourself that karma puts that on them, not you
devil_smile.gif
muirford said:
devil_smile.gif
This is the danger of going off policy to be nice. You can't make things up as you go along by being nice to people or you WILL get screwed everytime.
What DW and I have done is create a list of UNWRITTEN policies to cover such eventualities. That way, if something deviates from the norm BOTH of us know what to do. Otherwise, we consult with the other and make an on-the-spot executive decision. This is a business for crying out loud. You MUST have rules and adhere to them. This does not preclude customer relations, but you need to be clear with each other before the guest arrives.
We also have a practice of whoever takes the reservation (usually these situations arise on the phone) to make copious notes on the reservation form so that if either party is absent, there is a note stating what was said and done.
This might be a good time to also reexamine your written policies to clarify your Gift Certificate rules.

devil_smile.gif
muirford said:
devil_smile.gif
This is the danger of going off policy to be nice. You can't make things up as you go along by being nice to people or you WILL get screwed everytime.
What DW and I have done is create a list of UNWRITTEN policies to cover such eventualities. That way, if something deviates from the norm BOTH of us know what to do. Otherwise, we consult with the other and make an on-the-spot executive decision. This is a business for crying out loud. You MUST have rules and adhere to them. This does not preclude customer relations, but you need to be clear with each other before the guest arrives.
We also have a practice of whoever takes the reservation (usually these situations arise on the phone) to make copious notes on the reservation form so that if either party is absent, there is a note stating what was said and done.
This might be a good time to also reexamine your written policies to clarify your Gift Certificate rules.
Proud Texan said:
No thanks. We already have an extensive guest registration form that we use when taking reservations. This happened exactly once in 7 years and was due to a compilation of mistakes on both my part and DH's, the guest's willingness to take advantage of that, and the person buying the gift certificate lying about its conditions. It also happened in the middle of the busiest month we've ever had in our ownership of the inn.
Businesses make decisions to waive policies for better customer relations all the time and that was our decision, same as if I gave a discount because someone had a cold shower. You cannot predict every situation before it happens. My DH and I have an excellent working relationship and blasting it with rules or the inability to let each other make a mistake once in a while Isn't in our best interests.

I am confused by this. Why are you scammed? You mean DH already ran the card and gave her the second $10 off? Isn't that an error on his part? Was she not just asking for the discount she told YOU about and since it was he, she mentioned it again? You don't print statements then I take it or he would have seen it on there?.
He didn't look at the statement before he agreed to knock more off. At that point, too late. He said ok, ran the card and then told me when I came back. I mentioned she already had a discount, he said he didn't notice it on the statement.
Too late, she's gone. I'm still upset even tho it isn't enough money to get this upset about. It's the idea that she asked for another discount. She was not reiterating what I told her, she asked for more off. And I took it that she figured why not, she didn't talk to him, maybe he didn't know.
Stuff happens. Why is this such a big deal? I mean, how much money are we really talking about here off of your rates? People are looking to get big discounts these days and so this person played you and your dh for a little more off the room because they felt like by not eating breakfast maybe it should be cheaper. Whatever. In the long run it was probably better than an empty room!
Now, y'all know what you need to do to communicate better in the future. Chalk it up to a learning experience :)

Stuff happens. (HEY I WROTE THAT SIMULATANEOUS TO YOU SAMSTER! HA HA)
When there are two involved it happens. I have notes written clearly on every rez and it is still not read when an answer is given. I am adamant about reading the notes, but can't force the other half to comply.
cry_smile.gif

I just gave $40 off for a military discount.

When there are two involved it happens. I have notes written clearly on every rez and it is still not read when an answer is given. I am adamant about reading the notes, but can't force the other half to comply.
cry_smile.gif

I just gave $40 off for a military discount..
Great minds with but a single thought. haha :)
Here's a good story about communication or mis-communication....
Dh and I are standing there together talking to the guests who say that one of them is leaving super early (for a meeting) but the other will be here for breakfast. So, he is happy with going on his merry way with coffee to-go which is in the room. My dh opens his big fat mouth and says, "Oh, Samster will make you something and either bring it over early or she can leave it in your fridge for you to heat up in the morning. She does it all the time." What the??? The guest had already let me off the hook and my cRaZy husband is offering that I either make something for brekkie the night before or get up at o'dark thirty? I actually kept my composure and said that sure I could do that, but the guy was so nice HE said, "Oh, I don't want her to go to all that trouble! We have some stuff in the room and some of the great muffins that she sent with us."
I had to remind my dh that I get to decide if I want to do that. Good grief, breakfast is complimentary!!! Ohhhhhhhh.....
If my dh had been sitting down, I would have given him a good crack on the shins with my foot under the table!

cry_smile.gif

Dh and I are standing there together talking to the guests who say that one of them is leaving super early (for a meeting) but the other will be here for breakfast. So, he is happy with going on his merry way with coffee to-go which is in the room. My dh opens his big fat mouth and says, "Oh, Samster will make you something and either bring it over early or she can leave it in your fridge for you to heat up in the morning. She does it all the time." What the??? The guest had already let me off the hook and my cRaZy husband is offering that I either make something for brekkie the night before or get up at o'dark thirty? I actually kept my composure and said that sure I could do that, but the guy was so nice HE said, "Oh, I don't want her to go to all that trouble! We have some stuff in the room and some of the great muffins that she sent with us."
I had to remind my dh that I get to decide if I want to do that. Good grief, breakfast is complimentary!!! Ohhhhhhhh.....
If my dh had been sitting down, I would have given him a good crack on the shins with my foot under the table!
Samster said:
After 28+ years, DW quit kicking me under the table. She said all she got accomplished was she kept hurting her foot.

devil_smile.gif
muirford said:
devil_smile.gif
Proud Texan said:
No thanks. We already have an extensive guest registration form that we use when taking reservations. This happened exactly once in 7 years and was due to a compilation of mistakes on both my part and DH's, the guest's willingness to take advantage of that, and the person buying the gift certificate lying about its conditions. It also happened in the middle of the busiest month we've ever had in our ownership of the inn.
Businesses make decisions to waive policies for better customer relations all the time and that was our decision, same as if I gave a discount because someone had a cold shower. You cannot predict every situation before it happens. My DH and I have an excellent working relationship and blasting it with rules or the inability to let each other make a mistake once in a while Isn't in our best interests.
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
Good grief, don't get so defensive. I wasn't suggesting that you tie yourselves up with rules and regulations in order to wreck your marriage. On the contrary, I was merely suggesting that you have a mutually agreed plan of action should such a situation ever arise again. If you can remember all your policies without writing them down, then you have a much better memory than I. We have no confidence in our memory, so we write everything down.
DW and I are best friends. We talk about everything. A year before we even opened we discussed how to handle every situation we could think of. With our entry to this forum, we've made adjustments as we've learned from our peers better ways to do things. They're our rules. We can change them anytime we want. Therein lies the flexibility and freedom to make mistakes.

cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
After 28+ years, DW quit kicking me under the table. She said all she got accomplished was she kept hurting her foot.
(tongue in cheek) She said SHINS not head!

cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
OK...I couldn't reach a frying pan to knock him upside the head either.
smileystooges.gif

devil_smile.gif
muirford said:
devil_smile.gif
Proud Texan said:
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
Good grief, don't get so defensive. I wasn't suggesting that you tie yourselves up with rules and regulations in order to wreck your marriage. On the contrary, I was merely suggesting that you have a mutually agreed plan of action should such a situation ever arise again. If you can remember all your policies without writing them down, then you have a much better memory than I. We have no confidence in our memory, so we write everything down.
DW and I are best friends. We talk about everything. A year before we even opened we discussed how to handle every situation we could think of. With our entry to this forum, we've made adjustments as we've learned from our peers better ways to do things. They're our rules. We can change them anytime we want. Therein lies the flexibility and freedom to make mistakes.
Proud Texan said:
Good grief, don't get so defensive.
Then don't quote me, and tell me what I MUST do, or I WILL get screwed, to have my UNWRITTEN policies (you write down your unwritten policies?) so that BOTH of us know what to do. I was sharing a similar experience with Bree, replied against her topic - not asking for heavy-handed advice for a problem that I don't think I have. That creates an environment ripe for a defensive response
angry_smile.gif

Back