Scammer with sense of humor?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Just got one of those 10 day, 5 room 'enquiries'. The sense of humor? His name is 'Joe Ken'.

Good one!
regular_smile.gif
Did you reply with Abby Normal?

I love those silly things. If they weren't so persistent and obvious, I'm sure somebody somewhere would fall for one.
Its always so funny how they go for the gold ring in a way that doesn't resemble any typical booking request most of us ever get.
"I need six double rooms with seperate beds for 21 days for a church group coming to your area for a conference."
Oh really? What church, in what town? Gee, our B&b only has four rooms and no double beds, are you sure you have the right place?
Interpol has an internet fraud division that tries to catalog and track this stuff down, but anybody in a cyber cafe on a public computer with a Yahoo, etc. email account can do this stuff all day.

I love those silly things. If they weren't so persistent and obvious, I'm sure somebody somewhere would fall for one.
Its always so funny how they go for the gold ring in a way that doesn't resemble any typical booking request most of us ever get.
"I need six double rooms with seperate beds for 21 days for a church group coming to your area for a conference."
Oh really? What church, in what town? Gee, our B&b only has four rooms and no double beds, are you sure you have the right place?
Interpol has an internet fraud division that tries to catalog and track this stuff down, but anybody in a cyber cafe on a public computer with a Yahoo, etc. email account can do this stuff all day..
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
but anybody in a cyber cafe on a public computer with a Yahoo, etc. email account can do this stuff all day.
And WHAT IS THE POINT????????? I have never understood the purpose of this.

Interpol has an internet fraud division that tries to catalog and track this stuff down, but anybody in a cyber cafe on a public computer with a Yahoo, etc. email account can do this stuff all day..
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
but anybody in a cyber cafe on a public computer with a Yahoo, etc. email account can do this stuff all day.
penelope said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Eventually someone will bite. Then what happens is the scammer says they want to send a check for more than the amount, and could you refund the money to them by sending it to X person who will then be renting the cars, or some such story. So, either the check is bogus or the credit card they use is stolen and you are out the money you refunded to them. That's the scam in a nutshell.

I saw a stat the other night that 95% of all email sent in 2007 was spam. So just like we say "I hate that commercial, what is the point?" Well it does work or they would have given up by now!
Semantic says 90% of all email is spam - according to PC Mag.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
penelope said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Eventually someone will bite. Then what happens is the scammer says they want to send a check for more than the amount, and could you refund the money to them by sending it to X person who will then be renting the cars, or some such story. So, either the check is bogus or the credit card they use is stolen and you are out the money you refunded to them. That's the scam in a nutshell.
Bree said:
penelope said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
And after the several weeks it takes YOUR bank to determine this cashier's check is a fake, charges YOU for the deposited amount.
There are a million warning signs of these scams and hopefully nobody in our fraternity ever loses track of their logic and common sense enough to fall for one. Look at the recipient slot first, if it isn't to your business name or is blocked from view, big red flag. If the email doesn't use a personalized salutation "Dear Ms. Bree, etc. like 99% of your real guests, hit delete or junk.
These things are generally pretty over the top and very obvious. Lots of typos, lots of clues that they aren't legit, outrageous number of rooms and nights, etc.

If these people would put their giant amounts of effort into doing good instead of evil, the world would be a much nicer place! Positivity attracts positive things.

Back