Scent diffusers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Does anyone use scent diffusers? Samster's post about competing scents reminded me I wanted to ask this earlier. I'm very sensitive to scents so I would not be putting these out everywhere. But, I have some scented 'candles' (the kind that you melt in one of those electric candle holders) and they are tossed in a drawer by the front desk. (Which makes for an interesting medley when I open the drawer!)
Because I do the baking in my own oven, all those good cookie smells don't really make it out into the inn. So, I was wondering about a small vanilla scent diffuser in the inn kitchen.
Too much? Overwhelming or ok? Any opinions on good diffusers vs bad?
(I'm not going to put a pot of water on the stove and boil up some cinnamon sticks or orange peel. If I had that kind of time, I'd bake in the inn kitchen.)

i had them - the kinds with the liquid inside and the reeds - i used the ones with essential oils as a base in them. i picked them up on sale at pier one, i am not sure if they still have them.
i put one by a particular closet that would get 'odiferrous' (sp) over time. if you recall, we had so much laundry that i had to send it out. and i thought there was a smell (that would grow stronger) coming from the laundry in the time lapse over the weekend til monday morning pickup. it worked very well. i also put one in the detached bath and the shared bath.
now i am someone who enjoys scent and i realize some people do not. my mother was a 'cracked window' kind of person - even in winter.
i used to microwave a cinnamon spice concoction (with a wedge of apple in it) and set that out where guests could smell it but not touch it (careful, it gets hot!)

I keep one vanilla scented tart in an electric tart warmer in the main living room. Vanilla is such a nice, subtle, homey, scent. I wouldn't do anything stronger.

I've used the reed diffusers in the bathroom, living room and spa and guests comment that it smells nice. In their area I always tell them it can be capped if they find it offensive. The smells i like are rose, cinnamon apple and citrus. They smell good without being overwhelming.

I've used the reed diffusers in the bathroom, living room and spa and guests comment that it smells nice. In their area I always tell them it can be capped if they find it offensive. The smells i like are rose, cinnamon apple and citrus. They smell good without being overwhelming..
I use reed diffusers extensively in my large home. I have one in the kitchen, entry hall, and in each upstairs bathroom. I use an English lavendar oil and the scent is clean and fresh but not overpowering.
I like them because they give continuous scent without using a flame or electricity.

I keep one vanilla scented tart in an electric tart warmer in the main living room. Vanilla is such a nice, subtle, homey, scent. I wouldn't do anything stronger..
Country Girl said:
I keep one vanilla scented tart in an electric tart warmer in the main living room. Vanilla is such a nice, subtle, homey, scent. I wouldn't do anything stronger.
Yes, that's what I have now...electric tart warmer. (hee hee, that just sounds so funny!) But I don't want to run it all the time. It's in the hallway near my room, so it has a nice cinnamon-y smell there. (Better than eau de chien!)

I've used the reed diffusers in the bathroom, living room and spa and guests comment that it smells nice. In their area I always tell them it can be capped if they find it offensive. The smells i like are rose, cinnamon apple and citrus. They smell good without being overwhelming..
Citrus sounds good. Cinnamon apple, too. I had a bad experience once with a rose-scented free sample that made my purse reek. It still smelled when I threw it out years later!

Good question! The reed diffuser that went "off" was a gingerbread scent from Christmas. It was from Pier One. Originally, it was quite nice. I've had fresh linen or lavender essential oils scents that were good.
I have a plug in linen scent thing from Pier One in the hallway of the second house. It's lovely. The lavender is nice too, not overpowering.
I love this "Scentsy" thing that a guest sent me. It's one of those things that plugs in and the light bulb melts the wax. Lasts forever. Since I ditched that diffuser, it's the only thing on the first floor & I have it in the dining room near the kitchen door. It gets turned on after breakfast when people have cleared out to dissipate the egg/bacon smells until the afternoon bakingd of the the treats smell takes over. :)
Experience has now taught me not to have more than one scent happening.....

If I were to have any scents at all they would be essential oils with stick infuser. Anything else is toxic. I don't have scents though. Too many people have issues with them including myself.

I don't use any scents in the B&B. There are just too many people that have problems with scents of any kind. My husband is one of these. I also use very basic cleaning products that are unscented or very mild.

I don't use any scents in the B&B. There are just too many people that have problems with scents of any kind. My husband is one of these. I also use very basic cleaning products that are unscented or very mild..
hawley said:
I don't use any scents in the B&B. There are just too many people that have problems with scents of any kind. My husband is one of these. I also use very basic cleaning products that are unscented or very mild.
"There are just too many people that have problems with scents of any kind. My husband is one of these." Mine is...well...If I could get rid of my husband I would have no scents in the B&B.

I don't use any scents in the B&B. There are just too many people that have problems with scents of any kind. My husband is one of these. I also use very basic cleaning products that are unscented or very mild..
hawley said:
"There are just too many people that have problems with scents of any kind. My husband is one of these." Mine is...well...If I could get rid of my husband I would have no scents in the B&B.
HA :raz:

hawley said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
And you know what he (your DH) will say? Then you would have no sense in the B&B!

WHAT is an electric tart warmer?
Wait don't answer that. My mind is out of control..
That is a really funny name, Tart Warmer! You know what it is, it's a ceramic type jar, with a light bulb inside and a place on top to hold the tart. The bulb heats the tart holder and melts the wax. Am I explaining this right? Yankee Candle sells them. Check this out. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=15835915.
We have one that is made of copper. It is a beautiful thing, but we won't use it anymore. Between DW and I, we have spilled the wax 3 times now and it is a huge mess to clean up. We now have an antique Larkin Desk that needs to be refished to repair the damage from the wax. It is not worth the few hours of scent that it gives off. :(

WHAT is an electric tart warmer?
Wait don't answer that. My mind is out of control..
That is a really funny name, Tart Warmer! You know what it is, it's a ceramic type jar, with a light bulb inside and a place on top to hold the tart. The bulb heats the tart holder and melts the wax. Am I explaining this right? Yankee Candle sells them. Check this out. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=15835915.
We have one that is made of copper. It is a beautiful thing, but we won't use it anymore. Between DW and I, we have spilled the wax 3 times now and it is a huge mess to clean up. We now have an antique Larkin Desk that needs to be refished to repair the damage from the wax. It is not worth the few hours of scent that it gives off. :(
That's the nice thing about the reed diffusers, most of the liquid is alcohol with a small amount of essential oil.
The only problem I ever had was with one in the bathroom. The guest got her towel caught on the sticks and somehow pulled down the shower curtain and spilled the contents on it.
It looked really bad at the time and I was worried about laundering it because of the tassle decoration. Fortunately it evaporated without as much as a spot. Boy did I dodge a bullet on that one. Now it just smells really good.

hawley said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
And you know what he (your DH) will say? Then you would have no sense in the B&B!
He has told me that once. Here is the story.
Last thanksgiving morning, I was cooking the meal and my husband was insisting I help get the christmas stuff out as he was putting the tree up. Well, I was tired and looking for stuff and missed the last 2 steps on the back stairs and plowed head first into the steel back door. I lit on my left knee and it was all scraped up. My right knee was wrenched and leg was twisted. It worried me because the right is a total hip replacement. Well, I could move and decided nothing was broken, just well scraped and bruised. So on I went. Helped with the tree and got a thanksgiving meal cooked. Husband played cards in the afternoon with son and grandkids. DIL helped me with dishes. Then it was all cleaned up and put away. Had guests check in that evening for 5 days. Then I worked on decorating the house and the tree on friday, saturday and sunday. Sunday all the grandkids came over and they finished decorating the tree. We dipped pretzels in 2 pounds of almond bark and then we made a gingerbread house and decorated it. A busy day.
Monday night my husband wanted to go shopping and I told him I was tired and didn't want to go shopping, could we do it the next day? He insisted we go shopping and that the B&B was too much for me.
That was the day I felt like K.

hawley said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Last thanksgiving morning, I was cooking the meal and my husband was insisting I help get the christmas stuff out as he was putting the tree up. Well, I was tired and looking for stuff and missed the last 2 steps on the back stairs and plowed head first into the steel back door. I lit on my left knee and it was all scraped up. My right knee was wrenched and leg was twisted. It worried me because the right is a total hip replacement. Well, I could move and decided nothing was broken, just well scraped and bruised. So on I went. Helped with the tree and got a thanksgiving meal cooked. Husband played cards in the afternoon with son and grandkids. DIL helped me with dishes. Then it was all cleaned up and put away. Had guests check in that evening for 5 days. Then I worked on decorating the house and the tree on friday, saturday and sunday. Sunday all the grandkids came over and they finished decorating the tree. We dipped pretzels in 2 pounds of almond bark and then we made a gingerbread house and decorated it. A busy day.
Monday night my husband wanted to go shopping and I told him I was tired and didn't want to go shopping, could we do it the next day? He insisted we go shopping and that the B&B was too much for me.
OH!!! Do I understand!!! Want some butter? Tide? Hefty bags?

hawley said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Yes, they are all alike...except for maybe Muirford's husband or Bree's...or any others that work right alongside the other half of the innkeeping duo every day. The others just don't get it. Frankly, I'm getting sick of the phrase, "You need to get more sleep" when I say I'm tired.
angry_smile.gif

Back