Scent free B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have a sign at their B&B like DR's offices do? "Please refrain from strong scents, or please limit scents for our other guests etc."

I like the idea of saying "we try" and here are some things we do. Some people are super sensitive and you would not want to oversell to that crowd.

As others have said, good luck with this. It's difficult to be truly scent free. I use scent free laundry agents and don't have plug-ins and all of that. But, people use a myriad of scented products these days. (When did we all start smelling so bad is what I want to know?) I was amazed at what guests would bring with them. I did have air neutralizer sprays in all the guest bath rooms. Sometimes you do NOT want to go in there without being armed! Yeah, sometimes even exhaust fans don't do the trick.
You can advertise to your guests that you'd like to keep your place "scent-free", but as we all know....guests will do what they want. :).
After reading all the comments, I have come up with the following " We strive to be scent free". Most homes have their own smell as some of you have pointed out, but minimizing the use of smelly chemistry etc. should be most comfortable to those who are sensitive.
BBBBob
BBBBoB said:
After reading all the comments, I have come up with the following " We strive to be scent free". Most homes have their own smell as some of you have pointed out, but minimizing the use of smelly chemistry etc. should be most comfortable to those who are sensitive.
BBBBob
What about "fragrance free"?

bbbbob there are many angles to make it sound super appealing, if I were you...I had your lakeside B&B I would make it part of the lake experience.
here in the mountains I should make it part of the mountain experience.
on the other had the women here in the south have every spray spritz and scent available to mankind, so they need just go to a restaurant and be overwhelmed by it.
Anyway, just a suggestion, from my outside looking-in at your place...I would think that was considerate of the environment as well as others there to take in the fresh air, etc...
I would also try to have some more natural fiber linens, quilts etc. Since we are an old vic we don't do the more natural stuff, not the frou frou either, but have middle of the road. If I had seaside or lake side or truly mountain top I would go for that. just thinking aloud here...

we don't have plug in's as a rule in the rooms just if some
potty-mouth.gif
has smoked in the room to help get rid of the smell. Figure that is justified. otherwise we are scent free as strong smells give me a headache

As others have said, good luck with this. It's difficult to be truly scent free. I use scent free laundry agents and don't have plug-ins and all of that. But, people use a myriad of scented products these days. (When did we all start smelling so bad is what I want to know?) I was amazed at what guests would bring with them. I did have air neutralizer sprays in all the guest bath rooms. Sometimes you do NOT want to go in there without being armed! Yeah, sometimes even exhaust fans don't do the trick.
You can advertise to your guests that you'd like to keep your place "scent-free", but as we all know....guests will do what they want. :).
BBBBob
BBBBoB said:
BBBBob
Emily Spiers said:
Yes, that is a bit clearer.
Thanks
BBBBob

I get the fragrance free... In my mind a clean room and or a clean bathroom doesn't mean to me it is ordorless. The lingering odor of cleaning products that contain bleach or ammonia indicates clean....as will Windex.

Nothing is fragrance free. Shampoo is scented, even the unscented all natural Tom's of Maine has lavendar or some scent to make it pleasant. I would not strive to be scent free, it is impossible. I have a big assortment of Asian lillies in the parlor right now and they are UBER FRAGRANT and awesome! Some people love to stop and smell the roses... :)

Some people just don't get the scent/allergy thing. I am very sensitive and had a great trick for perfumey people when they arrived. I'd tell them that the black flies and mosquitoes really love scents so they should take my advise and pack them away for the duration of their stay. Worked just about every time.
tounge_smile.gif

Some people just don't get the scent/allergy thing. I am very sensitive and had a great trick for perfumey people when they arrived. I'd tell them that the black flies and mosquitoes really love scents so they should take my advise and pack them away for the duration of their stay. Worked just about every time.
tounge_smile.gif
Welcome back!
newcat said:
tounge_smile.gif
THat's a very good idea...

tounge_smile.gif
Welcome back!
newcat said:
tounge_smile.gif
OK....Great idea.
But........wouldn't they have come across the problem while they are home ?
Maybe......bugs behave differently in different locations?.....if that suggestion works.....awesome.
There are some womens perfumes, when over applied gag me.......not nearly as bad is nonbathing folks

tounge_smile.gif
Welcome back!
newcat said:
tounge_smile.gif
Emily Spiers said:
Welcome back!
newcat said:
tounge_smile.gif
I like that idea too, because it would be very believable here in the woods by the pond.
I could also tell them that some scents contain pig pheramones that really get our resident wild hogs stirred up. So, unless they don't wish a romantic encounter with a wild hog perhaps they should rethink their choice of scents.
devil_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif
Welcome back!
newcat said:
tounge_smile.gif
Emily Spiers said:
Welcome back!
newcat said:
tounge_smile.gif
I like that idea too, because it would be very believable here in the woods by the pond.
I could also tell them that some scents contain pig pheramones that really get our resident wild hogs stirred up. So, unless they don't wish a romantic encounter with a wild hog perhaps they should rethink their choice of scents.
devil_smile.gif

You are EVIL!!! I love it!!

Awesome Tex......I can picture a woman/mans face as you tell them that.

Back