Scent free B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBBBoB

Reaction score
Both of us are rather sensitive to perfumes, instant "Pure Spring" plug in aroma makers etc. We try to clean with no smell chemistry. The tissue & soaps are fragrance free. A number of guests have commented on this & appreciate this lack of artificial ambiance. They have suggested to put that on our website as feature of the B&B. What do ou think?
BBBBob

If you are truly scent free I would put it on the website and blog about it!! w/this disclaimer...
Unfortunately, our gUESTS are not scent free...
So when I have inquiries about this I tell the caller "I cannot guarantee the guest in another room is not Zsa Zsa Gabore in the fragrance world. Case in point the other threads of the overpowering stench of perfume, and the overpowering stench of body stench. EEK.

If you are truly scent free I would put it on the website and blog about it!! w/this disclaimer...
So when I have inquiries about this I tell the caller "I cannot guarantee the guest in another room is not Zsa Zsa Gabore in the fragrance world. Case in point the other threads of the overpowering stench of perfume, and the overpowering stench of body stench. EEK..
Joey Bloggs said:
So when I have inquiries about this I tell the caller "I cannot guarantee the guest in another room is not Zsa Zsa Gabore in the fragrance world. Case in point the other threads of the overpowering stench of perfume, and the overpowering stench of body stench. EEK.
That is my biggest concern about flouting this benefit. We had one guest used that used far too much perfume/hair spray in the bathroom. I scrubbed the walls, floor, shower doors. It still smelled. It wasn't till I noticed a couple of shiny spots on the ceiling that I was able to get rid of the stench wonderful aroma.
BBBBob

I would put it on there and describe what you do and why. It may also scare off some of the more blatant offenders from staying with you and save you some grief.
You will probably more than make up for the scented staying away with the unscented who are happy to have a 'smell-free' place to stay.

EXACTLY MORTIE! That is why i think it should go on, and then those stinky-sweet guests can stay elsewhere.
I laughed the other day when a guest was determined to see our pets. I said to her "Ya know, the reason I have them on our website/blog is for those who hate animals so they won't stay here!" ha ha She had no idea...esp that guests would hate animals. OH YEAH!

So when I have inquiries about this I tell the caller "I cannot guarantee the guest in another room is not Zsa Zsa Gabore in the fragrance world. Case in point the other threads of the overpowering stench of perfume, and the overpowering stench of body stench. EEK..
Joey Bloggs said:
That is my biggest concern about flouting this benefit. We had one guest used that used far too much perfume/hair spray in the bathroom. I scrubbed the walls, floor, shower doors. It still smelled. It wasn't till I noticed a couple of shiny spots on the ceiling that I was able to get rid of the stench wonderful aroma.
BBBBob
One of our rooms has a slight "Old lady wearing Yardley" smell haunting it, and in 6 years I've never managed to get rid of it. The only "soft furnishing" that hasn't been replaced in that time is the carpet and that get's shampoed ever 4-6 weeks in the summer and thoroughly in the winter.

I would put it on my web site in bold:
The innkeepers are "perfume and scent" sensitive, therefore use scent-free cleaning methods and amenities for the sensitivities of our guests and the health of the innkeepers. Keeping our Bed & Breakfast a "scent-free zone" by our guests is greatly appreciated.
I try to make ours as scent-free as possible but a friend pointed out the liquid soap is scented - so next time I order a gallon of soap I will look for scent-free. I use perfume-free dye-free detergents and no fabric softeners to keep scents out of here. I want the only scent in my house to be baking bread or roasting coffee.

As others have said, good luck with this. It's difficult to be truly scent free. I use scent free laundry agents and don't have plug-ins and all of that. But, people use a myriad of scented products these days. (When did we all start smelling so bad is what I want to know?) I was amazed at what guests would bring with them. I did have air neutralizer sprays in all the guest bath rooms. Sometimes you do NOT want to go in there without being armed! Yeah, sometimes even exhaust fans don't do the trick.
You can advertise to your guests that you'd like to keep your place "scent-free", but as we all know....guests will do what they want. :)

As an Eco-friendly business: Plug-ins are an abomination and are nothing more than a device to make you use and therefore buy more scent more often, whilst wasting electricity and creating more plastic for land fill sites into the bargain

One thing I worry about are smells in my place that we cannot smell ourselves because we are there every day. I've been in people's houses that always have a distinctive smell, and when I've mentioned it the owners have no idea there's anything there at all. Our noses become immune to odors we're exposed to all day every day.
I guess that's the case with Highlands John's current smelly guests. They don't even smell themselves anymore, and may have no idea how bad it has gotten.

One thing I worry about are smells in my place that we cannot smell ourselves because we are there every day. I've been in people's houses that always have a distinctive smell, and when I've mentioned it the owners have no idea there's anything there at all. Our noses become immune to odors we're exposed to all day every day.
I guess that's the case with Highlands John's current smelly guests. They don't even smell themselves anymore, and may have no idea how bad it has gotten..
If you go away for a week, when you return you WILL pick up on the aromas and/or odors in you house. It is very true that the stinky stinkers do not have any perception of odors - especially theirs!

I'm a bit of a fresh air freak. Any chance I get all the windows are open, no matter what time of year. I can't sleep at night with the window closed, I need cold fresh air.

As an Eco-friendly business: Plug-ins are an abomination and are nothing more than a device to make you use and therefore buy more scent more often, whilst wasting electricity and creating more plastic for land fill sites into the bargain.
Amen!

Inngoers have no idea we are discussing their smells...it is pretty funny when you look at it from the outside looking in.
"Smelly Guests Stay Home!"

Inngoers have no idea we are discussing their smells...it is pretty funny when you look at it from the outside looking in.
"Smelly Guests Stay Home!".
I can smell a smoker a mile away! Of course they never know as I point out the smoking areas as if I do this with all guests. .. I normally only mention that our building is smoke & flame free.

Speaking of SCENTED< I am wearing the forest, we have bad mozzies this year and I was outside working today and had to use some deet, I have it out on the porch for guests too, rotten bugs! I STINKETH, OH DO I STINKETH! GREASY NASTY STUFF.

I guess that's the case with Highlands John's current smelly guests. They don't even smell themselves anymore, and may have no idea how bad it has gotten..
Arkansawyer said:
I've been in people's houses that always have a distinctive smell, and when I've mentioned it the owners have no idea there's anything there at all. Our noses become immune to odors we're exposed to all day every day.
Actually, even tho I'm here every day, I'm aware that each room smells different. Does anyone else notice that? I think if you took me blindfolded into any of my rooms I could immediately tell you which room I'm in. It must have to do with the particular furniture, carpeting, bedding, etc. I WISH it could all be truly neutral, but I haven't figured out how to make it so. If anybody else has figured it out, please let me know!

"Smelly Guests Stay Home!".
I can smell a smoker a mile away! Of course they never know as I point out the smoking areas as if I do this with all guests. .. I normally only mention that our building is smoke & flame free.
copperhead said:
Agree totally. I can even tell when a smoker has walked through the hallway.
Many smokers stink all the time, I've been very aware that their bedroom can smell (especially when their clothes atc. are in the room), that's why acusing people of smoking in the room without hard evidence is such dangerous territory.

They smoke in their vehicles. They embody themselves in smoke. There was only one guest who didn't smell of smoke and who I nicknamed "The Assassin" and he had his regular evening "Samuel Adams" beer and one smoke each night. That was his daily allotment.

As others have said, good luck with this. It's difficult to be truly scent free. I use scent free laundry agents and don't have plug-ins and all of that. But, people use a myriad of scented products these days. (When did we all start smelling so bad is what I want to know?) I was amazed at what guests would bring with them. I did have air neutralizer sprays in all the guest bath rooms. Sometimes you do NOT want to go in there without being armed! Yeah, sometimes even exhaust fans don't do the trick.
You can advertise to your guests that you'd like to keep your place "scent-free", but as we all know....guests will do what they want. :).
After reading all the comments, I have come up with the following " We strive to be scent free". Most homes have their own smell as some of you have pointed out, but minimizing the use of smelly chemistry etc. should be most comfortable to those who are sensitive.
BBBBob

Back