Quantcast

Scientist incinerates neighbour's garden

INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources

Help Support INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources:

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Scientist incinerates neighbour's garden
A Scottish scientist using a mini-blowtorch to kill weeds accidentally incinerated his neighbours' front garden.
Sorry, but these are just too UNRELEVANT to not post here. Somehow they all seem to fit in with one or two of our stories on this forum.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
I have one of those weed burners. I use it to kill weeds rather than use Roundup (which justs ends up in the lake). Fun to use for a while, but can be a real danger.

Morticia

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have one of those weed burners. I use it to kill weeds rather than use Roundup (which justs ends up in the lake). Fun to use for a while, but can be a real danger..
swirt said:
I have one of those weed burners. I use it to kill weeds rather than use Roundup (which justs ends up in the lake). Fun to use for a while, but can be a real danger.
Are you doing weeds on a patio or some such? (Not large swaths of lawn area.) If so, vinegar works. It takes a couple of days and it's best to do it when the sun will be out full strength. The directions I had said to spray it on the weeds. Forget that, pour it right out of the bottle.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
We have found nothing but round up works. No other brand. I am talking about parking lot weeds and such. Garden weeds have to pulled and they still evolve and live on...

swirt

Reaction score
I have one of those weed burners. I use it to kill weeds rather than use Roundup (which justs ends up in the lake). Fun to use for a while, but can be a real danger..
swirt said:
Are you doing weeds on a patio or some such? (Not large swaths of lawn area.) If so, vinegar works. It takes a couple of days and it's best to do it when the sun will be out full strength. The directions I had said to spray it on the weeds. Forget that, pour it right out of the bottle.
Our driveway and parking area is dirt/rock and fairly long, so there is a lot of battle to be done with the weeds. I've heard about using vinegar (vinegar with salt if my memory is correct). I'll have to give it a try.

Morticia

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
swirt said:
Our driveway and parking area is dirt/rock and fairly long, so there is a lot of battle to be done with the weeds. I've heard about using vinegar (vinegar with salt if my memory is correct). I'll have to give it a try.
swirt said:
I didn't find that the addition of salt did what I heard it would- keep the weeds from returning, ever again, like in the Bible. So I just went with the vinegar. Everything browns up in a couple of days.

Willowpondgj

Reaction score
swirt said:
Got any tips for getting rid of grasshoppers eating my vegetable garden? Besides renting a chicken?

swirt

Reaction score
swirt said:
Got any tips for getting rid of grasshoppers eating my vegetable garden? Besides renting a chicken?
LOL my Weed Burner does a nice job with any bugs in its path, but the downside would be that it would blanch your vegetables while they are still on the vine :(

Samster

Reaction score
swirt said:
My friend in TX has chickens and that's a nice bonus :)