Scones

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SecondAct

Reaction score
Anyone have a reeeeaaaallllyyyy good scones recipe they can share? I have tried some off the internet and from cookbooks and just cannot get one that I really like. I've tasted some at a nearby B&B that were "to die for" but the lady who made them is no longer around and neither is her recipe. They were not dry and crumbly, but held together nicely and were buttery and yummy.

Most scone recipes are basically the same things.....The secret is to not overmix the dough. Check this site...if you haven't already Yummy recipes and photos!
http://inncuisine.com/

Most scone recipes are basically the same things.....The secret is to not overmix the dough. Check this site...if you haven't already Yummy recipes and photos!
http://inncuisine.com/.
Thanks ... I do check that site out frequently. I'm not finding a basic scone recipe there, but I'll have to spend a little more time looking. it's easy to spend way too much time on that site as the pics are enough to make you drool. :)

http://inncuisine.com/.
Thanks ... I do check that site out frequently. I'm not finding a basic scone recipe there, but I'll have to spend a little more time looking. it's easy to spend way too much time on that site as the pics are enough to make you drool. :)
Ina made these yesterday on Barefoot contessa, if you search there she has about a half dozen different ones. These looked really good.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/maple-oatmeal-scones-recipe2/index.html

The gals at bedandbreakfastfoodies have a few good scone recipes on their site. I've tried the chocolate chip recipe and it was quite good..
Here is mine if you like ... they work well and I get rave reviews
In a food processor:
2 cups of flour, 1/4 c sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking powder ... pulse. 1/2 cup butter ... blend until mixed.
add extras here ... chocolate, dried berries, orange/lemon zest, etc. pulse.
mix 1/3 cup heavy cream and 2 eggs ... pulse into dry mixture until just mixed/moist (I hardly ever need all the liquid).
dump out onto counter and push dough together until it holds and divide into two. Flatten and make 2 rounds about 1 inch thick, brush on any left over cream/egg mixture or just some cream, sprinkle with sugar cut each round into 6 wedges and bake in 400 f oven for 12 to 15 minutes until just lightly golden.
I use the food processor as it is faster and my hands are usually too warm (although right now they are freezing). These are never dry and I am always asked for my recipe.

The gals at bedandbreakfastfoodies have a few good scone recipes on their site. I've tried the chocolate chip recipe and it was quite good..
In a food processor:
2 cups of flour, 1/4 c sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking powder ... pulse. 1/2 cup butter ... blend until mixed.
mix 1/3 cup heavy cream and 2 eggs ... pulse into dry mixture until just mixed/moist (I hardly ever need all the liquid).
dump out onto counter and push dough together until it holds and divide into two. Flatten and make 2 rounds about 1 inch thick, brush on any left over cream/egg mixture or just some cream, sprinkle with sugar cut each round into 6 wedges and bake in 400 f oven for 12 to 15 minutes until just lightly golden.
I use the food processor as it is faster and my hands are usually too warm (although right now they are freezing). These are never dry and I am always asked for my recipe.
SOunds good..just like any normal scone recipe. ...they all are the basic same ingredients, just add whatever you like to make them your own:) I was surprised at the amount of baking powder the Barefoot Contessa recipe uses. I think it was 2 tablespoons....She said " it is what made them light." I don't know if that is true or not.

In a food processor:
SOunds good..just like any normal scone recipe. ...they all are the basic same ingredients, just add whatever you like to make them your own:) I was surprised at the amount of baking powder the Barefoot Contessa recipe uses. I think it was 2 tablespoons....She said " it is what made them light." I don't know if that is true or not.
I make scones pretty much every second day for dessert after breakfast. I will try and remember to add the extra baking powder and will let you know if it makes a huge difference. I found that the 1/2 cup instead of 1/4 cup of butter makes the difference for me.

In a food processor:
I make scones pretty much every second day for dessert after breakfast. I will try and remember to add the extra baking powder and will let you know if it makes a huge difference. I found that the 1/2 cup instead of 1/4 cup of butter makes the difference for me.
Cathy said:
I found that the 1/2 cup instead of 1/4 cup of butter makes the difference for me.
Yes, more butter please. Adds more fluffiness all around. Most especially on my belly but whatever.

In a food processor:
Cathy said:
I found that the 1/2 cup instead of 1/4 cup of butter makes the difference for me.
Yes, more butter please. Adds more fluffiness all around. Most especially on my belly but whatever.
true true ... and don't forget the heavy cream!! We had to stop eating the breakfasts we were serving guests. We were blaming the dryer for shrinking our clothes but ... it was a diet we needed instead.
Cutting out our breakfasts made the difference and it has taken longer to take off the extra pounds than it was to put on. But .. bring on the butter, heavy cream and of course ... Chocolate!!!!

In a food processor:
Cathy said:
true true ... and don't forget the heavy cream!! We had to stop eating the breakfasts we were serving guests. We were blaming the dryer for shrinking our clothes but ... it was a diet we needed instead.
Cutting out our breakfasts made the difference and it has taken longer to take off the extra pounds than it was to put on. But .. bring on the butter, heavy cream and of course ... Chocolate!!!!
Oh yes, love the cream, too. And don't forget the creme fraiche!

Thanks everyone for your input. I may try the food processor mixing method, will probably give a more even mix.

I like the scone recipes from starbucks, they have them in some of their books and you can find copy cat recipes if you google. I like the pumpkin and the raspberry ones the best.

Maybe I am too late on this, but thought I'd share this super simple, super good Scone recipe!
2 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 TBS baking powder, 1 cup whipping cream, dash salt. Combine dry ingredients, fold in cream. Turn onto floured board and knead one minute. At this point you can add any add'l ingredients you wish like: dried cherries or cranberries, nuts, chocolate chips (be creative). Knead one minute. Shape into flattened round, place on baking sheet, cut into wedges. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Voila!

Maybe I am too late on this, but thought I'd share this super simple, super good Scone recipe!
2 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 TBS baking powder, 1 cup whipping cream, dash salt. Combine dry ingredients, fold in cream. Turn onto floured board and knead one minute. At this point you can add any add'l ingredients you wish like: dried cherries or cranberries, nuts, chocolate chips (be creative). Knead one minute. Shape into flattened round, place on baking sheet, cut into wedges. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Voila!.
Can I ask....how do you fold in cream???? Is is supposed to be whipped before adding, or did you just mean stir in the cream?

No, do not whip b4 adding - I just typed in the instructions as they were on the recipe - I didn't have any problem in mixing it. Fold, stir, mix - use whatever term works for you.

Back