Score One for the Little Guy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
Just got a call from someone wanting to know if I take the gift certificates from the 800 lb gorilla. "No, sorry", I tell him. Then of course we have the typical conversation where he thinks that everyone listed on the directory takes them. I tell him how to find the participating inns. He's disappointed we don't take them, but then decides to book with us anyway. Very nice guy, I get all the info I need from him, then I ask if he had gotten the gift certificates as a gift. Oh no he says, I was going to go to Costco and buy them...it's a great value! I told him how that value happens...on the back of the innkeeper! He was appalled.
Score one for the little guy (gal)
cheers.gif

then I ask if he had gotten the gift certificates as a gift. Oh no he says, I was going to go to Costco and buy them...it's a great value! I told him how that value happens...on the back of the innkeeper! He was appalled.
It is great that someone actually cared how that value happens. All too many would not give a fig.....

Breakfast Diva said:
Oh no he says, I was going to go to Costco and buy them...it's a great value! I told him how that value happens...on the back of the innkeeper! He was appalled.
Plus the Costco ones can only be used for online booking thru bandb.com, I think.

I had an online rez from an individual wanting to use the love directory GC - same thing as you JB, just because we are on the directory does not mean we take the GC. I wrote back & called to make sure he knew he was not able to use it. Good thing he mentioned it in his rez., I have had people show up with a directory GC thinking they would be able to slip it in. I think that some feel we will say we have no availability if they mention it at first.
This guy canceled but then called back and re-booked. Guess he did not find one to take the GC.

YOU ROCK!!!
cheers.gif

I have turned away a couple gc's this year and they are not pleased, and they were one time wonders, not B&B people, using them just because. I also explained where to find participating inns, which they assumed all inns listed will accept them. (We're not listed anymore, btw if you get the chance, take a peek at how much it costs to have a "SELL an inn" listing on there)

Remember last year I had those I was planning on reusing myself to not lose the %, then I couldn't do it, I just mailed them off for redemption. (That's the rest of THAT story)

YOU ROCK!!!
cheers.gif

I have turned away a couple gc's this year and they are not pleased, and they were one time wonders, not B&B people, using them just because. I also explained where to find participating inns, which they assumed all inns listed will accept them. (We're not listed anymore, btw if you get the chance, take a peek at how much it costs to have a "SELL an inn" listing on there).
Joey Bloggs said:
I also explained where to find participating inns, which they assumed all inns listed will accept them.
Another example of people not reading...and it is not their fault so we should make an exception and accept them. Grrr. It took me 3 phone calls to get this guy to call me back on the love directory GC and then I had to explain in detail how they would not pay be the discounted $ because I was not signed up to accept them in the first place. This information should be in extra large print before they purchase.

Back