Scrap Booking is out what is in

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
I think that scrap booking is fading away. Many stores have closed in our area. We are not having very many requests for scrap booking weekends and other I know have said the same.
Things come and go. What do you think will be the next fad?

It appears that Microbrew touring is also in. We have a well known microbrewery in town and find that we get alot of guest referrals from their website....these people have a week or so vacation spent in a few different locales that have good breweries.

Bead jewelry making is still a popular home hobby.
Geocaching is getting going here. Wine tastings with food pairings at restaurants are having a resurgence in popularity.

Wine tasting is in, microbrewery tastings, and wine dinners here.
Riki

Murder mystery weekends is always popular here.

Geo-caching
Tastings (ie olive oil tasting, chocolate tasting, scotch tasting).
i had a guest that told me about Geo-caching. It would not interest me but she said there are people that are so into it. She said her daughter is nuts about it. The daughter is a teacher and she takes her kids. They spend all their free time doing this. I am not sure how we could make this a special for B&Bs.

Geo-caching
Tastings (ie olive oil tasting, chocolate tasting, scotch tasting).
i had a guest that told me about Geo-caching. It would not interest me but she said there are people that are so into it. She said her daughter is nuts about it. The daughter is a teacher and she takes her kids. They spend all their free time doing this. I am not sure how we could make this a special for B&Bs.
Do a cache and find out how many caches are in your area. Could be a weekend built around looking for them all.

Isn't the question more of what is IN at the INN?
Something people would book the inn for a weekend retreat, like in the scrapbooking mode?

Something people would book the inn for a weekend retreat, like in the scrapbooking mode?.
That is exactly where I was going with the question. Other ideas are interesting. I am looking for a new special with a group.

Something people would book the inn for a weekend retreat, like in the scrapbooking mode?.
That is exactly where I was going with the question. Other ideas are interesting. I am looking for a new special with a group.
Events to draw people into the BnB. Murder mystery, cooking weekends, music events (I would like to know how the music events are going at Willowpond if she has a chance to tell us), photography weekends - I have this one marked down to work on, author book signing weekends. I said geneology as that seems to be a hot item right now - we have people from all over traveling to our area to research their roots, most need plenty of space to spread out and work. Then the outside the BnB packages to draw people to the area, like wine tours/dinners, musical events like festivals, etc.

Events to draw people into the BnB. Murder mystery, cooking weekends, music events (I would like to know how the music events are going at Willowpond if she has a chance to tell us), photography weekends - I have this one marked down to work on, author book signing weekends. I said geneology as that seems to be a hot item right now - we have people from all over traveling to our area to research their roots, most need plenty of space to spread out and work. Then the outside the BnB packages to draw people to the area, like wine tours/dinners, musical events like festivals, etc.
Around here people come for events and not things happening at the B & B. Bicycling is becoming the thing around here right now. Of course lots of outdoor activities such as hiking, canoeing etc..bring folks here.

I was answering with things that you could package with a B&B stay, like the scrapbooking. The geocaching is iffy still. I'd like to see if the restaurants with the wine tastings would give me a small discount for our guests if I package. That's the direction that I was going with Sandynn. :)
I have not had one person book one of my girlfriends getaway packages here. It's a nice little package too. boo hoo....
cry_smile.gif

Everyone here is out and about. We have a new boat tour that you can book but you need at least 40 people! Our neighborhood association is doing it in September. I haven't had luck drawing folks here to hang around at the B&B for something. Which was why I was crying over the girlfriends getaway. I even tried a show package last Fall and no one bit on that. :-(

Everyone here is out and about. We have a new boat tour that you can book but you need at least 40 people! Our neighborhood association is doing it in September. I haven't had luck drawing folks here to hang around at the B&B for something. Which was why I was crying over the girlfriends getaway. I even tried a show package last Fall and no one bit on that. :-(
I really don't know anyone who has been real successful doing in house B & B things around here. Except.....this place...and he is also fast becoming a real recognized chef...his new cookbook is fab!

I really don't know anyone who has been real successful doing in house B & B things around here. Except.....this place...and he is also fast becoming a real recognized chef...his new cookbook is fab!
catlady said:
Their prices are actually very good - our wine tour and stay package is $724 - $775 for two nights and wine tour on Saturady, and we don't include and dinner....
Riki

Geneology is in.
Joe Bloggs said:
Geneology is in
That only works if someone is researching your geographical area. Also it's very record and computer intensive.
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Geneology is in
That only works if someone is researching your geographical area. Also it's very record and computer intensive.
It is "IN" and yes the internet has made it so. :) People are looking at visiting places from their family history. Walking in them, photographing them.
I bet we could (if we're talking BnB promotion) work out something with the local county historical society. We have different events, like the characters in the cemetary where actors portray historical characters etc.
We have had a dozen people here this year so far researching and so excited. Maybe it would fall under Family Reunion/Research weekend?

Geneology is in.
Joe Bloggs said:
Geneology is in
Until my Historical Association went stupid, I had a VERY nice genealogy traffic coming to see the log house (from the inside) and find their "roots". Fortunately, that has been reversed and I can once again take guests into the house. Now I have to REBUILD that traffic (and give them $20 for every set of guests I take there). I have had many room nights from all over the Country - even California (not Shinns) and Washington & Oregon (Shinns - multiple visits yeehaa). I have had members of the Gillum family (only the grandsons do not pay) using here as their base. Genealogy IS big. I have a friend who has traveled all over the Country researching her family - and all of them have used the Internet to get them this far. Our last "family finding" guests closed 2 holes in her tree on this visit. I got her connected with the person who could connect several branches. He is a curmudgeon (being polite) but so full of genealogy..... I will not say what I was thinking.... and did manage to get him on the phone for her. Handed her the phone and a notepad and she was in business.

Back