Search Engine Ad saying No Availability - when they know nothing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google informed us today that they are aware of the issue...
Duh! You think? They knew exactly what they were doing. Or at least somebody at Google knew. It may be that the "somebody" has now been called on the carpet over this, as I'm sure Google doesn't enjoy attracting attention from a senator, just as I try to make sure the Internal Revenue Service doesn't notice that I exist.
Just wish they'd put a link to the website right after where they say "check website for availability"!.
Exactly! Were is the link?? I'm still not happy. That 'Ad' shouldn't be there at all.
When you post to your G+ page, always start your post out with your url. At least the link will be there somewhere.

Quite honestly, I do not Goo us very often and not paid attention to this until now so have no clue how long they have been doing this. I have, in an attempt to be proactive as I am being REactive - posted this on my home page in large letters (spacing added to discourage searches):
It has come to our attention that when one Go ogle's Gill um House Bed & Breakfast a message regarding availability is displayed stating "No Known Availability for these dates". Please know this is being done to small Bed & Breakfasts in many places. We do not pay Google a commission nor for ads. Our availability calendar is shown on this, our own web site. Thank you for reading this. Please contact the B & B or inn directly if you see this message on a Google search..
I just checked your place via Goo gle. I got the "Check Website" message. At least they updated the message.
I went to your site and noticed a minor error. The pictures of your rooms stated Queen, Queen and Full but the words underneath state King, King and Queen. Might want to update that.
Nice place by the way.

Quite honestly, I do not Goo us very often and not paid attention to this until now so have no clue how long they have been doing this. I have, in an attempt to be proactive as I am being REactive - posted this on my home page in large letters (spacing added to discourage searches):
It has come to our attention that when one Go ogle's Gill um House Bed & Breakfast a message regarding availability is displayed stating "No Known Availability for these dates". Please know this is being done to small Bed & Breakfasts in many places. We do not pay Google a commission nor for ads. Our availability calendar is shown on this, our own web site. Thank you for reading this. Please contact the B & B or inn directly if you see this message on a Google search..
I just checked your place via Goo gle. I got the "Check Website" message. At least they updated the message.
I went to your site and noticed a minor error. The pictures of your rooms stated Queen, Queen and Full but the words underneath state King, King and Queen. Might want to update that.
Nice place by the way.
I needed to wait until AFTER the Tesla was done in case I needed to pay the electrician (now I have to pay to return the posts) to get a professional photographer to come do photos. Those photo changes are above my pay grade and I do not want to ask my webmaster to do things twice (those photos are set to click to enlarge - I only can load a photo). He is a busy person. That is why I am limping along with the old photos. I need new rack cards also.
Thank you very much for noticing and giving me the heads up on it. I really do appreciate it - I am known for missing things that are glaring at me.

So is there any way to get a link to your websites in that little box? I notice I can click on the phone number and it takes me to use google phone. hmmmm wondering if there is a workaround. Wondering where the description that comes up is from and if you can work a link in there ....

So is there any way to get a link to your websites in that little box? I notice I can click on the phone number and it takes me to use google phone. hmmmm wondering if there is a workaround. Wondering where the description that comes up is from and if you can work a link in there .....
It comes from Google Local or your Google Plus page I believe.

Sadly, those of you who do business with Booking or other OTAs don't get the "Check Website" link. They're still pushing people to the OTAs to make money.

Sadly, those of you who do business with Booking or other OTAs don't get the "Check Website" link. They're still pushing people to the OTAs to make money..
PhineasSwann said:
Sadly, those of you who do business with Booking or other OTAs don't get the "Check Website" link.
I'm listed on Booking. When I google my place, and in the big box on the right enter a date range with no availability, on mine it says "Check website for rates and availability" but gives no link to Booking or anywhere else. It just leaves them hanging there.
But in the long run, maybe it will cause them to find my website link on the left, and book with me rather than through Booking.

Sadly, those of you who do business with Booking or other OTAs don't get the "Check Website" link. They're still pushing people to the OTAs to make money..
PhineasSwann said:
Sadly, those of you who do business with Booking or other OTAs don't get the "Check Website" link. They're still pushing people to the OTAs to make money.
Yup. Mine shows the box to check a date and that goes to booking. In tiny print underneath it has the 'check website' info. But that could mean any website, not necessarily mine. At least there is a label 'Ads' next to the calendar. But no one will assume another company paid for that ad! They will assume it's MY ad.

PhineasSwann said:
Sadly, those of you who do business with Booking or other OTAs don't get the "Check Website" link.
I'm listed on Booking. When I google my place, and in the big box on the right enter a date range with no availability, on mine it says "Check website for rates and availability" but gives no link to Booking or anywhere else. It just leaves them hanging there.
But in the long run, maybe it will cause them to find my website link on the left, and book with me rather than through Booking.
Arks said:
PhineasSwann said:
No, I get a "check website" too if I have no availability. But someone not using OTA's gets a better deal because they get that immediately, while my guests have to select a booked-up date before they get a verbal referral to my website.

Nice place by the way.
I needed to wait until AFTER the Tesla was done in case I needed to pay the electrician (now I have to pay to return the posts) to get a professional photographer to come do photos. Those photo changes are above my pay grade and I do not want to ask my webmaster to do things twice (those photos are set to click to enlarge - I only can load a photo). He is a busy person. That is why I am limping along with the old photos. I need new rack cards also.
Thank you very much for noticing and giving me the heads up on it. I really do appreciate it - I am known for missing things that are glaring at me.
You are welcome.

PhineasSwann said:
Arks said:
PhineasSwann said:
Arks, did the test and I get the same. Wish it was a link since they did away with the link next to the directions box. I checked it on my phone and the link box does show.

This just in:
Google "No Known Availability" Issue Addressed by Senator King's Office
Many of you are aware that there has been an issue with Google when searching the name of a particular property. A box is presented with the search return on the upper right hand corner of the search return page with info on the property and if the property does not participate with 3rd party bookings sites, these words appear "No known availability for these dates." It is best described by our member, Ben Walters, our member and owner of the Acadia's Oceanside Meadows Inn...
Many people have been involved in the effort to rectify this situation, but most notably Chris Rector of Senator King's office, who is now reporting to me the following.
Statement from Senator King's office- "We appreciate Ms. Burnham and Mr. Rich (of the Atlantean Inn in Bar Harbor) bringing this issue to our attention. Our staff has been in touch with officials at Google who have informed us that the problem should be resolved in the coming days. The tourism industry is a pillar of our state's economy, and Maine's innkeepers deserve to know that information about their businesses is being properly represented."
Google informed us today that they are aware of the issue and have been working on it. They recognize that the language is confusing and, as a result, are in the process of changing the language to "Check website for rates and availability." They expect this change to occur in the next few days.

It will be essential that we all monitor this issue and make sure it happens in the next week or more pressure may need to be applied by Senator King and others who have attempted to right this wrong.
Maine Innkeepers Association.
Wish we could all get an email address to send Senator King a thank you!

This just in:
Google "No Known Availability" Issue Addressed by Senator King's Office
Many of you are aware that there has been an issue with Google when searching the name of a particular property. A box is presented with the search return on the upper right hand corner of the search return page with info on the property and if the property does not participate with 3rd party bookings sites, these words appear "No known availability for these dates." It is best described by our member, Ben Walters, our member and owner of the Acadia's Oceanside Meadows Inn...
Many people have been involved in the effort to rectify this situation, but most notably Chris Rector of Senator King's office, who is now reporting to me the following.
Statement from Senator King's office- "We appreciate Ms. Burnham and Mr. Rich (of the Atlantean Inn in Bar Harbor) bringing this issue to our attention. Our staff has been in touch with officials at Google who have informed us that the problem should be resolved in the coming days. The tourism industry is a pillar of our state's economy, and Maine's innkeepers deserve to know that information about their businesses is being properly represented."
Google informed us today that they are aware of the issue and have been working on it. They recognize that the language is confusing and, as a result, are in the process of changing the language to "Check website for rates and availability." They expect this change to occur in the next few days.

It will be essential that we all monitor this issue and make sure it happens in the next week or more pressure may need to be applied by Senator King and others who have attempted to right this wrong.
Maine Innkeepers Association.
Wish we could all get an email address to send Senator King a thank you!
Sorry no email but I found this for you.
https://www.king.senate.gov/contact

That's great that the wording got changed to at least do no harm. Still an awful user experience. Again, they know they have no data, why present the user with two date pickers when they know there is no data? It gains them nothing but annoyed users.

It ain't over yet folks!
I just looked on Google MAPS for my B&B...
When I checked the dates I knew I had no avail. on Boo king dot com, the wording has not changed.
It states "The hotel might be unavailable for the selected dates."
At least Google Maps shows a link to my site where the big box on Google no longer does.

Back