Search on for Barrie teen and alleged Internet lover, 42

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
question: Do you make sure you visibly see each and every guest? Two weeks ago a man checked in without the other half of the party and I asked him about it and he said she is waiting in the car. It bothered me, so I waited til I heard them both come in and shot out to shake her hand and introduce myself. She was an emergency room RN so was sleeping, there was nothing suss about them, but I felt I needed to make sure.
What do you do when guests arrive after midnight? Do you have any guidelines in place to make sure you have no underage couples like this situation?

question: Do you make sure you visibly see each and every guest? Two weeks ago a man checked in without the other half of the party and I asked him about it and he said she is waiting in the car. It bothered me, so I waited til I heard them both come in and shot out to shake her hand and introduce myself. She was an emergency room RN so was sleeping, there was nothing suss about them, but I felt I needed to make sure.
What do you do when guests arrive after midnight? Do you have any guidelines in place to make sure you have no underage couples like this situation?.
thankfully this kind of thing never happened to us. We did have one EXTREMEly young couple, but husband say everyone looks young compared to us :-( We didn't say anything. But the late check ins hmmmmmm .....guess we are a trusting bunch here. We met everyone eventually....but not if they came in late. Something for everyone to think about these days unfortunately.

Being as small as our B & B is - I see everyone. I wait up until they are in or I decide enough is ehough they are no-show and lock up. (After 2 AM & no call they are no-show!)
My office is in the Library with my desk (and computer) at the door which is at the convergence of the front door and bottom of the staircase - very few get past Madae LaFarge!!

What do you do when guests arrive after midnight? Do you have any guidelines in place to make sure you have no underage couples like this situation?.
I can see the parking lot from where the guests check-in and from most of my space as well. I do get quite a bit of 's/he's in the car' but I've never verified. We only had one situtation where I was creeped out because we NEVER saw her. He came to brekkie without her, we never saw her leave the building and I kept tinking he made HER up. He would look at the door to their room while he was talking about her but he never so much as brought her a cuppa during brekkie.
The only time I was leery was a guy in his 40's with a girl who looked about 15. He told us she was his daughter and did we have a room with 2 beds (we didn't have anything) and when he went to another B&B he told THEM they were married.
How I would handle something like this, I don't know. But good to think about.

Typically we get to see everyone but I always think it's weird when "My wife is waiting in the car"...why? Doesn't happen too often and when it does I try to make it a point to get to "see" the other person. Usually offering to help with bags does the trick!

There has only been one instance where we didn't meet the other half of a couple here. I've checked everyone in since then.

what is the legality here?
does a hotel or b&b have the right to request id if it's supposedly a couple and someone seems underage? what if they say they are parent and child? and can you try to regulate the sleeping arrangements?
i had one situation that bothers me to this day.
older woman (70ish), middle aged man (50ish), teen girl (17 or so?) they had booked the biggest room with a king bed and a twin day bed. not my choice to have my dad or my son bunking with me, but some families do that. in the morning, older woman came to me and apologized that her granddaughter got some menstrual blood on the sheets. i went in to get the sheets and grandmother said she had taken an extra blanket from the closet for 'her' bed .. she slept in the twin day bed. i said, your granddaughter and son slept here?' and i pointed to the king bed and she said, 'oh, it's a big bed.'
yuck.

Back