Search Terms - plural vs singular

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Just got my weekly google places report and wanted to mention that HOTELS - with an S on the end comes up 1000% more than HOTEL (singular).
Not sure if this will help anyone with anything, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Yes, we noticed that a while back, we orginally thought that if your search was singular that search engines automatically added plural in the results... not the case.

can someone explain to me about the google report we get? just a quick review ... what does impressions mean? and how can i get more detail than what i see ... ? i should ask google, right?

O.K., I've only had two cups of coffee this morning. Are you talking about keyword searches? How does this affect us?

can someone explain to me about the google report we get? just a quick review ... what does impressions mean? and how can i get more detail than what i see ... ? i should ask google, right?.
Are you speaking of your GOogle Analytics Stats? I look mostly at the referrer sites, how many unique visitors, keywords people are searching with, time on site and pages viewed.
Remember...meta keywords on your site...are not used by search engines any longer so don't worry about them...Put keywords and phrases in the text/body of your pages.

In the Google Places Report, Hotels showing up more than Hotel is not an indication that one is searched for more than the other, it MAY be only that you show up better in Hotels than hotel, so are getting more impressions and clicks. If you show up equally well for both, then it is an indication that one is searched more than the other.

can someone explain to me about the google report we get? just a quick review ... what does impressions mean? and how can i get more detail than what i see ... ? i should ask google, right?.
Impressions, means how many times your google places listing has been shown in places search results.

Yes, we noticed that a while back, we orginally thought that if your search was singular that search engines automatically added plural in the results... not the case..
Pluralling, actually called "stemming" happens automatically for varying degrees and the amount that it happens in regular search seems to be slightly different than how it happens in Google Places. By design, when people are specifically searching in Places, google usually assumes plural because people are searching for hotels in a region, rather than a specific hotel name.
In either case stemming is not as simple as hotel=hotels. There is a lot of varied weighting that happens depending on the other terms in the search.

Back