Seasonal Differences

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Is there anything you do differently when the seasons change? Earlier or later or extended breakfast times? Serve breakfast outside? Provide iced tea? Any changes to your day to day operations?

When it snows, I shovel out the guests cars - summer I do not have to do that. For the summer I put a throw over my glider (to keep the whatever is in the wood from seeping onto their clothes).
Seasonally I post the what is playing at the drive-in on my happenings page - and it gets hits all the time as people check it. Proves they know I am here!

Movies is a nice extra, weather report is nice too. I never do that here as the weather changes 4 times in one day.
I also put out bug spray in season, for those who are bait for any mozzie in a 5 mile radius like me. I just put a couple outside here and there (but learned from another innmate who was inn the news recently), that bug spray will eat the finish/paint off your porch.

More likely to extend check-in to a later hour in the summer. Will put out iced tea/coffee or lemonade on scorching days. (But will say it annoys me no end when I get dinged for not doing it! 'It would have been nice if they offered us a cool drink on arrival.' Yeesh, the sign says 'bed and breakfast' not 'bed, breakfast and whatever else you can think of!')

Movies is a nice extra, weather report is nice too. I never do that here as the weather changes 4 times in one day.
I also put out bug spray in season, for those who are bait for any mozzie in a 5 mile radius like me. I just put a couple outside here and there (but learned from another innmate who was inn the news recently), that bug spray will eat the finish/paint off your porch..
We got a little weather forecasting station so I don't put the weather report up any more.

I used to put lemonade in a caraffe on our beverage table in the common area in summer and hot spiced apple cider in the winter, but stopped because I had to throw so much of it away. It was a tradition the POs had started, so only the old repeats even knew about it. This change was the first time I really figured out that the world wouldn't stop if I changed some things that had previously been done here. A few little grumbles over the years, then they got over it.
hmmmm....maybe I should have posted this in the what don't you do anymore thread.
devil_smile.gif

I used to put lemonade in a caraffe on our beverage table in the common area in summer and hot spiced apple cider in the winter, but stopped because I had to throw so much of it away. It was a tradition the POs had started, so only the old repeats even knew about it. This change was the first time I really figured out that the world wouldn't stop if I changed some things that had previously been done here. A few little grumbles over the years, then they got over it.
hmmmm....maybe I should have posted this in the what don't you do anymore thread.
devil_smile.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
This change was the first time I really figured out that the world wouldn't stop if I changed some things that had previously been done here.
Isn't that liberating?! I started out by replacing linens, then moved on to a complete reno of the dining room/kitchen, ripping out overgrown plants that were 'cute' when installed but are now hideous in their locations and am now onto stripping the wallpaper. Every little thing makes me feel like I own more of this place!

More seasonal breakfasts - cold fruit soups rather than hot apple soup, flowers from the garden for garnish. Fresh flowers in the bud vases instead of dried.

devil_smile.gif
I was lucky in a way because the previous owners were so rubbish that whatever I did to start was better! plus doing the opposite of what they did was probably the right thing to do! We are constantly refurbishing I was picking out new carpets today for room 10. The trouble is that there is a 4 poster bed in that room and I have no clue how to get it out so I am hoping that they can do it without fingers crossed!

devil_smile.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
This change was the first time I really figured out that the world wouldn't stop if I changed some things that had previously been done here.
Isn't that liberating?! I started out by replacing linens, then moved on to a complete reno of the dining room/kitchen, ripping out overgrown plants that were 'cute' when installed but are now hideous in their locations and am now onto stripping the wallpaper. Every little thing makes me feel like I own more of this place!
Very Liberating!
We are the 3rd owners of the b&b. The original innkeeper was a visionary and created something wonderful. The next innkeepers were great at the "touchy feely" aspect of innkeeping and were horrible business people, so the guests were always very happy which is good, but the business went down and a lot of money was wasted. We came in and felt a huge sense of responsibility for keeping the guests happy and keeping tradition, but had to implement some real business savvy and increase occupancy, rates and profits. Both previous sets of innkeepers lasted 6 years each...Once we passed that 6 year mark I really felt like we were survivors! Like the tv show, we "Outwited, Outplayed & Outlasted". It has our unique mark, but still has a lot of the original vision and character so that when we get repeats from the old days it still feels familiar to them and they appreciate it.
Oh, and didn't it feel good to throw away all those fake plants and clutter!! They actually had balloons and a teddy bear on the beds for check-ins! I just couldn't wait for the 2 week training period to end and get the POs out of "my b&b".
It feels pretty darn good to be the "survivors"!

devil_smile.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
Very Liberating!
We are the 3rd owners of the b&b. The original innkeeper was a visionary and created something wonderful. The next innkeepers were great at the "touchy feely" aspect of innkeeping and were horrible business people, so the guests were always very happy which is good, but the business went down and a lot of money was wasted. We came in and felt a huge sense of responsibility for keeping the guests happy and keeping tradition, but had to implement some real business savvy and increase occupancy, rates and profits. Both previous sets of innkeepers lasted 6 years each...Once we passed that 6 year mark I really felt like we were survivors! Like the tv show, we "Outwited, Outplayed & Outlasted". It has our unique mark, but still has a lot of the original vision and character so that when we get repeats from the old days it still feels familiar to them and they appreciate it.
Oh, and didn't it feel good to throw away all those fake plants and clutter!! They actually had balloons and a teddy bear on the beds for check-ins! I just couldn't wait for the 2 week training period to end and get the POs out of "my b&b".
Breakfast Diva said:
Once we passed that 6 year mark I really felt like we were survivors! Like the tv show, we "Outwited, Outplayed & Outlasted". It has our unique mark, but still has a lot of the original vision and character so that when we get repeats from the old days it still feels familiar to them and they appreciate it.
Very cool.

devil_smile.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
Very Liberating!
I think the OO's here lasted 13 years, I don't know if we'll go that long. But we passed the PO's by 2 years this year.

With the exception of this past winter which was a freak of nature, it's always summer here.
teeth_smile.gif
I guess the only thing I do that is seasonal is turn on the AC in April and turn it off just after Christmas.

Right now it's 90º with 80% humidity. I'm sitting indoors enjoying my new high effiency AC.
When the weather is comfortable outside (about 4 months a year) We serve our guests a glass of wine (or soft beverage of their choice) on the deck overlooking our creek and pond. During the summer, I offer them a cold beer or wine cooler when they arrive to take to their room. It's too blasted hot to sit out, but some of them do. I guess it's an age thing.
We have offered to serve breakfast on the patio since we opened, but we've never had any takers.

We have served breakfast on our deck 2 times this year. The guest love it!

We had guest fridges that were stocked with water and sodas. During the Summer, I'd sometimes put out a pitcher of Lemonade or Sweet Tea and ice water in the Dining Room with a cake for check-ins. This way they could grab something cold to drink before heading to their room.
In the Winter, I'd try to make sure that there was plenty of cocoa mix, hot cider mix, and maybe even a fresh carafe of coffee in the dining room for check-ins if the weather was really cold, which was not that often.
I used different china in the cooler months. Changed up the linens in the dining room all the time.
The only time I did a lot of seasonal decorations was in December. Otherwise, there would just be a few things here and there in the common areas that would relate to the current "holiday".

Back