Second Square hitch

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon Inn

Reaction score
Some very late arriving guests triggered the " I will now charge the card, and send the "We have charged your one night deposit, per the policy you agreed to at booking " response, only when I went to retrieve the card information in order to do the 'card not present' charge, I found I could not access the three digit security code the guest had entered into the online booking system. With Square, that code is needed. I contacted the online booking representative who told me I would not be able to retrieve that number as it is illegal for them to keep it. This is not really a Square hitch, but an incompatibility with our online booking system, which is set up to use with Authorize dot net.
I will have to find a way to work around this, or phone each guest with an "In order to complete your reservation, may I have the three digit code from the back of the card you used to book?".
I was loving Square, and loving my online booking company. Now I have a potential problem. I've only had to charge a no-show once, and the late arrivals did make it, so no harm this time, but I need that security. Any ideas?

Interesting. This would make it impossible to do a deposit using Square because my rez system is not even set up to ask for the security code.

Thank you to whomever made the first post about the 3 digit. I now ask for it as a just in case. I did not used to. Thanks to this Forum, I am able to "cover my bases".

Do you have the Authorize.net CIM (Customer Information Manager)? If you do, it saves all their info so you can just log on to your Authorize.net account, click to use the "virtual terminal" and charge their card directly through Authorize.net. No Square needed.

Do you have the Authorize.net CIM (Customer Information Manager)? If you do, it saves all their info so you can just log on to your Authorize.net account, click to use the "virtual terminal" and charge their card directly through Authorize.net. No Square needed..
No, we don't use Authorize net. Too pricey. Our online booking system is made to be compatible with them. we don't use that, or many of their more advanced features. When I come up with an acceptable work-around, I'll post.

Thank you to whomever made the first post about the 3 digit. I now ask for it as a just in case. I did not used to. Thanks to this Forum, I am able to "cover my bases"..
Do you ask via phone conversation?

I had the same thing happen when using Square. Guest was a no show so I went to charge the card and didn't have the 3 digit code. I am using Superinn to take my reservations so I am now asking for the code on the phone and on the online reservation form so this doesn't happen again. I'm also having a lot of problems with that darn plug in swiper. I have to stand there and swipe the card sometimes 5 times before it takes the number. Just a poor design in my opinion and I have two plug in swipers and they both do the same thing.

Just a reminder that the new cc regulations do not permit the "notation" of the CID code in any form unless it is encrypted so please be careful about making statements that you note it on the res forms because you can get fined major buckeroos by VI\MC etc. The problem with Square is the same as when online cc processing was introduced... They are not designed for hospitality where we have unique needs like advance processing, card not present, no shows etc. They are designed for retail operation. One day, if there is enough demand, ...or if they land contract with a major hospitality or similar operation (car rental, airlines tc) you will see them starting to take into account all our specific needs.

Just a reminder that the new cc regulations do not permit the "notation" of the CID code in any form unless it is encrypted so please be careful about making statements that you note it on the res forms because you can get fined major buckeroos by VI\MC etc. The problem with Square is the same as when online cc processing was introduced... They are not designed for hospitality where we have unique needs like advance processing, card not present, no shows etc. They are designed for retail operation. One day, if there is enough demand, ...or if they land contract with a major hospitality or similar operation (car rental, airlines tc) you will see them starting to take into account all our specific needs..
agoodman said:
Just a reminder that the new cc regulations do not permit the "notation" of the CID code in any form unless it is encrypted .
I wouldn't put it in the notes but there is an area in the credit card field for the code and then it goes hidden unless I click on the card information. If it is illegal then the reservation system company should just not allow it. Maybe someday they will have to change it.

Just a reminder that the new cc regulations do not permit the "notation" of the CID code in any form unless it is encrypted so please be careful about making statements that you note it on the res forms because you can get fined major buckeroos by VI\MC etc. The problem with Square is the same as when online cc processing was introduced... They are not designed for hospitality where we have unique needs like advance processing, card not present, no shows etc. They are designed for retail operation. One day, if there is enough demand, ...or if they land contract with a major hospitality or similar operation (car rental, airlines tc) you will see them starting to take into account all our specific needs..
Yep. The reason these security codes were introduced is to have a way to verify that someone has the card in their possession. They are not allowed to be stored, period (not even encrypted). If they were stored it would defeat the purpose of the code.
They are an added layer of protection in case a database with credit card info is compromised. It is more difficult to use stolen credit card numbers without having the code.

Yep. The reason these security codes were introduced is to have a way to verify that someone has the card in their possession. They are not allowed to be stored, period (not even encrypted). If they were stored it would defeat the purpose of the code.
They are an added layer of protection in case a database with credit card info is compromised. It is more difficult to use stolen credit card numbers without having the code.
SJI yes, as long as the systems are CCI compliant and the 3 digit code is encrypted the CID code is being stored... WE may not be able to read it / see it / retrieve it but the same way you can log in to authorize.net and get the info, there are companies that can read / pull / see the info
they put on these restrictions and regulations but they forget we are trying to run businesses that may not fit in with how they modeled these regs and may not be workable for non standard / other than retail ops

Thank you to whomever made the first post about the 3 digit. I now ask for it as a just in case. I did not used to. Thanks to this Forum, I am able to "cover my bases"..
Anon Inn said:
Yes. I do not like entering my cc# online so I have my RezKey set up for no cc#. I call for cc# and get dietary info that they do not bother to enter on the online form. It also gives me a chance to find out if they are coming for something special or where they are coming from (sometimes we are the homeward bound) so I can give directions.
The response they get with the reservation is they will be called within 24 hours for the cc#. So far, it is working well for me. After they leave, I cut the number off the bottom of the rez card and put it in the shredder.
Re the swiping of the card, it so far usually takes me 2 tries. I am getting better at it. Just have to hold the card straight and swipe quickly.
Adding to anon - I put the 3 digits in a different place so they are not tied to the card except by me.

Anon Inn said:
Yes. I do not like entering my cc# online so I have my RezKey set up for no cc#. I call for cc# and get dietary info that they do not bother to enter on the online form. It also gives me a chance to find out if they are coming for something special or where they are coming from (sometimes we are the homeward bound) so I can give directions.
The response they get with the reservation is they will be called within 24 hours for the cc#. So far, it is working well for me. After they leave, I cut the number off the bottom of the rez card and put it in the shredder.
Re the swiping of the card, it so far usually takes me 2 tries. I am getting better at it. Just have to hold the card straight and swipe quickly.
Adding to anon - I put the 3 digits in a different place so they are not tied to the card except by me.
Thanks. I'll change our automatic confirmation letter to include 'a follow-up call will be made', or something to that effect.
I used to have to swipe several times for the card to 'take', but recently I've been doing it in one.
regular_smile.gif
If there's a hesitation after the swipe, an 'authorizing' will soon follow.

For all the extra work you are having to do to use square is it worth it? You like taking the time to call and ask for the 3 digit code for every reservation? My time is so short I would pay an extra $100 bucks a month to not deal with it! I love the fact that when someone makes a reservation, it charges the card automatically! Square is good for having a garage sale! But all the extra work you are doing is it worth it?

For all the extra work you are having to do to use square is it worth it? You like taking the time to call and ask for the 3 digit code for every reservation? My time is so short I would pay an extra $100 bucks a month to not deal with it! I love the fact that when someone makes a reservation, it charges the card automatically! Square is good for having a garage sale! But all the extra work you are doing is it worth it?.
Bob said:
For all the extra work you are having to do to use square is it worth it? You like taking the time to call and ask for the 3 digit code for every reservation? My time is so short I would pay an extra $100 bucks a month to not deal with it! I love the fact that when someone makes a reservation, it charges the card automatically! Square is good for having a garage sale! But all the extra work you are doing is it worth it?
Don't blame square, it is the reservation prgrm they are using. I get the v-code on mine. I have to admit swiping an intl card with no additional fees made me do the happy dance.

For all the extra work you are having to do to use square is it worth it? You like taking the time to call and ask for the 3 digit code for every reservation? My time is so short I would pay an extra $100 bucks a month to not deal with it! I love the fact that when someone makes a reservation, it charges the card automatically! Square is good for having a garage sale! But all the extra work you are doing is it worth it?.
Bob said:
Don't blame square, it is the reservation prgrm they are using. I get the v-code on mine. I have to admit swiping an intl card with no additional fees made me do the happy dance.
I understand the concept and from the outside it looks like a great deal! I almost feel for it! I took all of my charges cc, aut.net and so on. I totaled them all up and found I was paying less than 2% for the month! Am I missing the boat here? I don't understand where the savings is with Square! I would be losing .5% more by going with Square!

I do not DO any extra work. I am extremely happy with the ease of use, did not have to tell a guest I do not take Amex, and the speed of it hitting my checking account - all wonderful!! I have so few no-shows that if it becomes a problem, I will skip the little numbers.

Bob said:
I understand the concept and from the outside it looks like a great deal! I almost feel for it! I took all of my charges cc, aut.net and so on. I totaled them all up and found I was paying less than 2% for the month! Am I missing the boat here? I don't understand where the savings is with Square! I would be losing .5% more by going with Square!
Bob said:
Then don't switch, most of us are not using auth.net
It takes a lot to change processing methods, and getting fed up seems to be the one way to get our rear in gear!
We are all diff, not everyone has high occupancy, or more than 3 rooms, so for some this is the better way to go on this. Each innkeeper needs to assess their needs and requirements.

Bob said:
Bob, Last month I had NO transactions with the cc processor - everyone paid with cash, check, and 3 charged with me using Square. I waited to cancel so they could take any fees still owed because I could not remember If I had used the machine. On zero transactions, I was charged $22.90. Considering the fact there are several months in the year that I may HAVE no charges (either no reservations or they pay in cash - love those horse people). that is a heck of a lot more than 2.75%. I prefer to pay only for services rendered.
Winter in my location is dead. I am too far from the ski areas, do not get enough snow usually for cross-country skiing, it is to cold for walking on the rail-trail but not cold enough for brisk activity (making you too hot in your coat), and the attractions that would draw people in are closed. It is Legislative Session Season and I am making trips to the Capital so it is just as well that it is so slow to dead.

Bob said:
Bob, Last month I had NO transactions with the cc processor - everyone paid with cash, check, and 3 charged with me using Square. I waited to cancel so they could take any fees still owed because I could not remember If I had used the machine. On zero transactions, I was charged $22.90. Considering the fact there are several months in the year that I may HAVE no charges (either no reservations or they pay in cash - love those horse people). that is a heck of a lot more than 2.75%. I prefer to pay only for services rendered.
Winter in my location is dead. I am too far from the ski areas, do not get enough snow usually for cross-country skiing, it is to cold for walking on the rail-trail but not cold enough for brisk activity (making you too hot in your coat), and the attractions that would draw people in are closed. It is Legislative Session Season and I am making trips to the Capital so it is just as well that it is so slow to dead.
I gotcha! That makes sense! I never thought about seasonal properties! Probably will save you some money!

Back