Second time cancellation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our cancel policy says that if you cancel your payment is non-refundable less than 60 days prior to arrival unless we are able to rerent the space..
Crystal B said:
Our cancel policy says that if you cancel your payment is non-refundable less than 60 days prior to arrival unless we are able to rerent the space.
Wow! That is easily the most prohibitive cancellation policy I have ever seen in any lodging sector.
Do you mean if its a multi-cancellation type guest like the one PT is dealing with or is that your general everyday policy?
This is our everyday policy. We only have 2 rooms and cannot afford a last minute cancellation.
We have not had any issue with our cancel policy. I have never lost a booking as far as I know due to our policy either.
We also require payment in full 60 days out.
I can not tell you how many times I was glad we had that policy because people seemed "wishy washy" and it felt like they wanted to book up a bunch of places then decide once they get here.
Our rooms are quite full, usually we run 70% occupancy.
I still can't understand how someone can have a policy that allows guests to cancel at the last minute and leave you with a room you can't resell and a mortgage that is due.
Why is it up to us to take the loss for a guests change of plans?
Joe - you are right we are in Hawaii
Crystal B said:
I still can't understand how someone can have a policy that allows guests to cancel at the last minute and leave you with a room you can't resell and a mortgage that is due.
Most of our policies charge full price for "last minute" cancellations. What we are talking about here is when they cancel far in advance of the scheduled date.
It may not be intended, but quite frankly, I find your responses a little condescending to the rest of us. Hawaii is a little different from Podunk, Texas. There is a bit more demand for your accommodations that in other locales. Some of us have to adapt to survive.
I have to agree with PT. The overwhelming majority of B&B's in the US have cancellation policies that range from 7-14 days in length. Crystal, your policy is in the overwhelming minority...in fact I have never heard of any other Inn having a 60 day policy. Perhaps being in HI and only having two rooms allows you to get away with it.
Mine is 48 hours. But if I get a cancel, it is usually at least a week before.

Our cancel policy says that if you cancel your payment is non-refundable less than 60 days prior to arrival unless we are able to rerent the space..
Crystal B said:
Our cancel policy says that if you cancel your payment is non-refundable less than 60 days prior to arrival unless we are able to rerent the space.
Wow! That is easily the most prohibitive cancellation policy I have ever seen in any lodging sector.
Do you mean if its a multi-cancellation type guest like the one PT is dealing with or is that your general everyday policy?
This is our everyday policy. We only have 2 rooms and cannot afford a last minute cancellation.
We have not had any issue with our cancel policy. I have never lost a booking as far as I know due to our policy either.
I can not tell you how many times I was glad we had that policy because people seemed "wishy washy" and it felt like they wanted to book up a bunch of places then decide once they get here.
Crystal B said:
Most of our policies charge full price for "last minute" cancellations. What we are talking about here is when they cancel far in advance of the scheduled date.
It may not be intended, but quite frankly, I find your responses a little condescending to the rest of us. Hawaii is a little different from Podunk, Texas. There is a bit more demand for your accommodations that in other locales. Some of us have to adapt to survive.
I have to agree with PT. The overwhelming majority of B&B's in the US have cancellation policies that range from 7-14 days in length. Crystal, your policy is in the overwhelming minority...in fact I have never heard of any other Inn having a 60 day policy. Perhaps being in HI and only having two rooms allows you to get away with it.
Little Blue said:
I agree with PT as well. In fact, we would have to tell anyone that is booking that their booking is non-refundable as the only bookings we get 2 months out are for October (Virginia Wine Month and Leaf Peepers) and one weekend in May that is UVA graduation.
So since everyone books less than two months out we'd simply have to say "Thank you for your reservation. We will be charging your stay to your credit card. This charge is not refundable for any reason"
Would not survive or get any bookings that way.
PS we get very few cancellations with our 10 day out policy
Riki

Crystal B said:
Crystal B said:
Like you said we do have to adapt to survive. Meaning I would rather not hold space for someone who is not serious. I would rather rent it to someone who is really going to use it (or pay for it).
Yes Hawaii is different than other locals. Just like Podunk Texas it different that Hawaii. I think we are all here to share our experiences and policies so we can enlighten each other.
Sorry if you find my way of doing things "condescending" I am just trying to understand how you all can afford to do it this way considering the considerable expense you have. (Fancy robes and Bath and Body Works Soap !!) Maybe instead of being offended you should look at as if I am concerned for you breaking you backs and putting your heart and soul into something and just letting "customers" cancel and leave you holding the bag.

Crystal B said:
Crystal B said:
Like you said we do have to adapt to survive. Meaning I would rather not hold space for someone who is not serious. I would rather rent it to someone who is really going to use it (or pay for it).
Yes Hawaii is different than other locals. Just like Podunk Texas it different that Hawaii. I think we are all here to share our experiences and policies so we can enlighten each other.
Sorry if you find my way of doing things "condescending" I am just trying to understand how you all can afford to do it this way considering the considerable expense you have. (Fancy robes and Bath and Body Works Soap !!) Maybe instead of being offended you should look at as if I am concerned for you breaking you backs and putting your heart and soul into something and just letting "customers" cancel and leave you holding the bag.
Do you ever have guests cancel only one night of an extended stay? I would be interested in how you present the total bill for them to pay and how you handle them flat out refusing to pay for the night they missed. We just do not like confrontation. Do you tell the guest to leave completely?
Our guests who canceled last night showed up today and still want to stay 3 nights. We can do that for them so it's not real loss that the 3rd night is not last night but Saturday, because if Saturday isn't booked at this point it's not gonna be. However, they were not going to pay for last night at all. So, what do I do? Tell them to leave?
If you only have to charge a card and not deal with the guest in person that's easy. I want to know how you get the guest standing in front of you to pay when they don't want to pay for something they didn't use?

They booked 3 nights. They will pay for 3 nights by extending their stay because they missed one night. They refused to pay for last night. So, do I tell them to leave right now or take the 9 room nights but on different nights than what was booked?
Now if I did not have 3 rooms open for them on Saturday, what then? What does anyone say to the guest who won't pay for the night they missed when they are standing in front of you with all the other guests listening in?

i didn't read crystal b's response as condescending. she is speaking from her location and her point of view ~~ wouldn't work where i am but it works for her. it's not wrong for her to tell us how it is there! (drool tho i may!)
if the area b&b's have more flexible policies than i do, i have to decide (and guess) if it works out better for me in the end (less cancellations) or if it hurts me in the end (fewer rooms booked).
moose trax ~ so your question is how to deal with this situation ... let's say the flight was delayed to wherever and guests arrive but a day late. so if they don't pay for the nite you held for them, you've lost a nite's revenue for that room ... and they want to make it up by extending their stay another nite, but not paying for an additional nite. is that right? i think this should have its own thread!

moose trax ~ this REALLY NEEDS its own thread.
makes a difference with me if i have open rooms on the new last nite of their stay and if i don't suppose i'll likely get walkins. (lots of guesswork)
what reason did they give for missing the first nite?
woah! just re-read this and it's THREE rooms for three nites?
i'd likely give in if it meant that all three rooms were going to walk and they'd be vacant for two more nites. jeez.
c'mon -- new thread -- this is a gem and it's buried in here.
devil_smile.gif

They booked 3 nights. They will pay for 3 nights by extending their stay because they missed one night. They refused to pay for last night. So, do I tell them to leave right now or take the 9 room nights but on different nights than what was booked?
Now if I did not have 3 rooms open for them on Saturday, what then? What does anyone say to the guest who won't pay for the night they missed when they are standing in front of you with all the other guests listening in?.
MooseTrax said:
Now if I did not have 3 rooms open for them on Saturday, what then? What does anyone say to the guest who won't pay for the night they missed when they are standing in front of you with all the other guests listening in?
MT - I agree with SS, this needs its own thread to get the most discussion and the best advice.... This is a very good topic!
IMMHO, I would just go with it as it is, you are still getting the 3 nights for 3 rooms and since you humblely admitted that you most likely could not have filled the 3 rooms for Sat, then what really is the difference??! If you stand your ground and make them pay for last night, they will most likely walk OR would only stay the previously committed time and be a pain in your side the entire time. You are still making the same $$. My reply may be different if you knew you could sell all 3 for Sat. night and if I knew your policies better.

Crystal B said:
Crystal B said:
Do you ever have guests cancel only one night of an extended stay? I would be interested in how you present the total bill for them to pay and how you handle them flat out refusing to pay for the night they missed. We just do not like confrontation. Do you tell the guest to leave completely?
Our guests who canceled last night showed up today and still want to stay 3 nights. We can do that for them so it's not real loss that the 3rd night is not last night but Saturday, because if Saturday isn't booked at this point it's not gonna be. However, they were not going to pay for last night at all. So, what do I do? Tell them to leave?
If you only have to charge a card and not deal with the guest in person that's easy. I want to know how you get the guest standing in front of you to pay when they don't want to pay for something they didn't use?
The payment is received in full 60 days prior to arrival, or if it less than 60 days prior to arrival we take payment in full - so we have all that taken care of in advance.
I have had guests who change thier dates by a day or two and I have no problem adjusting the reservation as long as I have availablity.
When someone is on my doorstep telling me that they cannot stay the amount of days that they reserved I give the full sypmathy treatment
cry_smile.gif
"Oh no! how sad that you won't be staying with us the entire time, are you sure? I will go into my office right now and open up your dates so hopefully we can rebook them for you - do want us to send you a check or paypal invoice if we rebook?" or something along those lines.
and I do reopen thier dates immediately.
I have never had a guest get angry with me. It states very clearly in thier confirmation what our cancel policy is. For those that are hesitant about the cancel policy I just explain to them that we are a very small business and we cannot afford to let space sit empty for changes of plans. The majority of the time I can rebook the space. I think this also puts the pressure on them incase they do have to cancel they will do it as soon as they know to increase the chance of us rebooking the space.
Oh and I did make an exeption one time for someone in the military who was shipping out.

Now if I did not have 3 rooms open for them on Saturday, what then? What does anyone say to the guest who won't pay for the night they missed when they are standing in front of you with all the other guests listening in?.
I'm one of the toughest ones I know about sticking with my cancellation policy, but even I would take what they are offering right now. Under these conditions, take the 3 rooms for 3 nights and call it even. That way you get your 9 room nights, everybody is happy and you won't have to deal with attitudes.

Crystal B said:
Crystal B said:
Crystal B said:
I'm not breaking my back and your way of doing things is not condescending, it's your whole tone. We're doing just fine as are many others in this forum.

error...repeat post

Crystal B said:
Crystal B said:
The payment is received in full 60 days prior to arrival, or if it less than 60 days prior to arrival we take payment in full - so we have all that taken care of in advance.
I have had guests who change thier dates by a day or two and I have no problem adjusting the reservation as long as I have availablity.
When someone is on my doorstep telling me that they cannot stay the amount of days that they reserved I give the full sypmathy treatment
cry_smile.gif
"Oh no! how sad that you won't be staying with us the entire time, are you sure? I will go into my office right now and open up your dates so hopefully we can rebook them for you - do want us to send you a check or paypal invoice if we rebook?" or something along those lines.
and I do reopen thier dates immediately.
I have never had a guest get angry with me. It states very clearly in thier confirmation what our cancel policy is. For those that are hesitant about the cancel policy I just explain to them that we are a very small business and we cannot afford to let space sit empty for changes of plans. The majority of the time I can rebook the space. I think this also puts the pressure on them incase they do have to cancel they will do it as soon as they know to increase the chance of us rebooking the space.
Oh and I did make an exeption one time for someone in the military who was shipping out.
We are discussing taking deposits now because the cancellations are getting so frequent and the guests are getting so much more belligerant because they say they are canceling because they can't afford to come and now they are going to be paying anyway.
60 days' cancellation won't fly around here. We have trouble with 30 days' for events. Full payment in advance would cut my bookings to 0. We're not in a tourist destination that will support that. There are too many small and large lodging properties in a very small area.
Guests don't have to plan to come here. I think of going to HI as something I need to plan. It's so far away, to me! As a matter of fact I just got a booking for tomorrow night. They 'thought about it' this morning and didn't get around to calling until now. They'll leave after work tomorrow and get here around 9 PM. Not really the same sort of thing you have there, I wouldn't think. But maybe you get a lot of weekenders, too, I don't know.
Everyone I know from HI says they leave the islands to go on vacation because living there is like being in a small town. Everyone knows your business!
See, if I had their money in hand, I would do what you do. We don't take deposits as of now because no one in this area takes deposits. We've reduced our cancellation period by a week because other places are down to one day. We're still at a week, but it was two weeks.

moose trax ~ this REALLY NEEDS its own thread.
makes a difference with me if i have open rooms on the new last nite of their stay and if i don't suppose i'll likely get walkins. (lots of guesswork)
what reason did they give for missing the first nite?
woah! just re-read this and it's THREE rooms for three nites?
i'd likely give in if it meant that all three rooms were going to walk and they'd be vacant for two more nites. jeez.
c'mon -- new thread -- this is a gem and it's buried in here.
devil_smile.gif
Why they canceled last night- flight canceled. I have no reason to disbelieve them. They are also repeats which generally gets you a lot of slack around here but it's been a big week for cancellations. So far, 10 room nights canceled in the past 4 days.
I'm not sure what the new thread should be about. We've talked about what to do with cancellations before- give 'em a gift certificate, charge them fully, let them off, let them rebook for different nights.

Crystal B said:
Crystal B said:
Crystal B said:
I'm not breaking my back and your way of doing things is not condescending, it's your whole tone. We're doing just fine as are many others in this forum.
I never said you weren't doing fine! I just think that guests don't realize the amount of effort we put into our business.
I think you are too defensive.
Maybe instead of honest feedback you really only wanted sympathy.
Be sure to let us know in advance which you want before you start a thread whining about your own policies

Crystal B said:
Crystal B said:
Crystal B said:
Proud Texan said:
Crystal B said:
We're not breaking our back etiher. We have a cancellation policy of 10 days and we charge if they don't show or cancel at the last minute. Our point is, nobody would book us if we had our cancellation policy 60 days out.
We are under 2 hours from DC and have been getting bookings anywhere from two weeks to two days out. They are right now more often than not govt workers and miliatary and absolutely lovely guests.
The folks we are getting right now that book further out are absolute gems too - more often than not someone getting time off from Iraq or Afghanistan needing to see mountains and forest and wineries. We don't tell them, but don't apply the cancellation policy to them if something comes up. I figure they are under enough pressure and strain. But none of them have had to cancel etiher. We usually give them a suprise discount.
Riki

Crystal B said:
Crystal B said:
Crystal B said:
I never said you weren't doing fine! I just think that guests don't realize the amount of effort we put into our business.
Be sure to let us know in advance which you want before you start a thread whining about your own policies
Crystal B said:
Let's both take a deep breath before this escalates. Maybe I misread your statements. If I did, I apologize. AND I hardly think asking advise for an unusual situation is "whining." Truce.
smiley-gen164.gif

Wow, got into this one way too late. I don't find Crystal B. condescending at all, she is simply stating what works for her.
MT, I whole-heartedly share your dislike of confrontation, but even more than confrontation I dislike feeling like a chump...which is how I felt after I "let a few people go" because I didn't want to get into it with them. We have very strict policies, they apply to everyone, if something happens that is unfortunate but it is not my problem.
I do exactly what Crystal outlined: "I'm so sorry you won't be able to stay your original length of time, I will open that up right away and try to re-sell it for you"...

For what it's worth, here is our cancellation policy. Since I added the last sentence on our website, webervations and confirmation letter, I have found I have less occasions where people are trying to weasle out at the last minute and no decrease in reservations:
  • Cancellations require ten days notice prior to arrival, or deposit will be forfeited and you will be charged for the entire length of your reservation. A $25 cancellation fee applies to all cancellations with a 10 or more day notice. Early departures WILL be charged for the reserved time period. Because last minute cancellations greatly affect us, our cancellation policy is strictly enforced.

Back